Poll

What kind of amp do you use with your Rhodes?

Suitcase
18 (17.8%)
Super Satellite
2 (2%)
Janus I
4 (4%)
Fender Twin
14 (13.9%)
Roland JC-120
9 (8.9%)
Other
51 (50.5%)
I Don't
3 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: September 12, 2006, 01:14:07 AM

Author Topic: What kind of amp do you use with your Rhodes?  (Read 101618 times)

Offline kineticturtle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
    • http://kineticturtle.blogspot.com
I finally found my dream amp, actually.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 03:46:24 AM »
I'm huge on the low end of my rhodes, but I also want to be able to get the sparkle of the high end, but still get the old-school Fender tube tone...

A bandmate of mine was trying to quickly sell an amp just like that, a Fender Bassman 50! So, now it and my Mark II are a pair. Aren't they so pretty together?

Btw, the fx in this photo are not some kind of permanent setup, those were for a specific recording session I was preparing for at the time.

I personally find that the interaction between instrument and amplifier is simply too important to allow myself to run direct or use some kind of simulated amp.

Offline andi85

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
Tah! Nice. I like your green harp cover, too.
I love the amp/instrument interaction, too, but I think running direct can also produce nice sounds.
Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!

Offline martin

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/user1354663
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 08:32:52 AM »
i use a kc 350. good clean sound, but not the best. its great for my nord stage though, but after borrowing a silverface twin i havent been satisfied with my rhodes ever since. twins are the best ive used!!
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

Offline Jordy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: I finally found my dream amp, actually.
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »
Quote from: "kineticturtle"
I'm huge on the low end of my rhodes, but I also want to be able to get the sparkle of the high end, but still get the old-school Fender tube tone...

A bandmate of mine was trying to quickly sell an amp just like that, a Fender Bassman 50! So, now it and my Mark II are a pair. Aren't they so pretty together?

Btw, the fx in this photo are not some kind of permanent setup, those were for a specific recording session I was preparing for at the time.

I personally find that the interaction between instrument and amplifier is simply too important to allow myself to run direct or use some kind of simulated amp.

NICE! melodica!
'71 Stage 73  >>  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Offline Jordy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »
Quote from: "joseph"
i used to use a jc120, but didn't like it, now i'm going pretty much straight into the pa. i kinda fatten the rhodes up per insert with ensoniq dp4 though.

What did you not like about it?

Offline suitcasepiano

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bluestoned.com
Re: What kind of amp do you use with your Rhodes?
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 02:38:08 PM »
Quote from: "james"
A very hot topic, I know....

Sometimes I use my '79 Mk I Stage 73 with only one Janus I and a silverface Twin Reverb to get an extra growl from the tubes.
I like to use the Piano Bass with a quite uncommon setup consisting of a Fender XFL 1000 Power Speaker (4x12, solid state) and a Peavey Channel Strip with spring reverb as a preamp. This also is my favorite setup for my Wurlitzer 200. Big and fat sound and still some crunch, if you want it. Very cool sound ! Bless every vintage piano fan on the planet ! Greetings from Germany !
1974 FenderRhodes Suitcase Mk I 88
1979 Rhodes Stage Mk I 73 w/ preamp and 2 Janus I
1973 FenderRhodes PianoBass

Offline garagebandking41

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »
I used to use this new Princeton Amp DSP Chorus. Bright and bassy tone, could hear the highs real well, and it's a stereo amp w/ stereo effect loops and everything, had an okay chorus effect. But now I've plugged into my old Bassman 100 with what I think is the Bassman 50 cab. Two 12"s and 4 6L6's in there make it sound a lot warmer, but I've lost those highs. Those transition tip hardness areas sound smoother though. I can also plug in other crazy instruments at jam sessions with the two different channels and four inputs all together.

I have the same setup as kineticturtle - position wise, and now that i've looked at that cab, mine is the same. My left ear is punished. 1974 Mark I instead of course.
Noisy Wurltizer 200a
Buggy Moog LP Tribute
Heavy Rhodes Mark V

Offline kineticturtle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
    • http://kineticturtle.blogspot.com
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Quote from: "garagebandking41"
Two 12"s...I have the same setup as kineticturtle - position wise, and now that i've looked at that cab, mine is the same.

My cab has 2 15"s.  :)

Offline garagebandking41

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 12:22:48 AM »
Quote from: "kineticturtle"
Quote from: "garagebandking41"
Two 12"s...I have the same setup as kineticturtle - position wise, and now that i've looked at that cab, mine is the same.

My cab has 2 15"s.  :)

You're right! I just looked at my papers and they are 15"s Eminence. They give you the readouts on the cones and everything, never bothered to look at those details until now. And by details I mean the fact that I can't discern between 12 and 15 inches. The princeton I have has 12's in it...I feel a little bit better now.
Noisy Wurltizer 200a
Buggy Moog LP Tribute
Heavy Rhodes Mark V

Offline mirko

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »
Janus system rocks :)

Offline suitcasepiano

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bluestoned.com
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »
Quote from: "mirko"
Janus system rocks :)
Absolutely !
1974 FenderRhodes Suitcase Mk I 88
1979 Rhodes Stage Mk I 73 w/ preamp and 2 Janus I
1973 FenderRhodes PianoBass

Offline andi85

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
For going straight to the house, I recently ran across a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman MkI. For my ears just right.

Offline Samm Bee

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
Hi :)

I've owned in the past years a The Twin Red knob and a Jazz chorus 77 amps but none of them satisfied me.
The first one, whilst in very good condition, was hard too play at apartement level, with a lot of breath...Only at ease when volume pushed very high...Great sound, but very coloredl. But let's say too powerfull for my needs....and what a f.... heavy amp!!!. The second was also very noisy.; i loved the chorus, but i didn't used it....And it lacked of low end response.
I've finally obtained great results with my Markbass STD 210HF and LM250 head, with an small electronic preamp hand made in France, plugged between the cinch of the harp and the volume buttons. Called "Crystal preamp", it increases the output level of 12db , boosts the high mids to obtain a more balanced sound on the overall spectrum, without any breath.) . The whole provides a neutral sound , such as a PA system, real bass response, and a REALLY clean , detailled and WARM sound., very powerfull and punchy, never obtained on my Twin. It works as a return speaker or a stand alone amp for smaller venues, and can also be  played quietly at home ;) The cabinet weights 23 kgs and the head only 2,5kgs ! Brian Auger will use one these cabs for his next concerts ...

Offline Jordy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »
Quote from: "Samm Bee"
Hi :)

I've owned in the past years a The Twin Red knob and a Jazz chorus 77 amps but none of them satisfied me.
The first one, whilst in very good condition, was hard too play at apartement level, with a lot of breath...Only at ease when volume pushed very high...Great sound, but very coloredl. But let's say too powerfull for my needs....and what a f.... heavy amp!!!. The second was also very noisy.; i loved the chorus, but i didn't used it....And it lacked of low end response.
I've finally obtained great results with my Markbass STD 210HF and LM250 head, with an small electronic preamp hand made in France, plugged between the cinch of the harp and the volume buttons. Called "Crystal preamp", it increases the output level of 12db , boosts the high mids to obtain a more balanced sound on the overall spectrum, without any breath.) . The whole provides a neutral sound , such as a PA system, real bass response, and a REALLY clean , detailled and WARM sound., very powerfull and punchy, never obtained on my Twin. It works as a return speaker or a stand alone amp for smaller venues, and can also be  played quietly at home ;) The cabinet weights 23 kgs and the head only 2,5kgs ! Brian Auger will use one these cabs for his next concerts ...

a 77 has 8½" speakers, ofcourse the bass is crap

Offline Samm Bee

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 01:46:11 PM »

No, 10"  :wink: [/code]

Offline Jordy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »
Quote from: "Samm Bee"

No, 10"  :wink: [/code]

:oops:

Offline jeff da rhode

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
Peavey Classic 30 Tweed

Offline martin

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/user1354663
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 10:59:21 AM »
i just got a traynor YGL-3 Mk3, and i've been running it through my housmates ampeg bass amp. it sounds like a twin, but with a bit more crunch.
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

Offline Clavier

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »
I recently discovered that the Fender Princeton Chorus is one of my favorite amps to use with a Rhodes. Kind of like a JC-120. Cheap, great sound!  :D
Keys: Rhodes Mk1 Suitcase, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Hammond RT-2

Amplification: Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »
No amp.  Just a Tubeworks Blue Tube rackmount preamp then straight to PA/recording.

The blue tube does a stellar job of transforming a thick muddy Rhodes into a dynamic instrument whose timbre varies from soft bell to hard full depending on how hard I play it.  The blue tube is designed for bass and has mild overdrive, but you can also dial the contour and bias of the tube and this has a big effect on shaping the tone of the Rhodes.

Works a hell of a lot better than EQ or any processing.

Offline kjellg

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
    • http://legtrio.com
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 11:44:28 AM »
I,m using a JC-160.
Anyone have experience with this amp on Rhodes?

How is the twinreverb compare to the JC?(I know they use tubes)

Offline NikiBelucci

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q-tuner.com
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »
I use a DIY valve class A amp, with- very important- a neodymium powered ribbon tweeter. :D

Offline idrewblood

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
suitcase or GK400rb.  line 6 delay, rat distortion, small clone

Offline MuMajor

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2010, 05:50:05 AM »
I recently ended up giving a new home for a bass combo, an SWR Workingman's 12. Tried it with my Rhodes, and I think it sounds really really good and I am seriously considering to start using this amp on my Rhodes gigs. Very nice clean tones. For crunching it a bit I used Barber LTD SR pedal.
1975 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73 -> AMZ Boost -> Lovetone Meatball -> MXR Phase 90 '74 reissue -> Barber LTD SR -> Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus -> Moody Sounds Tremolo -> SansAmp Bass Driver -> SWR Workingman's 12

Nord Electro Rack 2 + masterkeyboard
Yamaha U3

Offline andi85

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2010, 12:09:23 PM »
Hi guys,

a small update from my part: Last year I got hold of a free but non-functional silverface Fender Vibro Champ and had it fixed up recently - for the "horrendous" grand total of €11.

It's a sweet little amp for practicing at home, and even more so after I replaced the stock speaker with a Jensen C8N. For a really clean sound with the Rhodes I'd consider it slightly underpowered at 6 watts, i.e. at the point where it's reaching the "sweet spot" sound-wise, it's already breaking up. However, the overdrive on full volume sounds very good and musical to me - great for recording in the apartment, too.

Where this little thing absolutely shines, though, is the Wurlitzer. The headroom might even be enough for smaller, rather quiet stages when it's miked up, and it sounds even better than with the Rhodes.

For €61 (fix-up, speaker and shipping), this is a great addition to my rig. If I had to go out and buy an amp for home use, I'd rather go for a little more power, about 15 watts or so.

Offline frogmonkey

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
I'm playing my Mk1 through a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic pedal, then through a Mackie VLZ mixer, direct to the PA.  My stage monitor is a QSC K10.

I'm looking for a better solution.  The Twin Tube sounds ok, and it does boost the signal quite a bit... but it doesn't boost it enough to leave the Mackie's mic preamps out of the chain.    I'm not quite satisfied, and the Twin Tube seems to be failing.

Offline andi85

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2010, 06:13:30 AM »
As much as I liked my Tubeman after I put a fresh 12AX7 in, I never got quite happy with the EQ and also missed a headphone output for nighttime practice. Due to fortunate circumstances I got hold of a brand-new Line6 POD II for only very little money. This little red thing is now my official Rhodes (and Wurlitzer) headphone amp.
I'm quite satisfied with it although it's not perfect and not state of the art anymore. It suffers from the usual drawback of similar modelers: Too many options but only a few of them are actually usable. However, I found a few favorites like the Line6 Clean – a Jazz Chorus with some tube drive. What's really annoying about the POD II is that it can't take the full signal from the Rhodes. It starts to crackle without acually overdriving and without the clip LED flashing. With the piano set to 7, it's ok, though.

Also, I scratch-built an EV TL-806, a popular bass reflex design from the 1980s. Back then, it featured the EVM12, however, the Delta Pro 12 from Eminence is a good substitute and costs a couple of Euros less. Paired with a Dynacord HiFi Favorit II, a 85W German-made tube head from the late 1960s, it's a nice Rhodes amp. However, perhaps paired with a larger amp, I could also imagine it serving as a bass box. In turn, the Dynacord makes a nice Leslie amp for jazz purposes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:28:16 AM by andi85 »

Offline Spookyman

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 02:39:37 AM »
I tryed many combinations...The first one was a Motion Sound KP200S, not bad at all to amplify the Rhodes dry signal. Then i changed for a small 2.1 system from DB Technology, with a small 12' subwoofer and two satellites (6.5' + 1'), in combination with a MXR Preamp, MXR 10 band EQ and MXR Stereo Tremolo. It was cool, as i was able to shape the sound with the 10 band EQ. But it's also noisy...

For the moment, i have 3 possibilities.

1) Fender Twin Reverb Silverface (1975), also with my Rhodes Stage Piano (1975) with StereoVibe Preamp (set on Peterson preamp).
2) Stereo Vibe Preamp directly in my Soundcraft MFX12i mixer and then to the 2 RCF 410a monitors.
3) Jens Lüpke TRamp (tube preamp) directly in Soundcraft mixer and RCF monitors/other studio console...

All 3 are very very good. It's hard to choose ! When i'm playing jazz, i prefer the Twin Reverb. The stereo Vibe is what i'm using for live gigs in other musical directions, and the TRamp is my favorite recording set-up.

The RCF 410a are very good sounding speakers, linear sounding, very powerful (400 watts), compact and light.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 1973

Offline zoooombiex

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
howdy.  just joined this forum, but thought i'd weigh in.  i've been using my rhodes with a tweed bassman for a few years and it sounds excellent.  they have a good amount of headroom and a relatively balanced tone.  they aren't as scooped in the midrange as twins, so it's a different kind of sound.  but it sits well in the mix with a band.  (they're also a lot lighter than a twin!)

the later silverface bassmans also sound nice, but they break up much sooner and are also a little more scooped sounding.

Offline RhodesScholar

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
    • gabenespoli.com
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2011, 02:24:40 PM »
Both the JC120 and Twin sound great, but having tried both they were a little too muddy for my liking. I'm currently playing a '66 Showman (basically a Twin but in a head instead of a combo) with a 1x15 closed-back cabinet. It sounds a lot tighter and crisper than the open back JC & Twin.