Poll

What kind of amp do you use with your Rhodes?

Suitcase
18 (17.8%)
Super Satellite
2 (2%)
Janus I
4 (4%)
Fender Twin
14 (13.9%)
Roland JC-120
9 (8.9%)
Other
51 (50.5%)
I Don't
3 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: September 12, 2006, 01:14:07 AM

Author Topic: What kind of amp do you use with your Rhodes?  (Read 90369 times)

Offline The Real MC

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
Re: What kind of amp do you use with your Rhodes?
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2013, 02:18:41 AM »
The Mosvalve is a solid state amp designed to emulate tubes.

I had the amp turned up halfway and it was not only very loud but the rhodes was still clean, cleaner than the Twin Reverb.

It puts out good high end.  I don't need low end because 1) the Raymacs on the low end waver in pitch so I don't play there often and 2) almost every situation I use the rhodes there is already a bass player.

The Peterson is 80w per side.  Suitcase pianos can get quite loud, I've played at least three of them.

Offline bolero

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »

I have an unltralinear super reverb 4x10 that sounds great

also a musicman RD112

I have a MK1 so I'd like to find an amp with panning trem options though. it looks like a JC120 is the only option for that?

Offline EvanBingham

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2017, 11:44:12 PM »
Bringing back an old topic...

Right now I'm running a single Roland KC-150 that I'm borrowing from work.  Sounds incredible.  Definitely too much sound for our small apartment and I don't gig.

Assuming I stick with Roland, does anyone have experience with KC60, 80, 110, or 220?  They have smaller speakers and I'm wondering if they can handle the bass of my 73.

Offline Billthechief

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2017, 04:22:42 AM »
Hi there,
newbie on this forum, I'm french and own a Fender Rhodes stage mk1 73, 1971. Quite glad with it !

My amp is at the moment a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It's ok, nice warm sound, but I'd prefer a 2x12 (just 1x12 in this combo). The Hot Rod is also a bit too loud (never up to 3/10). The reverb is ok, no more.
I'm looking for another solution, with tubes but way to play at home and for little gigs.

Ok to share with someone who'd like to know more about the Hot Rod.

Offline EvanBingham

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
Just got my Roland KC-220 delivered today.  For the record, this amplifier is just for personal use and I don't plan on taking it out anywhere, but it's nice to have one that's portable in case I do need to take it out at some point.  30 watts isn't the loudest out there, but it definitely fills up our living room with sound.  The amp itself has chorus and reverb, so that saves me money not having to get that.  I do have the sound running through a stereo pulsar, but the speakers are so close together that it's difficult to discern left and right on the trem.  It's currently 380 on Sweetwater but I don't think they're releasing it to the public until early January.  Anyways if you're just playing at home for fun, I recommend this amp!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KC220?gclid=CjwKCAiAsejRBRB3EiwAZft7sMqpS9xy4mPH9SdB7e0LkJW-xcFCSP0epaoSf6ux77C5mpJ61yZfsxoCP_gQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:15:53 PM by EvanBingham »

Offline Julkey73

• Pre-Piano
  • Cheers ears :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2018, 04:13:27 AM »
My Mk II lives through a Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified, and for gigs add a Roland Cube with a X-over J40R horn added from Henry's.
Boost and Trem' 'Moo' pedals are handy supports.
Rhodes companions over 40 years: 2 x Mk I S73's, 1 x 54
and for 7 years, a Mk II '73 plastikey.