What kind of amp do you use with your Rhodes?

Started by james, September 12, 2006, 01:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of amp do you use with your Rhodes?

Suitcase
18 (17.8%)
Super Satellite
2 (2%)
Janus I
4 (4%)
Fender Twin
14 (13.9%)
Roland JC-120
9 (8.9%)
Other
51 (50.5%)
I Don't
3 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: September 12, 2006, 01:14:07 AM

james

Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

james

I use the guitar input on my DR-880 drum machine as a preamp + multi f/x, then run the output to whatever works for the gig (either the aux inputs on the Motion Sound KBR-M that I use with the VK-8, or direct to the soundboard).  There's a preset amp model patch called "Cool Crunch" that just sounds wicked!
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Mark II

I use a Behringer Vamp 2 (guitar) for headphone exercise. I altered the twin reverb amp model a bit to my needs. Awesome sound.

Since a couple of weeks a own a fender champ 12. 18W all tube, reverb and low end frequency response lacks a bit but I dont care as I got it for a fair price. nice sound, i prefer it the crunchy way. the second channel is almost impossible to apply as the volume and gain pot are more like switches ;-)
a tiny bit of move makes a big change in the sound so I need a very calm hand to set it up to my needs. not he best soluton, I nab myself thinking about selling it especially as I am looking for a decent stereo tremolo and 2 amps/PA.

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

HammondToby

I voted for the Twin, but there is no option for two Twins ;-) Beeing honest: the second one belongs to a guitar player who uses it not too often and I can have it, if he doesn't need it.

And well, no option for the JC-160... but I've got one...
1981 MK II Stage 73 > MXR Phase 100 > Boss CE-1 >  Twin Reverb (livesetup)
1980 MK II Stage 73 > Reussenzehn Max Röhrig > Dunlop TS-1 > Boss DD6 > Roland Jazz Chorus 160 (homeuse)
http://www.myspace.com/hammondtobymusic
http://www.soulyla.de/

Spookyman

Edit :

Yes, it changed...Now I'm playing my Fender Rhodes mk I on a Fender Twin Reverb Silverface.

And some other effects like Phaser, Wah, etc...
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 1973

Swatkins

I've got my Mark V going into a Musicman HD-150 (w/ built in phaser!) and a 4x12 cab.

My Mark II stage is going into a 1964 Fender Super Reverb.

Sweet!  :wink:

andi85

Fender HotRod Deluxe. No Twin, but it sounds nice and will be enough for most occasions.
Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!

learjeff

I clicked "I don't" meaning I usually run it direct.  But it sounds great through my Fender Blues Deluxe.  (More so than my guitar, actually ...)

JJ

I use an Alesis Sumo 300 system for my rhodes. It has suberb sound quality with dual speakers allowing for excellent highs and solid bass.

Also the rotary effect kinda resembles the tremolo and it has enough power to reinforce a band including my rhodes.

Still I'd like to get myself a Fender twin reverb just to be authentic.

Uptownruler

Mostly depends on the gig, but...I used to use a suitcase exclusively until I started having problems with it.  Now I have a Fender Hot Deluxe (112) that I use at times, and others a Fender Hot Rod Deville (410).  I'm certainly satisfied with both, but sometimes desire a wee bit different sound.
You can't hold no groove, if you ain't got no pocket.

81' Rhodes 73 stage piano > Morley Bad Horsie 2 > Small Stone Phase 90 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

tdintbl

Usually my guitar amp, a Crate FXT-120. Someday I'll get a Twin Reverb but that's a buttload of money years in the future.

Soundclick: Because I must join the herd!

toddague

I either use a BBE Acoustimax (for smaller gigs w/ a mono signal), or one or two Speakeasy Vintage preamps: the Suitcase Vibrato pedal for basic/tremolo preamping into two amps, or the Suitcase Vibrato going into a Speakeasy two-channel tube preamp for bigger gigs.  It's also possible to just use the Speakeasy Suitcase Vibrato pedal with the vibrato turned to off so it can run mono...
Rhodes 1976 and 1978 Mark 1 Stage 73s, Speakeasy Vintage and BBE Preamps, Bose LP1 and MotionSound amps

rocksnob

I use a Fender HotRod Deluxe, sound pretty nice I think.

hadoq

I was using whatever amps before, but last week I got a vox valvetronix 30W thingy wich is not bad at all (guitar amp) I'll get a twin reverb when I'll be rich enough ^^
Mark I EightyEight - what year ? My piano found me

Pale

I used a small Carvin tube amp ( only 15W !!! ), and the sound was gorgeous! I played my RHodes through a twin reverb a month ago, and I can say that it sounded better through the Carvin ( maybe it was a bad Twin, I don't know...). The only drawback was that it's a 15W amp, pretty loud, but just a bit underpowered for my needs.
'80. Stage 73 Mk II

SWANG

Lately, I have been playing my Mark I through a Peavey Classic Chorus 212.  75 watts.  Beautiful sound.  In fact, I never much liked the amp before I put my Rhodes through it.  But man, what a sound.
1972 Mark I Stage 73 with Vintage Vibe "Stage Vibe" custom preamp

Ok, bye!!!

blakebratton

I'm currently using a '63 Fender Vibroverb with my '78(I think) Mark I Stage 73. It sounds great through that, plus I've got good vibrato built in.

Musicman

I run my 1977 mk1 73 through a 1971 ampeg V2 head with a matching 1971 ampeg 2x15 cab.

OH MY GOD its beautiful ...........

:P

matt.musicman

Right now I'm running my stage through an original Ampeg VT-22. It sounds great. There are many adjustments to the tone you can play with. It can be VERY heavy on the mids though.
Matt

Musicman

yes its interesting how heavy in the mids those amps can be. I think this may be because in general guitar players used these amps and so the tubes are biased for this. I would love to have a professioanl rhodes guy rebias my tubes specifically for a rhodes and see the difference. What cab do you have? Have you found any effects pedals that work wonders with the ampeg?

Cheers

matt.musicman

There she is. I think the picture is kind of fuzzy though.  

I have yet to try any effects, I usually just run straight into the amp.  Do you have any that you recommend??

I have used a Crybaby 95Q Wah-Wah pedal. I didn't think that the pedal picks up and plays with the tone frequencies to my liking, but I'm still experimenting with it.  Plus I do not like the "no switch" feature because it adds a delay to the signal when I depress the pedal. If there was no delay I would like it a lot more, but I think I might return it because of this.
Matt

Stevil

i been running a line out thru a pod2.0. recently switched to a caesound output so i can use the onboard pre. mix goes to a pair of jbl eon's.
Mark II 88 Suitcase

kuehne

I'm currently using the JC-120. It sounds nice, but I've never played it on a Twin, so I can't say that the JC-120 is the amp of my dreams.
1977 Mark I Stage 73

4kinga

I run my rhodes MK II through a early '80's Fender Concert.  The original speaker was replaced with a jbl 12s.  It sounds good, but I have to turn the lows all the way down, boost the mids and run the highs about mid-way.

picassoface

I've been running my '79 Stage 88 through a Dynacomp, Seymour Duncan pickup booster, Small Stone Nano phaser, Danelectro tremolo and Boss EH-2 enhancer into a small Mackie board.  One side of the stereo out feeds a JBL Eon 15 on stage and the other gets DI'd to the house.  Sometimes I feed the house through a SansAmp Bass DI, sometimes a tube pre.  I'm still looking for the right thing.  Next thing I want to try is the Boss FDR-1, a stompbox that emulates a '65 Deluxe Reverb.

I like a big, clean sound on stage, though, as opposed to a tube amp.  Monitoring-wise, it's easier to find myself onstage amongst all the overdriven guitar if the Rhodes is clean.  I'm the singer too, so I buss my vocal through the Eon onstage too.  Headroom for days.

Out front they can grime it up all they want- they have my blessing.

Ivories

I've been using a Roland Cube 60. For me, it is just right.

With the amp shaping ability, I can pull various sounds from the one amp and it has some serious kick!

The effects are great, it is a pity that you can't change certain parameters i.e. depth, feedback etc. only the rate.

Kel
I DO NOT have two heads!!!

joseph

i used to use a jc120, but didn't like it, now i'm going pretty much straight into the pa. i kinda fatten the rhodes up per insert with ensoniq dp4 though.

SWANG

last weekend, i did an outdoor gig.  put my stage through a 100 watt vht pitbull.  here was my reaction:

:o  :)  :D  :mrgreen:  8)  :D
1972 Mark I Stage 73 with Vintage Vibe "Stage Vibe" custom preamp

Ok, bye!!!

Martin Borgh

Right now I use a Fender FM212 wich actually sounds very nice! Before that I had a JC120 but didnt like it som much. The Fender FM212 is clean like the JC120 but do have that litte extra sound of a Fender amp.

If i dont want to carry a amp I just use i VOX Tonelab, works damn nice!
1974 Fender Rhodes 88, Wurlitzer 200, Clavinet D6, Crumar Organizer, Hammond L122, Leslie 760, Music Man HD100, Fender Twin Reverb, MOOG LP, Nord Electro 3, EHX Effects

peteblues

I'm running my Rhodes directly into my Mackie mixer, and from there into the PA The sound is actually really nice, the Mackie preamps give it the extra juice I want.

kineticturtle

I'm huge on the low end of my rhodes, but I also want to be able to get the sparkle of the high end, but still get the old-school Fender tube tone...

A bandmate of mine was trying to quickly sell an amp just like that, a Fender Bassman 50! So, now it and my Mark II are a pair. Aren't they so pretty together?

Btw, the fx in this photo are not some kind of permanent setup, those were for a specific recording session I was preparing for at the time.

I personally find that the interaction between instrument and amplifier is simply too important to allow myself to run direct or use some kind of simulated amp.

andi85

Tah! Nice. I like your green harp cover, too.
I love the amp/instrument interaction, too, but I think running direct can also produce nice sounds.

martin

i use a kc 350. good clean sound, but not the best. its great for my nord stage though, but after borrowing a silverface twin i havent been satisfied with my rhodes ever since. twins are the best ive used!!
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

Jordy

Quote from: "kineticturtle"I'm huge on the low end of my rhodes, but I also want to be able to get the sparkle of the high end, but still get the old-school Fender tube tone...

A bandmate of mine was trying to quickly sell an amp just like that, a Fender Bassman 50! So, now it and my Mark II are a pair. Aren't they so pretty together?

Btw, the fx in this photo are not some kind of permanent setup, those were for a specific recording session I was preparing for at the time.

I personally find that the interaction between instrument and amplifier is simply too important to allow myself to run direct or use some kind of simulated amp.

NICE! melodica!
'71 Stage 73  >>  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Jordy

Quote from: "joseph"i used to use a jc120, but didn't like it, now i'm going pretty much straight into the pa. i kinda fatten the rhodes up per insert with ensoniq dp4 though.

What did you not like about it?

suitcasepiano

Quote from: "james"A very hot topic, I know....
Sometimes I use my '79 Mk I Stage 73 with only one Janus I and a silverface Twin Reverb to get an extra growl from the tubes.
I like to use the Piano Bass with a quite uncommon setup consisting of a Fender XFL 1000 Power Speaker (4x12, solid state) and a Peavey Channel Strip with spring reverb as a preamp. This also is my favorite setup for my Wurlitzer 200. Big and fat sound and still some crunch, if you want it. Very cool sound ! Bless every vintage piano fan on the planet ! Greetings from Germany !
1974 FenderRhodes Suitcase Mk I 88
1979 Rhodes Stage Mk I 73 w/ preamp and 2 Janus I
1973 FenderRhodes PianoBass

garagebandking41

I used to use this new Princeton Amp DSP Chorus. Bright and bassy tone, could hear the highs real well, and it's a stereo amp w/ stereo effect loops and everything, had an okay chorus effect. But now I've plugged into my old Bassman 100 with what I think is the Bassman 50 cab. Two 12"s and 4 6L6's in there make it sound a lot warmer, but I've lost those highs. Those transition tip hardness areas sound smoother though. I can also plug in other crazy instruments at jam sessions with the two different channels and four inputs all together.

I have the same setup as kineticturtle - position wise, and now that i've looked at that cab, mine is the same. My left ear is punished. 1974 Mark I instead of course.
Noisy Wurltizer 200a
Buggy Moog LP Tribute
Heavy Rhodes Mark V

kineticturtle

Quote from: "garagebandking41"Two 12"s...I have the same setup as kineticturtle - position wise, and now that i've looked at that cab, mine is the same.

My cab has 2 15"s.  :)

garagebandking41

Quote from: "kineticturtle"
Quote from: "garagebandking41"Two 12"s...I have the same setup as kineticturtle - position wise, and now that i've looked at that cab, mine is the same.

My cab has 2 15"s.  :)

You're right! I just looked at my papers and they are 15"s Eminence. They give you the readouts on the cones and everything, never bothered to look at those details until now. And by details I mean the fact that I can't discern between 12 and 15 inches. The princeton I have has 12's in it...I feel a little bit better now.
Noisy Wurltizer 200a
Buggy Moog LP Tribute
Heavy Rhodes Mark V

mirko

suitcasepiano

Quote from: "mirko"Janus system rocks :)
Absolutely !
1974 FenderRhodes Suitcase Mk I 88
1979 Rhodes Stage Mk I 73 w/ preamp and 2 Janus I
1973 FenderRhodes PianoBass

andi85

For going straight to the house, I recently ran across a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman MkI. For my ears just right.

Samm Bee

Hi :)

I've owned in the past years a The Twin Red knob and a Jazz chorus 77 amps but none of them satisfied me.
The first one, whilst in very good condition, was hard too play at apartement level, with a lot of breath...Only at ease when volume pushed very high...Great sound, but very coloredl. But let's say too powerfull for my needs....and what a f.... heavy amp!!!. The second was also very noisy.; i loved the chorus, but i didn't used it....And it lacked of low end response.
I've finally obtained great results with my Markbass STD 210HF and LM250 head, with an small electronic preamp hand made in France, plugged between the cinch of the harp and the volume buttons. Called "Crystal preamp", it increases the output level of 12db , boosts the high mids to obtain a more balanced sound on the overall spectrum, without any breath.) . The whole provides a neutral sound , such as a PA system, real bass response, and a REALLY clean , detailled and WARM sound., very powerfull and punchy, never obtained on my Twin. It works as a return speaker or a stand alone amp for smaller venues, and can also be  played quietly at home ;) The cabinet weights 23 kgs and the head only 2,5kgs ! Brian Auger will use one these cabs for his next concerts ...

Jordy

Quote from: "Samm Bee"Hi :)

I've owned in the past years a The Twin Red knob and a Jazz chorus 77 amps but none of them satisfied me.
The first one, whilst in very good condition, was hard too play at apartement level, with a lot of breath...Only at ease when volume pushed very high...Great sound, but very coloredl. But let's say too powerfull for my needs....and what a f.... heavy amp!!!. The second was also very noisy.; i loved the chorus, but i didn't used it....And it lacked of low end response.
I've finally obtained great results with my Markbass STD 210HF and LM250 head, with an small electronic preamp hand made in France, plugged between the cinch of the harp and the volume buttons. Called "Crystal preamp", it increases the output level of 12db , boosts the high mids to obtain a more balanced sound on the overall spectrum, without any breath.) . The whole provides a neutral sound , such as a PA system, real bass response, and a REALLY clean , detailled and WARM sound., very powerfull and punchy, never obtained on my Twin. It works as a return speaker or a stand alone amp for smaller venues, and can also be  played quietly at home ;) The cabinet weights 23 kgs and the head only 2,5kgs ! Brian Auger will use one these cabs for his next concerts ...

a 77 has 8½" speakers, ofcourse the bass is crap

Samm Bee

Quotea 77 has 8½" speakers, ofcourse the bass is crap
No, 10"  :wink: [/code]

Jordy

Quote from: "Samm Bee"
Quotea 77 has 8½" speakers, ofcourse the bass is crap
No, 10"  :wink: [/code]

:oops:

jeff da rhode

martin

i just got a traynor YGL-3 Mk3, and i've been running it through my housmates ampeg bass amp. it sounds like a twin, but with a bit more crunch.
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

Clavier

I recently discovered that the Fender Princeton Chorus is one of my favorite amps to use with a Rhodes. Kind of like a JC-120. Cheap, great sound!  :D
Keys: Rhodes Mk1 Suitcase, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Hammond RT-2

Amplification: Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

The Real MC

No amp.  Just a Tubeworks Blue Tube rackmount preamp then straight to PA/recording.

The blue tube does a stellar job of transforming a thick muddy Rhodes into a dynamic instrument whose timbre varies from soft bell to hard full depending on how hard I play it.  The blue tube is designed for bass and has mild overdrive, but you can also dial the contour and bias of the tube and this has a big effect on shaping the tone of the Rhodes.

Works a hell of a lot better than EQ or any processing.