Author Topic: Suitable amps  (Read 14548 times)

mmy

Suitable amps
« on: March 25, 2004, 04:51:32 AM »
Looking for a good applifier for Rhodes Stage MarkII 73. I know Fender twin reverb and Roland JC120 are the best ones but how about Fender KXR 100 (70W, solid state, keyboard amp, extended range). Would it work though the low input impedance 36k concerns me. Any experience ? or what about Line6 Flextone III or any other, maybe bit lighter than Twin Rewerb.

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
Suitable amps
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 06:10:23 PM »
I've actually heard a lot of complaints from players who have tried using the JC-120 with their Rhodes, so I wouldn't really call it the "best" choice (we'll be removing all references to it when the Super Site Mark II launches).  What I would look for is any guitar or bass amp with one or more 12" speakers and at least a 3-band EQ.  Tube or solid-state is up to you, depending on what kind of tone you're looking for (the Suitcase amp was solid-state, while the Stage pianos were typically played through tube amps like the Twin Reverb).  I was getting a surprisingly warm and punchy tone from this little Peavey bass amp a few years back, between the 12" speaker and the sweepable midrange EQ.

If you want to go with a keyboard amp (which makes sense if you've got more than one keyboard in your rig), then you'll also want to get a guitar amp modeler like the Line6 POD.  That will give you the preamp necessary to get to piano's output up to line level, plus it will provide standard Rhodes effects (overdrive, chorus, phase shifter, etc.) and models of amps like the Fender Twin.
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Anonymous

Amps & Effects
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 09:57:47 PM »
I'm running a '78 Mark II Stage piano through a Bass V-Amp; for the price I paid it works fine; effects are ok to good. Only gripe is the (obvious ) low line level from the piano to try and mix it with the other gear (synths). I guess a Stage Box from Speakeasy will do the trick?

A question: Kool & the Gang's 'Get down on it' - in the opening bars a Rhodes plays a single note "bass" line with a gritty, funky sound; how can this be acheived? Overdrive?

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
Suitable amps
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 02:55:23 PM »
The bass notes on a Rhodes have a natural "growl" to them when you play with a little force.  That's probably what you're hearing.

ericweber

Suitable amps
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 10:46:55 PM »
"Growl" yes but not to that extent -  despite hammer changes (old ones were grooved), tonebar setting & bass boost level; coils (seem to) work fine. Probably the amp after all.....

Actually, the "growl" (on the whole 73 key range) is a standard feature setting on any rompler Rhodes-sound triggered by key velocity - I'm just trying to figure out how to achieve that sound on "the real thing".

Thanks for your input.

johno

bass amp
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 09:29:25 AM »
Anybody ever use a tube bass amp with a 15 inch speaker with their Rhodes? Would I lose too much on the high end?

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
Suitable amps
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 01:31:42 PM »
At one point I was running a Stage 73 through the JBL PA that I use for a keyboard amp, and it had way too much low end with the 15" woofer.  I was hoping to get a good tone from it using a Bellari tube preamp and the PA's 4-band EQ, but it never really sounded right.  Ironically, the best sounding bass amp I've ever used with a Rhodes was a Peavey Minx that I got for $50, i.e. a tiny solid-state practice amp....

johno

bass amp
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 01:58:08 PM »
Thanks. I was thinking about an Ampeg B15 tube amp. I am using a JC 90 at the moment and it's OK but looking for something better. It's only for home and jamming w/friends so I don't need much volume.  I can't quite justify a Fender Twin for my living room.

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
Suitable amps
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 01:09:40 PM »
The Twin is definitely expensive for casual use, and I haven't found many Rhodes players who are satisfied with the JC-series amps.  A 12" bass practice amp should give you a decent tone for a decent price.  On the other hand, Fender apparently thought the Twin was a good idea for your living room:

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/cgi-bin/gallery-display?id=4

Offline Jenzz

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tasteundtechnik.de
Suitable amps
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 02:35:50 AM »
Hi :-)
These are the amps i had during the years which i can highly recommend:

Fender Twin Reverb (...of cause....)

Fender Pro Reverb (last version)
This one is the same chassis as the Twin Reverb but only half the power (2x 6L6 instead of 4)

Fender Blues DeLuxe
Nice little 40W all-tube amp with reverb and drive, 1x 12" speaker

Fender Vibrosonic Reverb
Same chassis as TwinReverb but wih 1x15" JBL DF130 speaker

Peavey DEUCE
Transistor preamp, tube power-amp 'Hybrid', has nice built-in phaser very similar to the EH SmallStone, 2x 12"

JazzChorus 160
Same chassis as JC120, but sounding very different (more fat / low end) due to 4x10" speakers instead of 2x 12"

Maybe this can be of some help for anyone...

regards, Jens
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, EHX SmallStone, Tone City Sweet Cream, Pearl FG-01

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

4amour

amp for suitcase model
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 10:57:27 AM »
Hello, can anyone offer some advice?  I have the rhodes mk1 suitcase.  I do not have the bottom amp/speaker combo but was wondering would I be able to substitute this for my ampeg vl502 tube guitar (not bass) amp and speaker.  I am hoping that this would be compatable if anyone has a suggestion or knows different let me know at kparamor@temple.edu.  Thanks[/b]

Suitable amps
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 11:39:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me the worth of the Super Satellite speakers?

Thanks