News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Acoustic 164/165

Started by Pale, September 25, 2006, 03:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pale

Has anyone tried how Rhodes sounds through one of these amps ( either Acoustic 164 or 165 )? I am in position to buy Acoustic 165 amp for 400€, and I'm wondering is it a good bargain. I've read some good reviews on harmony central, and it seems like a excellent tube amp. I would like a second oppinion before I go to try it ( I don't want to lug my Rhodes for nothing ).

Amp has one 12'' speaker and 100W of tube power. Reverb, equliser, accessory input and output, and a nice full wood enclosure. I should be getting fresh tubes included in price.
'80. Stage 73 Mk II

uncle silas

Quote from: "Pale"Has anyone tried how Rhodes sounds through one of these amps ( either Acoustic 164 or 165 )? I am in position to buy Acoustic 165 amp for 400€, and I'm wondering is it a good bargain. I've read some good reviews on harmony central, and it seems like a excellent tube amp. I would like a second oppinion before I go to try it ( I don't want to lug my Rhodes for nothing ).

Amp has one 12'' speaker and 100W of tube power. Reverb, equliser, accessory input and output, and a nice full wood enclosure. I should be getting fresh tubes included in price.

My friend just picked one up and it sounds great with any guitar.  Not a lot of distorted breakup, a healthy overdrive, I'd say. But the clean tone is damn near perfect.  I imagine it would be pretty good as a rhodes amp.  If you play guitar it's likely an amazing choice.  Zappa played through one for a while.  He paid about $450 + a 5 hour drive each way.

Those amps are extremely well built and vercitile.  I'd get one.  In fact, I regret not buying the one he found!

My friend also recently had the good fortune of finding an Acoustic 164 (bass combo) for $200.  it has that awesome dead thump of the 70s and takes well to any kind of sound input.

Both are great amps.

fillspiller

i'm an acoustic fan.  i have a 370 head that i run through an ampeg 8x10 or 4x10 depending on the band and venue, but i use that for bass.  i've actually been considering getting a second head though just for a rhodes.  i haven't tried it, but i think they'd be perfect together.
1979 rhodes 73 key (wooden keys) stage piano - but i'm really a bass player.

Pale

Quote from: "fillspiller"i'm an acoustic fan.  i have a 370 head that i run through an ampeg 8x10 or 4x10 depending on the band and venue, but i use that for bass.  i've actually been considering getting a second head though just for a rhodes.  i haven't tried it, but i think they'd be perfect together.

It would be great if one Acoustic owner could try Rhodes on it and give some feedback. Based on my current knowledge about this amp I'll be trying it soon with intention to buy. As soon as I get some info I'll post here.
Thanx for the information you two :)
'80. Stage 73 Mk II

fillspiller

i posted a similar query on the acoustic message board and got a response, which i will paste here...

"I run my Rhodes through both a 134 and a 155 over the last few decades. The amp heads are identical, being 125 watts, but the speakers were different. The 134 has 4x10s, and the 155 is a 150 head with a 4x12 cabinet. Each provides a different sound for my keys. The 12's seem to work a lot better with my synths and patches. But, my amp of choice for the last 10 years has been the 134. It does it all, and moves a lot of air.

I also have a Wurlitzer electric piano. Each has it's own sound, and since keys have been my primary for 40 years, I tend to get what works right with either piano, organ, and my synths.

I also play guitar, but it is limited usually to a half dozen songs a night. Naturally, the guitar comes out of any of my Acoustic amps sounding great. Lately, I've been using an Acoustic G20-110 on stage and micing it. That sucker really cranks......

You won't have any problems with the keyboard. You will most likely want to zero out the EQ controls. But, Acoustic has been known for decades for absolute amplification of whatever is put into it without coloration (unless you dial it in!). Whatever you put in will come out clean and LOUD.

Have fun-and realize you will be able to blow the doors off a lot of your bandmates......

Steve Scott"

you can follow the thread at...

http://p083.ezboard.com/funofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboardfrm1.showMessage?topicID=839.topic
1979 rhodes 73 key (wooden keys) stage piano - but i'm really a bass player.