Author Topic: Help - No Sound!  (Read 4485 times)

Offline 21stcenturydigitaljeff

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Help - No Sound!
« on: December 22, 2006, 02:36:37 AM »
This Just started happening, it would take a while to 'warm up' before id give sound then it just stopped making sound all together

the power light on the preamp doesn't turn on but the vibrato light does

any guesses?

thanks!

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
Help - No Sound!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 11:45:55 AM »
sounds like a connection problem.  If your suitcase powers up and your vibrato light works that means the preamp is getting juice to make it pulsate.  try wiggling your cable around at the preamp, and at the bottom, by moving the head and the cable itself too.  Right where it connects to the head in fact.  Sometimes the cables go bad.  If not that then possibly internal loose connection.  Probably the poweramp suitcase bottom.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Help - No Sound!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 05:06:15 PM »
Yeah I actually tried a new cable and it didn't fix things, but wiggling things does seem to give some sound ... is this something I can fix myself by taking apart the suitcase or should I take it to someone?

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
Help - No Sound!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 06:06:49 PM »
we cant tell.

it all depends on your technical skills.
when u know how to swing a soldering iron and stuff like that it would help u to solve the problem.
opening both section (preamp and main amp) and looking for bad solder joint/ cable connections should be on your list.
thus, trying to narrow the fault down to the right section (cable, preamp,main amp) would be also nice. then u know where to focus.

check the service section of this site:
main amp failures

sorry if this might sound harsh, but if you dont understand a word better bring it to a service technician.
good luck

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Help - No Sound!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 04:04:52 AM »
Hey thanks man thats a good link.

I have a 79 suitcase which i believe is the 100w version.  So hopefully its just a loose female connector I can re solder (i have soldered before on speakers in a guitar cabinet) .  I assume the female connector on the suitcase could have the same problem as the one on the preamp.

Alright i'm gonna try to take these apart wish me luck!

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
Help - No Sound!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 06:18:02 AM »
Quote from: "Mark II"

good luck

Mark II

I allready did.
so, once again: good luck.

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Help - No Sound!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 07:58:12 PM »
So I checked the connections to the input on the preamp and it looks fine, the output on the power amp the wires connecting to it were loose but would not come off when I pulled on them so I figured they were alright, is this true or should I re-solder them?

The guide also says to check the PCB and the 4558 IC's but I don't know what these are any help?

Maybe I should just take this to a tech, can anyone recommend one in Orange County, does Major Key do repairs or are they just parts?  I notice they only have a fax number.

Thanks