News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Let's as a collective invent the next generation of keyboard

Started by Nevets306, January 23, 2007, 02:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevets306

Alright this post is for all of those who have ideas and want to put them into creating a new type of keyboard. It can be very similar to a rhodes, clavinet, moog or it can be the most opposite form those. So post some ideas on what you have about keyboards and enough of the people on this sight are good with electronics and building stuff maybe with some other help we can create the next wave of keyboards. And lets not be jerks and go stealing other peoples ideas, this is a team effort.

My idea is to use gutt strings like on a cello or a violla in the mechanism of the clavinet but a different striking method to the key so that instead of a punchy sound it gives it a more warm rhodes sound but not tiney and more fuzzy and warm sorta like a warm guitar sound.

Let's hear what you think about that and your own ideas, pictures, diagrams, tangents, ect...
Rhodes Mark II Suitcase, Hammond A100 w/t Leslie 122, MXR Distortion +, Danelectro BLT Slap Echo
www.myspace.com/funkanima
www.stevebrickman.com

thermionicjunky

Your idea for a stringed instrument is similar to what I've thought about. The description of the sounds you imagine remind me of the early piano music of Henry Cowell. His invented technique involved muting, plucking , scraping and rubbing the strings , producing consonant and dissonant overtones by stopping that at the proper nodes , and strumming the harp with chords fingered on the keyboard. Look for his album Piano Music [ particularly the track Aeolian Harp and Sinister Resonance].The muting technique produced an extremely warm pleasing sound quality. I've always wanted to hear this with built in amplification. If this could be built in a considerably smaller package than a grand piano and provided a mechanical means of manipulation , or merely access to the harp for manual manipulation , I would jump all over it.

Nevets306

Well then maybe it's time we put this idea into action. The thing this industry needs isn't additional mark V's packaged to look new and a different name, it needs a new keyboard like the rhodes. You and I should combine our ideas and really think about making this happen for real and not just talk. Maybe we need to email so no one else can read our inventive ideas but i like the way you think. Send me an email my email is Nevets306@mac.com and we'l'll let the rest of you rhodester's know when this new keyboard will be out.
Rhodes Mark II Suitcase, Hammond A100 w/t Leslie 122, MXR Distortion +, Danelectro BLT Slap Echo
www.myspace.com/funkanima
www.stevebrickman.com