News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Vintage Vibe "Stage Vibe" soon to be released

Started by Chris Carroll, February 07, 2007, 09:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Carroll

Hey Everyone, we have all parts in for our new "Stage Vibe" except for the name plates which we are waiting on now.  It should be ready in about two weeks.  If you are planning an upgrade to your rhodes and our Quadrapuss is a little over your budget. Than our Stage Vibe will be just the ticket. It has the sweetest Tube-ish sounding mono Tremolo around as well as plus 24 DB pre amp and active EQ, Incredibly musical ,rich and full of  that VINTAGE VIBE you look for !!

It should be around 350.00  it will come on it own rail you just drop in powered by 3  9 volts or  AC power supply included.  If anyone has any interest or question feel free to call us or email us. 973-989-2178   www.vintagevibe.com
Vintage Vibe will do all we can to help anyone out in a fair and honest way. Call us up or email anytime.  "Love is the answer"

Spookyman

Yes !  :D

And i think that i can say that there are allready 2 happy users in the world that are playing with this "Stage Vibe" : SWANG, and myself.

My first impression : WOW  :shock:

I will put some better pics than the first i took in a few days.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 1973

SWANG

This is indeed the sh*t!  My stage is sounding great these days thanks to VV's "Stage Vibe".  I'm so excited I get to play it on a gig tonight.  Glad to see you're enjoying yours as well, Spookyman.  :)

Thanks again, Chris... 8)
1972 Mark I Stage 73 with Vintage Vibe "Stage Vibe" custom preamp

Ok, bye!!!

keysandslots

I have to admit, I have no interest in any of the Vintage Vibe stuff, it is just too expensive for me to justify.   Some of these preamps cost more than what you can buy the actual piano for now-a-days.

Randy
Some of my stuff can be checked out at tune and tune and CD and even tune

Chris Carroll

I honestly do not know what to say to this kind of thinking or post. Anybody ?
Vintage Vibe will do all we can to help anyone out in a fair and honest way. Call us up or email anytime.  "Love is the answer"

james

My impression has been that the market for high-end preamps has always been serious players who need serious gear.  Considering everything the Quadrapuss can do and that it's made by a small business in the US, $550 seems like a pretty damn good deal to me!
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Dan Belcher

I would absolutely love to have a nice Vintage Vibe preamp on my piano.  However, $300-$600 is a lot of money to plunk down IMHO on that.  If I had enough cash sitting around, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.  However, that's literally twice as much as I paid for my piano itself to put it into perspective.
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73

SWANG

Put it like this:

With the amount of gig money I've made since I've been using this preamp, it's already more than paid for itself.

You decide... :|

Ok, bye!!!

Pale

Quote from: "SWANG"Put it like this:

With the amount of gig money I've made since I've been using this preamp, it's already more than paid for itself.

Theoretically, you could've gigged without it.

( not that I have anything against using preamps, I'm all for it  )
'80. Stage 73 Mk II

keysandslots

Ah ha, SWANG, you've hit the nail on the head.  It's been so long since I've gigged professionally, I had forgotten that part.  I still can't imagine what it is that makes these things so expensive but if you're gigging professionally, any equipment can be written off, which is a very different way of looking at things than what a "hobbyist" musician such as myself would look at.

Quadrapuss, don't be too put off by my question, it's not a criticism, just an observation.  I'm assuming your products are selling well and you're confident in their quality, so for many of the players out there, a purchase is easily justifiable.  

Also please do not be too critical of "this kind of thinking".  While I may not have quite the amount of experience you have with the Rhodes, I've been playing for over 40 years and have done enough work on Rhodes' and other keyboards to know what works and what does not.  If there is a problem with "this kind of  ... post", feel free to PM me.

Randy

Spookyman

When we are talking 'bout prices...look at other brands that are selling preamps...Vintage Key, or the new TR Amp from Jens, they are all quite expensive, or in the same league than the prices from Vintage Vibe. Thats the price to pay if you want a boutique preamp, handbuilt in Europe or America.

Of course, you can buy some chinese preamp for less, but they are not specific for the Rhodes Piano. And what about the sound ? The built quality ? The customer service ?

In Switzerland, when you are looking for a Rhodes (mk 1 or mk 2 in good shape) you have to pay minimum 2000 frs (1600 $) it's allmost impossible to find a Rhodes piano for less. So what are 350 $ in comparison with that price ?

I bought other stupid things that where allmost the same price, and i regret them...like a Behringer Ultracurve (noisy as hell)...
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

nick

Though I have yet (YET!!!) to purchase a quadrapuss I just want to say that I have always been impressed by Chris' excellent work (ever since the EAR days) not to mention patience answering my novice questions over the years.  These products are pricey, but, as James pointed out, Vintage Vibe is a small company and while I'm sure they are priced to make a decent profit, development for these sorts of things for a company so small cannot cheap.  

As nerdy as we all are for Rhodes its important to keep in mind that it is a niche market.  I cant see repro Dyno preamps selling at Guitar Center any time soon, but with the release of the Mark VII who knows?

SWANG

Quote from: "Pale"
Quote from: "SWANG"Put it like this:

Theoretically, you could've gigged without it.

( not that I have anything against using preamps, I'm all for it  )

You're right, but I'm not sure I understand the point.  I bought it, and then it paid for itself.  I only brought it up as a means to justify the purchase, as a counterpoint to the previous posts regarding price.

Theoretically, I could have bought a Nord.  :lol:

Again, you decide...

Ok, bye!!!

MikePeterson

QuoteI still can't imagine what it is that makes these things so expensive

Living in today's world of cheap, mass produced Chinese electronics gives a false sense of value.

It is easy to compare a cheepo DVD player with a preamp and say, "the preamp has less stuff in it, so it should cost less"

Whet you need to remember is that mas produced consumer electronics are made in HUGE quantities, in factories with state of the art automation and cheap labor.

Products like Rhodes preamps are made in very small quantities. Every component is much more expensive for the manufacturer, because they buy in small quantities. Add to that the labor and overhead cost of a US or European small factory, and I am amazed they sell for so LITTLE.

And by the way...it's not just musical products. Small market industrial products are also expensive. And military or space related stuff is so expensive it's shocking.
I am the designer of the Mark IV, the Mark V stand, and case. I also worked with Harold and Steve on the rest of the piano. My website is loudroundrecords.com

Chris Carroll

Hi,
first of all I want to personally thank everyone who understands the point I was trying to make from certain remarks about price on our product. The people in the know are such a genuine hapiness for me. They along with my imagination towards building products are the reason Vintage Vibe continues to make products. In the end  we hope to achieve reliable instruments that players can enjoy for years to come. Something that puts a smile on their face when they show their friends.
A few of you really were poignant ,honest and open as well as really having a grasp on the reality of small manufacturing in the USA.  Mike was right when he said Quote  " I can't believe they are selling them so cheap"

This is how I feel,  If people had any idea of the amount of debt, time, material and labor cost, R&D  that will never be recouped on small runs of production. The headaches and heartaches, the trial and error time that go into making something you believe in for the betterment of an instrument just to hear someone say it cost too much, they must be making a killing or their profit is so high......
Just to hear that is the lowest point for anyone who really  cares or tries to do somthing positive. it's hurtful and uninformed.

Our cost on the Quadrapuss is around 385.00 per  unit and we are charging 550.00 per unit. Does that sound like good business to you ?

What we are offering, what we have been thru, you would think people would be lining up around the corner for these, we made these for you !

Not to get rich but to create a buzz ,something everyone can be proud to own, Hand made, guaranteed ,meticulously designed with quality parts and at an incredibly reasonable fair price.

Without the support of the community ,one day we are all going to wake up and there will be no Vintage Vibe, no Speakeasy, no Major Key, all because we did not support them.  Luckily  for us there are more supporters with positive vibes than the small minority who cannot think out of the box long enough to realize  good things are usually fleeting.

Once again, I humbly thank everyone who supports us in this venture. If ever there is anything we can do just ask!.

PS. On a positive note we are getting some incredible feedback on the QuadraPuss by their new owners

Not just in commerce but in the world of ideas too our age is putting on a veritable clearance sale. Everything can be had so dirt cheap that one begins to wonder whether in the end anyone will want to make a bid.
Soren Kierkegaard

picassoface

That was beautiful.  Beautifully put.  And then to cap it off with a Kierkegaard quote.  You know, I was never a big Buy American guy but in recent years I've really come around as all the Chinese manufactured stuff has been gaining a foothold in our music gear marketplace.  I can't imagine how hard it must be for a smaller American manufacturer.

I strongly suspect, although I don't own any of it yet (but definitely will), that the vintage vibe preamp line is the utter bomb.

One of the biggest reasons I started playing a Rhodes in the first place was that I couldn't see much that could happen to it on the road that I couldn't fix on the spot with a good selection of spare stuff and a tool or two.  If my Kawai or whatever decided not to light up on any given night in Maine or New York I'd be toast.

The point of this is that I imagine if you bought a vintage vibe pre you'd be buying some real customer support with it, too.  And you'd be getting a box that was solid and gave you a good, safe feeling on the road.  For me, coupled with the fact that you're helping a small American business by buying value for dollar, that's what it's all about.

And I'm totally not on the payroll.

taco

I d love to have a Stage Vibe too...
It might be expensive, yes....like any other high end gear!
Nobody would buy it if it costs 50 bucks only....

Spooky or SWANG do have any mp3 s of the new sound yet???
Have to admit that you made me somewhat curious...
MK II 1980

Spookyman

Yes, but not "solo", only mixed with other instruments, and no mix where made (only rough mix) so the sound of the stage piano is not so in front. But it's enough to hear how it sound. Once dry, only with the EQ and and once with the "mono tremolo, soft setting"

So if you really want to hear something, you can PM me your e-mail adress, and then i can send you mp3 of one or two tracks with this preamp.  :wink:
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

keysandslots

Quote from: "Quadrapuss"Hi,
first of all I want to personally thank everyone who understands the point I was trying to make from certain remarks about price on our product. The people in the know are such a genuine hapiness for me.

It is indeed a rare honour to be in the presence of such knowledgeable people.  I am also indebted to you for pointing out that if I don't agree with a certain viewpoint, I'm obviously not in the know.  

My original comment had no personal attack and no criticism of the actual value of the product.  I never said "everyone who buys these is an idiot" or anything even remotely hinting at such an idea, and yet it appears anyone who questions the validity of paying this much for a preamp is obviously unenlightened.

After all this seemingly desperate price justification, I'm starting to feel this stuff really may not be worth the price.

Randy

BJT3

Randy, after reading Chris's last post, I got something totally different out of it. To me it sounded like it's genuinly a labor of love for him and that he's really into trying to preserve the legacy of the Rhodes and add to it. He didn't come off like he's just some guy trying to make a quick buck and charge as much as he can for a piece of !@#$ product. I could understand his frustration. Most people these days are so used to buying this mass produced, Made in China equipment for so cheap, that ya, we are kinda "uninformed" as to how hard it must be to design, manufacture, build, and market a hand made, quality item, and supply customer support without an astronomical price tag attached. I think people like him are rare these days. Most people don't give a !@#$ about their product, as long as it makes them money. It's all about the bottom line. I feel like were lucky to have someone like this involved and supplying parts for the Rhodes community.

-Ben-
1978 Mark I Stage Piano 88
1970 Wurlitzer 200
Hohner D6 Clavinet
1961 Hammond A100 Organ
1977 Fender Twin Reverb (Blackfaced)

keysandslots

Ben, I agree and I never said he was over-charging anyone.  I'm taking exception to some of his other comments.   Perhaps it's time I just took back my original comment and stick to piano playing?

Randy

SWANG

Chris's comments weren't addressed to anyone specifically.  He did not use anyone's name in any of his posts.  "People in the know", I assume, in this case, would refer to people who actually own and/or use the product.  If you don't, then how much could you know about it?  

Chalk it up to an ambiguous use of terms or whatever.  People who take things as much to heart as some here seem to be often find themselves being accused of having what's commonly known as a "guilty conscience".

Incidentally, does anyone else here happen to have a custom, hand-made Rhodes preamp on the market that sounds as good as this one?  I'd love to take a look/listen.

On another note: I have promised more than a few people here some MP3s of this preamp and a few of my effects.  I vow to do this before week's end.  Please forgive my neglecting to keep my word thus far.  But I'll be sure to post here when I finally get 'round to it.  Thanks!  :)

Ok, bye!!!

Spookyman

Yes...grat idea. I will try to do the same, but i will have to take some recording equipement in our Band Room, or take the Stage Piano in my Home Studio.  :lol:

I think the solution to take the computer and an audio interface is the best. Much lighter.

But it will not be next week-end.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

VintageSoul

How's the production of these coming?  I'd love to try one!
My Current Vintage Gear: Rhodes MK II Suitcase 73, Rhodes Suitcase Top (aptly named "Frankenrhodes"), Wurlitzer EP 206, Wurlitzer EP 146

Past Vintage Gear: Rhodes Suitcase 73 (Mark I), Rhodes Stage 73 (Mark I), Wurlitzer EP 200 (Green), Wurlitzer EP 200 (Black), Wurlitzer EP 200a, Wurlitzer EP 145b (Tube Model), Hohner Pianet T.

Jenzz

QuoteIncidentally, does anyone else here happen to have a custom, hand-made Rhodes preamp on the market that sounds as good as this one? I'd love to take a look/listen.

Yes, i / we have  8) ... The intend on the 'TRamp'  was to get a Stage piano to line-level with amp-like sound + stereo panning tremolo, all this in a 19" 1HE rack unit... The first 3 untis are out on the road and our customers love it....

regards, Jens
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

SWANG

cool, Jenzz....where might i have a listen?

Ok, bye!!!

Mark II

Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

kitchen

I'm starting to like it more and more....what is the price of this pre ?

Kitchen
'76 Mk I Stage 73 -> 70's Small Stone

SWANG

Ok, bye!!!

Jenzz

Link is ok...!

Price is 445 EUR (ca.570 $). I do repairs most of the time, so this is kind of a 'side-project' for me, building approx. 1 unit a month.
I had build the first prototype for my personal use, but customers at my workshop liked the sound and concept, so the project evolved to what is the TRamp now.

Jens
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

toddague

Quote from: "Quadrapuss"Hi,
first of all I want to personally thank everyone who understands the point I was trying to make from certain remarks about price on our product. The people in the know are such a genuine hapiness for me. They along with my imagination towards building products are the reason Vintage Vibe continues to make products. In the end  we hope to achieve reliable instruments that players can enjoy for years to come. Something that puts a smile on their face when they show their friends.
A few of you really were poignant ,honest and open as well as really having a grasp on the reality of small manufacturing in the USA.  Mike was right when he said Quote  " I can't believe they are selling them so cheap"

This is how I feel,  If people had any idea of the amount of debt, time, material and labor cost, R&D  that will never be recouped on small runs of production. The headaches and heartaches, the trial and error time that go into making something you believe in for the betterment of an instrument just to hear someone say it cost too much, they must be making a killing or their profit is so high......
Just to hear that is the lowest point for anyone who really  cares or tries to do somthing positive. it's hurtful and uninformed.

Our cost on the Quadrapuss is around 385.00 per  unit and we are charging 550.00 per unit. Does that sound like good business to you ?

What we are offering, what we have been thru, you would think people would be lining up around the corner for these, we made these for you !

Not to get rich but to create a buzz ,something everyone can be proud to own, Hand made, guaranteed ,meticulously designed with quality parts and at an incredibly reasonable fair price.

Without the support of the community ,one day we are all going to wake up and there will be no Vintage Vibe, no Speakeasy, no Major Key, all because we did not support them.  Luckily  for us there are more supporters with positive vibes than the small minority who cannot think out of the box long enough to realize  good things are usually fleeting.

Once again, I humbly thank everyone who supports us in this venture. If ever there is anything we can do just ask!.

PS. On a positive note we are getting some incredible feedback on the QuadraPuss by their new owners

Not just in commerce but in the world of ideas too our age is putting on a veritable clearance sale. Everything can be had so dirt cheap that one begins to wonder whether in the end anyone will want to make a bid.
Soren Kierkegaard

Very true, Chris -- thanks for summarizing what most all of us who are seeking the ultimate Rhodes tone know or are in the process of figuring out: to capitalize on the unique tone and output characteristics of the Rhodes, you need to go for a specialized preamp -- one that's built with no quality compromises and pure dedication to the instrument.  I'm sure VintageVibe is fully committed to this, and I know I don't go to the gig without my Speakeasy vintage preamps on the Rhodes.  They are almost as important in the overall instrument to output chain as the Rhodes itself.
Rhodes 1976 and 1978 Mark 1 Stage 73s, Speakeasy Vintage and BBE Preamps, Bose LP1 and MotionSound amps