Author Topic: Suitcase Help - Using accesorry jacks/not loud enough  (Read 4637 times)

Offline 21stcenturydigitaljeff

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Suitcase Help - Using accesorry jacks/not loud enough
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
So theres something wrong with my piano.  I cant get sound unless I run a 1/4inch cable out the preamp (keyboard) accessory into the "power amp input" on the suitcase cabinet

Problem is it doesn't seem as loud as it use to be before I started having problems with the preamp, any suggestions on whats wrong and how to fix it?  I already tried a new 5 pin cable and had the power amp checked out.
Thanks

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 09:09:24 AM »
The next logical part to have checked would be the stereo tremelo unit,directly behind the jacks. I'm willing to bet there's corrosion or something went bad inside.Did something spill on it maybe?

Have a tech check it out if you aren't sure what you are doing with electronics.

Steve O
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »
It's a tough call when it comes to electronics, there's a lot going on and without pics its tough to remotely tell you what's going on without seeing it.  

It's obviously amp related if you switched the cable, you said poweramp checks out?  It could be preamp yes, but also poweramp where the piano connects (i'm guessing you said it checks out because you're using it with the 1/4" just fine).  

I would say open the preamp box, and lightly move some wires around look for broken connections and / or burnouts.  Before taking it in.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:14 PM »
So in the Preamp I found out the wire going from the 2 pin on the 5pin adapter to E15 on the circuit board was loose and when I moved it around it seemed to give sound/light in the LED

so I disconnected the wire and got a new pin clamp to clamp it back on but it still doesn't give me sound, only pops and clips as I move the wire around on the E15 connection.  

I see on the schematic theres a white circle in between the 5pin adapter and the E15 on the circuit board, what does this mean? is it something I need?

thanks

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 02:26:21 AM »
Well can anyone at least tell me if it will be louder with the 5pin working?

Because right now it works with using the accessory jack I just cant get it as loud as I would like too

Offline O.Lahoz

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 06:35:41 AM »
Well can anyone at least tell me if it will be louder with the 5pin working?

Yes, the preamp increases the instrument level before it sending to the power amp.
The sound is clearer and powerful. Also, the rhodes is an high impedance instrument (like a electrical guitar) and the preamp rectifies this electrical characteristic.

If you have a tester, your might verify if the suitcase amp 5 pins conector works (specially #2 and #5, the 15VDC pins). See the online manual:http://www.fenderrhodes.org/ch11/fig11-3.jpg

HAVE CARE WITH THE ELECTRICAL CURRENT!!! If you dont know what you do, asks a technician for help.

Good luck!
O. Lahoz
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Rhodes Suitcase 73 Mark I  / 1979 Rhodes Stage 73 Mark I -->TC Electronic G-Force

Offline modorange

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 11:32:16 PM »
That is a good idea, my 80w Suitcase had a one-side-only tremolo sound, and after I went to the trouble of opening it up and looking at the modules etc.. It turns out the plug had one of the contacts came loose from the wire inside. I soldered it back and now the unit works fine. There is a separate wire for each channel, I believe.
Rhodes Mk 1 Suitcase 73, Mini D, Roland SH-1, Ibanez AD230, Ludwig drums, Zildjian cymbals, and various other musical toys