News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

1978 Mark I Stage with active preamp. Rare? Worth?

Started by Richard R, May 11, 2007, 05:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard R

Hello everyone.

I have a 1978 (I'm guessing) Mark I Stage 73, with an active pickup--like the suitcase models. I've never seen a stage with one of these before in my life.

Were these very common? What's a ballpark figure on it's worth sans sustain pedal?

Any information would be greatly welcomed. Below is a picture.

Richard

modorange

That looks like a suitcase top with legs added. No sustain pedal?
Rhodes Mk 1 Suitcase 73, Mini D, Roland SH-1, Ibanez AD230, Ludwig drums, Zildjian cymbals, and various other musical toys

Richard R

The leg sockets seem to be factory installed from what I can tell. No sustain pedal...

Rhodesman

What you have is either the Super Satelite system or the Janus I system. These options upgraded the stages passive preamp with a control panel identical to the suitcase. They also came with a pair of amplified "satelite" speakers. Here's the link that can be found in the models section of this website. The Janus system was introduced in 1978 but like many of the Rhodes introductions there's a good chance the Super Satelite system was being produced, not really sure though. Here's the link to the page, its towards the bottom,

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/models/amp.php
76 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage 73=> Vox wah=>Morley Volume Pedal=> Arion Stereo Phaser => Vox AD100VT

BJT3

QuoteWhat's a ballpark figure on it's worth sans sustain pedal?
Depends where your at. Here in the US, if the insides are in good shape, somewhere around $600-$1,000 probably. Keep in mind, in order to use the active pre, you'll need a power supply/pin breakout. They go for about $200. A repacement for the sustain pedal will probably cost around $100-$150. You can also check eBays completed listing to get a price of what Rhodes are going for in your area. Hope this helps,
-Ben-
1978 Mark I Stage Piano 88
1970 Wurlitzer 200
Hohner D6 Clavinet
1961 Hammond A100 Organ
1977 Fender Twin Reverb (Blackfaced)

The Real MC

That's a 5-pin preamp, the Satellite speakers only worked with the older 4-pin preamps.  This piano would had Janus speakers.  And there are extra jacks on the panel so the preamp has been modified.

modorange

I'll bet it sounds great, or at least potentially. They are very rare, I believe.
Rhodes Mk 1 Suitcase 73, Mini D, Roland SH-1, Ibanez AD230, Ludwig drums, Zildjian cymbals, and various other musical toys