News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Should I buy this Rhodes?

Started by tgoad, May 14, 2007, 09:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgoad

I went in to a local music store today, and they're selling an old Mark II (at least I think thats what model it is). The guy working there said he had to fix it up a lot and that it is a suitcase model. None of the vibrato knobs or the other knobs work on the front panel work. And except for the last 3 keys they all play. The sound on the piano is still good. The price is $250. Do you think this is a good buy?

------------------------------------------- edit

"hey brutha..the rhodes is a mark I- it is the keyboard part to an older suitcase model...probably mid to late 60's. (post CBS instrument...which means that it is a RHODES -- not a Fender RHODES.

MARKI 73 - Suitcase model (without the suitcase)

that enought info?

-j "

that is from one of the guys that works at the store, so its a mark 1 not II

Ben Bove

the parts alone are worth 250 in non-working condition.  plastic keys might be a little less value, whether you like them or not people think they're less.  but not working, and paying a tech $400 to get whatever you need up and running, you'll have a $1000 mk2 suitcase for $650 or so.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Rhodesman

But don't listen to the guy at the Music store because he has NOOO idea what he's talking about. Mark I's weren't built until 1970 and it was a Fender Rhodes then, they became just Rhodes around 1975 (but this is VERRRY approximate there is much controversy as you can see in other threads, as they didn't switch over all at once) But in a way thats kind of a good thing because if he really knew what he was talking about he wouldn't be selling a Rhodes suitcase for only $250, even with problems :wink:
76 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage 73=> Vox wah=>Morley Volume Pedal=> Arion Stereo Phaser => Vox AD100VT

Ben Bove

ahh... its only the top section.  Well it's still worth it parts wise however you will have to eventually find a suitcase bottom for it.  There isn't any leg flanges so you'll have to put it on an "X" stand, and sustain pedal could be a problem.  but again, it's worth it.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Rhodesman

oooh, must've missed that part about it just being the top.  :roll: In that case its not quite as special
76 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage 73=> Vox wah=>Morley Volume Pedal=> Arion Stereo Phaser => Vox AD100VT

BJT3

Quote from: "bjammerz"There isn't any leg flanges so you'll have to put it on an "X" stand.

From what I've read, (don't own a suitcase myself), the wood on the bottom of the suitcases is not as thick as on the Stage. Is it thick enough to use an X stand, or would it be better of with a folding "table" style stand?

Too get the preamp working you'll need to buy or make a power supply/pin breakout box.

I'd see if he'll take $200 and run like a mofo....

-Ben-
1978 Mark I Stage Piano 88
1970 Wurlitzer 200
Hohner D6 Clavinet
1961 Hammond A100 Organ
1977 Fender Twin Reverb (Blackfaced)

tgoad

so the piano plays, and its got a nice rhodes sound. after i buy it should i worry about getting fixed more? or not worry about it cause it sounds good?

O.Lahoz

QuoteFrom what I've read, (don't own a suitcase myself), the wood on the bottom of the suitcases is not as thick as on the Stage. Is it thick enough to use an X stand, or would it be better of with a folding "table" style stand?

Do not worry for the thickness of the Suitcase bottom's wood. It is possible to use one X stand. It is a bit thinner because it doesn't need the legs' metal flanges of the Stage.
O. Lahoz
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Rhodes Suitcase 73 Mark I  / 1979 Rhodes Stage 73 Mark I -->TC Electronic G-Force

kitchen

Quoteafter i buy it should i worry about getting fixed more?

If it plays, you like the sound and feel, buy it no problem ! But if you really want to discover the (hidden) sound potential of this piano you need to get it teched properly. It's like bjammerz said: buy it for $200-250, spend some bucks on modding/customizing/teching the piano and you've got a gem for (relatively) cheap.

Kitchen
'76 Mk I Stage 73 -> 70's Small Stone

modorange

You could probably search on this website and others and look at the service information and use it as a learning experience. Most of the problems would probably be easily fixed yourself. Later if you have the money and want a professional to work on it, you could. I don't see much of a down side to it. With no bottom you need an amplifier. You could probably end up with a very fine Rhodes Suitcase. Every now and then an amplifier base comes along. But they sound fine simply plugged into the top out jack to an amp.

Treat it as a project and join the club. The worse that would happen is you'd make a few mistakes and it would be slightly worse than it is now, and you would have to take it to a tech with virtually the same cost as before. Enjoy!
Rhodes Mk 1 Suitcase 73, Mini D, Roland SH-1, Ibanez AD230, Ludwig drums, Zildjian cymbals, and various other musical toys

tgoad

I went and traded one of my old guitars in today for the rhodes. I didn't realize how big or heavy it was, holy cow. I'll try to put pictures up. It has incredible action, theres a few keys that aren't as loud as the others on the low end, but besides that it plays great.