Author Topic: How to Ship a Rhodes economically and safely  (Read 3951 times)

Offline modorange

• Mark I
    • View Profile
How to Ship a Rhodes economically and safely
« on: May 23, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »
Hi, I was wondering what the best method to ship the Rhodes would be. There could be twice the costs with a suitcase top/bottom, but on a Stage piano, you could possibly line the exterior with some 3/4" insulation sheating available at the Home Depot or other builders supply houses. I have used this on speaker cabinets before and it works. I would be concerned about sending these with only cardboard around the case--wouldn't that be  somewhat dangerous, if it got dropped?

Also what methods would be safe for keeping the insides from moving unnecessarily? Would it even be necessary to put anything inside? Or what about the top of the keys or the top of the case? Would the lid be enough or should it be stuffed with foam or bubble wrap?

I really would like to know from a more experienced shipper. I know I am sounding cheap here, I would prefer to avoid sending this freight. I have sent a Rhodes Freight before, though. I had one about 5 years ago that was sent freight. The buyer was happy to get it. It cost over $200 five years ago. If you could get the size under the 130 inch total length + girth then UPS would probably take it. What about DHL? Has anyone used them? Thanks in advance!
Rhodes Mk 1 Suitcase 73, Mini D, Roland SH-1, Ibanez AD230, Ludwig drums, Zildjian cymbals, and various other musical toys

Offline Rhodesman

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:05:02 PM »
A friend of mine owns SJC drums, don't know if you've heard of them, if not you should check them out, they're real nice. Anyway, he had used DHL but even though they were a little cheaper than UPS, they weren't too careful, often the drums would arrive damaged despite being packed extremely well. He switched to UPS and they're a little pricier, but there service is far superior, and faster. I'm not positive, but I think if you ship freight, you are required to pack it in a crate, even if not, if you've seen the way these guys handle your stuff, you'd want to too. Remember, for the little extra effort that comes from packing well, you're ensuring that your precious cargo doesn't get damaged, and when its a Rhodes, its worth it.
76 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage 73=> Vox wah=>Morley Volume Pedal=> Arion Stereo Phaser => Vox AD100VT

Offline modorange

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:17:10 PM »
I think there was another topic somewhere on this forum that addresses packaging of a Rhodes Piano but I couldn't find it. I agree about being careful. Packing technique and procedure is also something I'm really interested in finding out what methods anyone does here. Thanks!

I did ship a Rhodes to NYC freight 5 years ago. The freight service actually offered to provide a crate for it. Like I said it was very pricey!

There should be a happy medium that can allow one to ship without paying a substantial percentage of the actual value of the piano, otherwise Rhodes pianos never would have sold as many as they did....
Rhodes Mk 1 Suitcase 73, Mini D, Roland SH-1, Ibanez AD230, Ludwig drums, Zildjian cymbals, and various other musical toys

Offline Mark II

• Mark V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:20:48 PM »
Quote from: "modorange"
I think there was another topic somewhere on this forum that addresses packaging of a Rhodes Piano but I couldn't find it.

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=511

next time ask me at once ;-)

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

Offline modorange

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 01:32:29 AM »
Thanks Mark (II), I'll do so next time for sure!