News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

EHX Stereo Pulsar

Started by Spookyman, June 11, 2007, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookyman

A little post to put my first impressions over this small pedal from Electro Harmonix. One of the new pedals, from the XO Serie.

Perhaps, you know everything about the Pulsar, the original Tremolo Pedal from EHX. The effect is simple, you can switch between variable shapes from Triangle Wave to Square Wave. You can adjust the rate and the depth of the effect.

The Stereo Pulsar is allmost the same, but....in STEREO ! And that makes all the difference. For sure, you can use it mono, like the original. You will simply have a tremolo pedal that allows significant control over the shape fo modulating waveforms.

But you can hook it up in stereo. Each output to a separate Amp/channel and you have a stereo panner pedal that send the instrument signal back and forth between two amps with the same control as the Mono Version. You can swith from a sound that is fading up in volume on the left while it's fading down to the right. (Triangle Wave modus) Or the signal is "on" on the left while it's "off "on the right. (Square Wave modus)

I tried with a "simple" DX-7 E-piano (noooo, not the ultra classic sound...a heavy modified version that sounds a bit like a Mk2 stage), mono output direct on my Revox Mixer then to the Dynaudio monitors.

:D  :D  :D

Sounds really really good. There is a little bit background noise (yeah it's an analog effect) but it's absolutely acceptable. My DX-7 also make a little bit noise.

I will try the same in two days with my stage piano, directly into the mixing desk.

But my first impression is very positive. Sounds allmost like a suitecase, even it was "only" a poor cold Yamaha synth.

And about the price, i think it's correct. I saw it for 69$ in some store. You get alot of sound for the bucks.  :wink:
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 1973

joseph

hey,
great you like it.

how's the highs (and the lows)? does it change the sound/frequencies?

- joseph

Spookyman

I can't say about the sound modification with the real thing (Stage Piano), but in the case of the DX-7, the sound was quite the same with the effect engaged than with the true bypass. (I mean, no loss in high or bass frequency)

This effect is very neutral in therm of coloration. It's really only a modulation effect. Not more.

But i will give some precisions in 3 days, after testing with my stage piano and the Vintage Vibe Preamp.  :wink:

But the first impression is very positive.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

Spookyman

Ok, a test with the "real thing" tonight.

Fender Rhodes Stage 73 (1975), equiped with a Vintage Vibe Preamp, directly to the Stereo Pulsar, and then in the Mackie Onyx Mixer. Monitoring from EV Audio.

It sounds like a Suitecase.

Nuff said.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

tgoad

can you post a mp3 of it?

Spookyman

I will try to record it  :wink:  

But i have to take my recording equipement to the practice room where is my Stage Piano.

In my home studio, i only have synths...no piano.
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

tgoad

dang sounds like you have a pretty nice set up. what kind of synths do you have?

Spookyman

Some old and newer ones.

But it changes allmost every year. One "new" instrument is coming, while the other is leaving.

The only moment, when i had my Stage Piano at home, with the Twin Reverb. Before i mounted the new Preamp.

And here with the new preamp :

Fender Rhodes Stage 1971

tgoad

Man I'm really jealous. Maybe someday when I graduate from college and get a grown up job I can fuel my habit for vintage keyboards.

Swatkins

I've been using the Stereo Pulsar as well, and I'm very impressed with the effect.
There's some hiss in the background, but nothing major.
The "warble" that comes from the stereo outputs is VERY rich-sounding and is an excellent sound to add to an analog arsenal.
Great great pedal, I'm happy with the new line of effects from Electro-Harmonix.

rhodespower

I ordered my EHX Pulsar Stereo the other day. But, there was a terrific delay of delievery and was out of stock at the moment. Well, I'll just have to wait. I got It for reasonable $126 w. shipping to Sweden, a very nice price I think...  :wink:
Rhodes Stage 73 MkII, wooden keys. Manufactured a monday, week 9, 1980. S/N: 750220. My music: www.myspace.com/myqforce

kitchen

Hmm, you're in Sweden right ? Have you checked www.musicstorekoeln.de ?
They sell it for € 75 and if I'm correct € 15 for shipping.
Not too big a difference maybe, but still....if you pay online right after you order they ship within 2-3 days.

Kitchen
'76 Mk I Stage 73 -> 70's Small Stone

rhodespower

Thank you for the tip man!  :wink:

In fact I made a decision and canceled my Pulsar Stereo from Dolphin Music via phone yesterday and ordered It on MusicStore instead to a even lower price (90€ incl. shipping is a real bargain!), and It will delivered in 3 days or so via UPS, just perfect...

EHX have major delivery problems on this product I've heard, so this EHX Pulsar Stereo is very tuff at the moment to get because they're sold out or out of stock for a long time everywhere...
Rhodes Stage 73 MkII, wooden keys. Manufactured a monday, week 9, 1980. S/N: 750220. My music: www.myspace.com/myqforce

kitchen

And..? Have you got the pedal, I'm pretty anxious to hear this pedal on a Rhodes !
What's your experience up until now ?

Kitchen

rhodespower

Quote from: "kitchen"And..? Have you got the pedal, I'm pretty anxious to hear this pedal on a Rhodes !
What's your experience up until now ?

Kitchen
This weekend I tried out my EHX Stereo Pulsar a little deeper, and...

IM VERY IMPRESSED!

For exampe; If you turn the DEPTH-knob over 12 o'clock things begin to change, the very sweet stereo tremolo effect switch to a nice pseudo stereo imaging enhance that really bring to front any mono-signal you can dream of!

The LED also visually shows exact what's going on inside the box, very nice.

The direct contact and overall feeling & sound of this pedal makes It a real bargain!

This is without any doupt a highly recommendable EHX-product that in my ears not only sound like a terrific very smooth and nice tremolo.
It also got so many more qualities bringing you a very impressive and nice sound to any source you plug in to It.

kitchen

Super, I'm glad you like it !! Any chance of soundclips ??
Currently I'm looking into a EHX Deluxe Memory Man, but that's just because I might just get it for very little money (fingers crossed !). If that won't work out I'll be getting the Pulsar.
This weekend there's a vintage guitar show where there will also be a few pedals,amps and so on. Maybe I can score something there. Last time there was a Fender fuzz/wah....still thinking about that one.....should I've bought it ?

Anyone got experience with the Memory Man ?

Kitchen

tagirov

Hi guys. First time here.
I've recently got a 1977 Rhodes MK I Stage Piano and now looking for a good tremolo pedal for it.
I think EHX Stereo Pulsar is one of the best candidates, but I have one question.
Is it Stereo when bypassed?
Thanks in advance.
---
Best regards, Ruslan
[Rhodes Stage Piano MKI 1977 73]

pianotuner steveo

My educated guess says no. Any stereo effect I've ever used had to be "on" to be stereo.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Cormac Long

I bought an EHX Stereo Pulsar before and returned it because I found the tremolo speed control too sensitive. The rate would go from slow to fast on the slightest adjustment.

I ended up getting a used MXR M159 which was perfect for the job. But that product seems discontinued for quite some time.
You have a usable rate control, wave shape pot.. both extremes are cats-eye and square. You've also got a depth control.
It has two stomp switches, one is on/off and the other toggles between panning tremolo and just a mono tremolo.

When its in the off position, there is a pass-thru signal coming out via both L/R outputs. But I would expect this with all stereo Fx boxes.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

tagirov

Well, another box, EHX Super Pulsar has True bypass and its BYPASS Signal Flow:
MONO In/Out: MONO / L Input connects directly to MONO / L Output.
MONO In/STEREO Out: MONO / L connects directly to both L and R Outputs.
STEREO IN/MONO Out: MONO / L connects directly to MONO / L Output, the R Input is disconnected in Bypass.
STEREO IN/OUT: MONO / L Input connects directly to MONO / L Output; R Input connects directly to R Output.

So what about EHX XO Stereo Pulsar?
No tech notes on EHX website about it in the manual.
---
Best regards, Ruslan

Cormac Long

From recollection, I don't recall having a left or right only sound when my Pulsar was in the "off" position.

but I also had mine powered via an external PSU. So I have no idea if it was still drawing power to provide output on both channels. Because if it was, then that's not good news if you are planning to drive it via battery.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

tagirov

Maybe I should buy EHX Super Pulsar instead, with tap tempo and presets and guaranteed true stereo bypass
---
Best regards, Ruslan

mantrak

I am selling mine, mint. Make me an offer here or write to mantrak (at) siol.com.
Korg SV1, Nord Electro 5D
Wurlitzer 270
Rhodes MK1 73

ImNotDedYet

If you're looking for a Tremolo effect, I love my Fulltone Supa Trem2.  Might be worth looking into.

tagirov

Now I'm thinking of Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe preamp
---
Best regards, Ruslan

EvanBingham

Does the supa-trem 2 have less background noise?

mvanmanen

Quote from: EvanBingham on November 18, 2017, 06:17:20 AM

I have one. No background noise.
Very little to no tone loss.
Excellent pedal.
Wurlitzer 200a
Wurlitzer 145
Fender Rhodes (1966, 1971, 1975)
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo
Hohner Clavinet D6s and C
Hohner Pianet T
Hohner Pianet N and Combo Pianet
Hammond B3

EvanBingham

I ended up just getting one of these for 50 dollars used from GC.  Works just fine and sounds cool.  No background noise.

Student Rhodes

Quote from: EvanBingham on November 18, 2017, 06:17:20 AM

I have a supe trem 2 that I really liked a lot.  It took a spill off the top of my Stage model and has stopped working.  Was kind of surprised because it seems like a pretty solidly built unit.   I have to get in touch with Fulltone to see if they'll fix it.