Author Topic: Selling Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase Piano.Interesting LA stamp  (Read 10039 times)

Offline DougsFenderRhodes73

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Selling Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase Piano.Interesting LA stamp  
Well hello everyone! Glad I could find a site that catered to this type of specialty. I have inherited a Fender Rhodes 73 suitcase piano and really know nothing about it. I can't play and therefore, it's just taking up space in the living room; which means it's got to go...

On the side of the amp/speaker box is the plate with a lot of information on it.

Here goes:
MODEL NO. FR 7054
SERIAL NO. 495-4269
STEREO PHONES (plug in)
EXTERNAL (with "1" underneath plug in)
AMPLIFIER (with "2" underneath plug in)
RHODES KEYBOARD INSTRUMENTS
PUSH TO RESET BUTTON
ON OFF toggle switch
PIANO PREAMP (plug in for 4 prong cable)
120V 60Hz
200 WATTS
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

And then there's an old time stamp on the side of the ON OFF switch with like a control number stamped across it. Here's what it says and the number that's stamped on the stamp...
((It's yellow and orange and about the size of a quarter.))
APPROVED FOR ELECTRICAL SAFETY
DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING & SAFETY
CITY OF LOS ANGELES
FOUNDED 1781
And then the stamped number on the stamp is: "AP 386309"

Maybe there's a serious collector out there who knows exactly what this means, so I'll just let it go at that. I'm sure it could prove to be a great piece of provenance for this outstanding piano if you were able to track it back to the clubs that it was played in!

Now, on to the top half of this unit...
RHODES
MAKERS OF FINE KEYBOARD INSTRUMENTS (written in silver on black in middle above keyboard)
On the left side of the piano above the last 10 or so white keys are as follows:
Numbers "1" and "2" ACCESSORY plugs on the far left. Next is the INPUT plug for that 4 prong cable. Next comes the Volume knob (which has a range of "1" to "10"). Next to it are the knobs (Two knobs that look like one knob) FLAT (on top) and CUT BOOST TREBLE/BASS (underneath). And the third knob is the VIBRATO (with SPEED/INTENSITY underneath) and PULL ON next to it.
The plastic over the inside of the piano is cracked and scuffed up a little, but not uncommon I wouldn't think. The letters SEVENTY THREE are in silver on this cover on the right side and the paint looks pretty good.
Ok, now I'm going to take off the top plastic cover and give you what's stamped inside on the upper right corner. It has the numbers and letters as follows: 010254-TBJ (underneath is stamped "1976"). In the closest corner on the right side is "2161" over the Rhodes metallic gold looking sticker (?) with more information on it. Here goes: RHODES KEYBOARD INSTRUMENTS
MAKERS OF FINE KEYBOARD INSTRUMENTS
FULLERTON, CALIFORNIA
(there's a few patent numbers next...)
SERIAL 72503
MODEL SUITCASE 73

If you need any photos I will send them to you as soon as possible....
whatever you need, just send me an email and I will do my best to reply as rapidly as possible with quality photos.

I read on this site where the pin cable is important so as I look at the pin, it's got a 4 pin cable.

We can work out delivery later, but I would be willing to drive a little ways to get this nice looking, nice sounding, and overall nice condition Fender Rhodes to it's new owner.

Thank you for your time and interest in this Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase Piano
What's it worth to you?
Email me with information and offers please.

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Congrats on inheriting a Rhodes, suitcase model nonetheless.  They're awesome instruments.

Your Piano model looks like this (thought not sure of cosmetic shape)

Did it come with the 4pin cable, and does it fire up and play with sound?  The important info is the "1976", showing the piano produced 19th week of 1976.  As far as pricing goes, an average price for a pretty good looking one would be $1200, upto $1500 for a really mint one and down to $500 for a really trashed, ripped up not-playing-right one.

Not sure what the LA stamp is, however usually these items don't affect the collectability, it is the production year that determines rarity and such.

I'm sure you could get some interest if you were able to post some pictures of it, best of luck.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »
I'll try and post some photos later on today (Wednesday).  It has the four pin connector, yes.  I'll get on the ball and try and get some photos posted.  I'm new to this site so it may take me a while to figure out how to post them.  Wish me luck.
Thanks again for your info and consideration.
Douglas

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
What a weird coincidence, I have one with date code 2476, otherwise pretty well identical. I paid substantially less for mine, but I bought it from a guitar player (insert joke here).

Doug, where's the middle of Kansas?  Hutch?

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 12:32:10 AM »
free photo hosting is on :

www.photobucket.com

upload photos, then paste the "IMG" link.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline Bob

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »
Greetings.
I'm new to this site.  Have same model as pictured below.  Want to sell.  Saw pricing and shipping warnings.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Purchased used from a store in Northfield, MN @ 1969-70.  Played in college and afterwards.  Piano has been in storage and unused for last 20+ years.  Took to EMI (in Mpls., MN sepcializes in music electronics).  Unit plays, 4 pin connector slightly corroded, so one hears static if bumped or cord is moved.  All functions work, all originial equipment as far as I can tell.  Plays and in good condition.

Hate to part with it, but my children don't want it, and I don't play anymore.
Would welcome input on how well e-bay works for this kind of thing.  Or other alternatives.
Thanks,
Bob

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Brookville, Kansas... west of Salina 15 miles
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay in getting on here.  I cut my first two fingers on the left hand and had to go to the emergency room for stitches.  Been taking it easy since Wed.  Will post photos next week.. Yeah, what a coincidence.. not too far apart in time that's for sure!  Will catch up with you all later.
Douglas

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
will try out photobucket when fingers heal.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »
sorry for the delays...  it's just one of those things I guess!  
Douglas