News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Piano Bass

Started by apexlocator, April 01, 2004, 06:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apexlocator

I play left hand bass and wanted something other than the wave of synths we all use.  I read on the site that Ray from the Doors used the Piano Bass.  My question is, can you just use a suitcase piano on the lower octave or is the piano bass a different instrument.  In other words, is the piano bass merely a chopped down version of the full size keyboard?
Hammond B3/Two 122s
Ensoniq SQ80
Korg Piano Module

james

You can think of the Piano Bass as being the lowest 32 notes of a Stage 73.  As you said, it's a chopped down version of the piano (and like a Stage 73, it needs a guitar or bass amp to go with it).
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

dnarkosis

If you do use a Suitcase for your bass, remember that you can tweak the timbre of the lower part of the keyboard to get a "bass-ier" sound while leaving the upper part with a more normal timbre (whatever that is).
1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54

Aptitude

The 'bassier' sound attributed to a maxxed "bass boost" EQ is actually the same natural bass tone that would be produced by the piano-bass, because that knob is actually a reverse bass-reduction filter.  Thus, the 10 setting on the bass boost knob is the natural signal, while a 0 would be the maximum bass-reduction.

This was applied to the full size keyboards to balance the greater amplitudes(=louder signal) that the tines for the lower register notes vibrate at compared to the highs.

Cheers
-Ap

snowchris2001

If you can find one, get a piano bass.  They are so awesome.  I'd think that if you already are using another keyboard for your right hand, you wouldn't want to use a full size 73 in addition?  

I was lucky enough to get one in working order off of ebay for $210 in good shape,but missing the tine cover.

mystery_train67

hi everyone,
im new here, but i too am thinking of buying a Piano Bass.
ima huge Doors fan and have heard many many concerts where Ray Manzerek uses the Piano Bass, and is sounds very much like a bass. obviously it has the percussive sound of a piano and not the plucked sound of a guitar, but it is very bassy.  I find it hard to understand how simply boosting the bass makes it sound like a bass, i thought maybe thicker strings which were plucked, not hammered??

I am in Australia, is anyone interested in selling a Piano Bass? or know where i might find one locally?

thanks!
Travis

SnowChris2001

I too am a huge Doors fan hence my interest in the piano bass in the first place so I'm with ya on tha one! :D
Try to look on ebay from time to time.   In my opinion, for the true doors sound, there is no substitue for a Rhodes Piano Bass.   Incredibly easy to play those Manzarek bass lines,but nothing else really duplicates it well.
Good Luck with your search and besides... The Fender Rhodes Piano Bass just looks so darn cool!
I have mine on top of a Vox Jaguar because I can't afford a Continental.

mystery_train67

DO you ever break strings on the Piano Bass?
I imagine parts would be expensive?
hey man, are you a member at the Doors official board?

Quote from: "SnowChris2001"I too am a huge Doors fan hence my interest in the piano bass in the first place so I'm with ya on tha one! :D
Try to look on ebay from time to time.   In my opinion, for the true doors sound, there is no substitue for a Rhodes Piano Bass.   Incredibly easy to play those Manzarek bass lines,but nothing else really duplicates it well.
Good Luck with your search and besides... The Fender Rhodes Piano Bass just looks so darn cool!
I have mine on top of a Vox Jaguar because I can't afford a Continental.

SnowChris2001

I haven't broken any strings yet... I've only had the piano bass since late July.  
I am a member on the Doors official board.. my name their is snowman2

Keep searching for the Rhodes bass ... I love mine.

rachel

Quote from: "mystery_train67"hi everyone,
im new here, but i too am thinking of buying a Piano Bass.
ima huge Doors fan and have heard many many concerts where Ray Manzerek uses the Piano Bass, and is sounds very much like a bass. obviously it has the percussive sound of a piano and not the plucked sound of a guitar, but it is very bassy.  I find it hard to understand how simply boosting the bass makes it sound like a bass, i thought maybe thicker strings which were plucked, not hammered??

I am in Australia, is anyone interested in selling a Piano Bass? or know where i might find one locally?

thanks!
Travis

Hi,
I am also in Australia and just did a deal to get a Piano Bass imported yesterday!
I do not know a lot about them, except that I know the sound and the full Piano versions
much better.  I missed out on a Suitcase 88 last year but this is even better!    
I think you will have to keep searching - I got lucky this time.   I don't think there's many Piano Bass models in Australia.   Does anyone know or can hazard a guess?

rachel

Fred

To answer some previous questions, the piano bass is a chopped version of a Rhodes, but the pickups and the namerail where wired differently to filter out some of the harmonics. I have two. The first is a festa red model...Really cool 1st generation Fender Rhodes for the collection! The second one I decided to have a little fun with...It's a late model black top. I swapped out the hammer tips and dampers and created my own harp assembly with the standard series/parallel wiring and volume/"bass boost" controls to make a really portable mid-range Rhodes MkI piano. Yes, it's more of a novelty, but it does have it's moments of being really handy, although really limiting and somewhat freakish, especially when I flip my Fender DeVille on it's side and put the mini piano on top! :mrgreen: