News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

I DROPPED MY RHODES TODAY =(

Started by Boring_Ghosts, November 22, 2004, 10:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boring_Ghosts

Hey all... I have a Rhodes 88 suitcase piano. I recently acquired it, and today was finally able to bring it home. While my friend and I were lining it up to find the sustain pedal hole, we had it too far back while leaning it back to search for the hole and the left side of it fell backwards and hit the floor. We picked it back up, and the front console had moved, and a few of the keys were stuck. We moved the console back into place and now all the keys go down smoothly. From looking at the tines, nothing seems to have been broken, but when I play the bottom keys though, it sounds way dissonant and out of tune (unplugged - perhaps it's just this way since the notes are so low? I haven't been able to plug it in since it's wired funny)

I am extremely distressed right now, and I hope there was no permanent damage done to my Rhodes. I've taken a picture of the top, can anyone verify if my baby will be okay? Has anyone ever dropped a Rhodes and lived to tell about it? How much do good Rhodes techs charge? Thanks!

Eric Forman

You could take it to vintage vibe or if you really want to get hosed take it to that place in PA.

PHOTOS

HEY MAN,

HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO DOWNLOAD PHOTOS HERE IN THIS SITE ?

I WANT IT TOO BUT THE SYSTEM COULD N'T LET ME.

THANKS

Anonymous

What do you mean it's wired funny?  It sounds like you've got the speaker cab that comes with the suitcase model like yours since you were talking about lining up the hole for the sustain pedal.  The dissonance is very likely just the way you're hearing it because the low notes are so low on the 88s.  Try plugging it into a guitar amp using the accessory outs on the piano.

Pianokeys

It's quite obvious by looking that the little tuner thingies were simply knocked to the end, making the notes much lower than they should be.

This seems like a simple-as-pie fix.

mmmm. piiiiiiiiiiie....

tnelson

Back in the 70's, advertisements for Rhodes pianos maintained that they could withstand a 6 foot drop without ill effect.

Pianokeys

They forgot to mention that, while it survives the fall, hitting the ground's still a bitch and it'll probably break.

BackRoomSounds

You maybe worrying uneccessarily, when not amped those bottom notes sound like s**t. As long as things arnt broken the worst it could be is out of tune.

8)

andi85

Quote from: "Pianokeys"They forgot to mention that, while it survives the fall, hitting the ground's still a bitch and it'll probably break.

:D oh yes, probably you´re right.
Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!