News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

slightly off topic: Felt Hammer Repair questions for Rhodes

Started by absent, December 19, 2007, 11:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

absent

Hi.
This is off topic, but it is addressed to folks who have specifically worked on the older, wood-and-felt hammers in Rhodes. I am working on a 64 Key  Helpinstil Roadmaster.
This one is basically a folding Kimball-action (not Melodigrand, which I could actually get parts for) piano in an alumnium road case with two Helpinstill pickups.
Sadly, it was stored for two years after a bout with moisture without being properly dehumidified*  and a bunch of the hammer felts have started to unwrap.
We need URGENTLY to get this piece working *soon* (our other piano is dead), and I feel that spring clamps, superglue, and superglue activator could
possibly fix this. Please give me the solution a Rhodes tech would use in this situation, that is, if there is a solution besides $400 worth of new custom-made hammers.

*by athe piano tech who I bought it from and was warned when he bought it from the previous owner it needed to be taken care of .This repair could have been avoided, and I nagged this particular tech, who couldn't be bothered with even opening the case. %*#@!
My roommate, a fellow Hawkwind fan aware of Wilhelm Reich, frequently jokes that I left the "Organ Accumulator" turned on.
I am on my 3d Rhodes (a 1980 MK II Stage 73), which I am restoring to sell. I am about to inherit (sadly) a restored Wurli of unknown origin. My house is awash with Hammond Spinets (and an H series console), 4 Farfisa items in various stages of disrepair, and I sold the remains of my Vox Super-Continental to get my working Yamaha dual-manual combo organ. I have from 2-3 Moogs, depending on what you call a Moog.
My girlfreind says I am like a cat lady, but with keyboards. The punchline: I am a guitarist.

pianotuner steveo

You are on the right track, but NOT "SUPER GLUE"

I am actually working on a junky spinet piano for a 94 year old with the exact same problem right now. I bought a container of inexpensive,small spring clamps from Lowe's, and I am brushing WOOD GLUE onto the corresponding wood and felt parts. Line up carefully,and clamp.The clamps can be removed the next day.A light sanding of the sides of the hammers may be needed when done.

This process MAY change the voicing a little, but that's another thing altogether.The important thing is to get them back together first.

BTW, I have done this twice before, and have had no complaints.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

absent

Ignorant question of the day:
I think I may know, but...what is this "voicing" of which you speak? *ducks*

---OK, I just appended the following to this post. I looeked up voicing- is this something to be attempted by a novice, or should I call in a piano tech after I get them reglued? The tech I bought the thing from pretty much wants nothing to do with fixing it, but might voice it after I have screwed it up for him so he doesn't have to damage his hoity-toity reputation (or that's the impression I got, anyway...)

Quote from: "pianotuner steveo"You are on the right track, but NOT "SUPER GLUE"

I am actually working on a junky spinet piano for a 94 year old with the exact same problem right now. I bought a container of inexpensive,small spring clamps from Lowe's, and I am brushing WOOD GLUE onto the corresponding wood and felt parts. Line up carefully,and clamp.The clamps can be removed the next day.A light sanding of the sides of the hammers may be needed when done.

This process MAY change the voicing a little, but that's another thing altogether.The important thing is to get them back together first.

BTW, I have done this twice before, and have had no complaints.
My roommate, a fellow Hawkwind fan aware of Wilhelm Reich, frequently jokes that I left the "Organ Accumulator" turned on.
I am on my 3d Rhodes (a 1980 MK II Stage 73), which I am restoring to sell. I am about to inherit (sadly) a restored Wurli of unknown origin. My house is awash with Hammond Spinets (and an H series console), 4 Farfisa items in various stages of disrepair, and I sold the remains of my Vox Super-Continental to get my working Yamaha dual-manual combo organ. I have from 2-3 Moogs, depending on what you call a Moog.
My girlfreind says I am like a cat lady, but with keyboards. The punchline: I am a guitarist.

pianotuner steveo

If the hammers sound too loud,harsh,bright or however you want to say it, then you can attempt to voice them yourself, but you would either need a tech's voicing tool or you would have to make one. The fastest,easiest thing to do when hammers are too loud is to brush them with a small brass brush,not steel, brass. This cleans the dirt out of them and can usually dramatically soften the tone.

The special voicing tool contains usually 3 or 4 heavy needles (like real strong sewing needles-not wimpy ones that can break in the felt) You basically just needle the felt to soften them up, but you should read up on how to do it if you want to attempt it. The Reblitz Piano tuning,servicing,and rebuilding book is a good place to start.

If the hammers are too quiet or dull sounding, then you definitely need to call a tech and be sure to ask him or her if they are experienced in that sort of thing. I know a LOT of techs that are afraid to even try to make hammers sound louder.It is far more difficult than softening them.

But like I said, the main thing right now is to glue them on and make  them work. If any fall off completely,be sure to note exacly what hammer number the felt came from.

If the tech you dealt with before is one of the hoity toity types (most piano tuners are,I am not) try a different one. Call around, ask questions. Find one that you get along with!

You can be the best piano tuner in the world and have zero business from being a jerk to people. I know of friendly techs that aren't that good yet,( they are inexperienced) and have great success because they treat people right.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...