Author Topic: Fender Rhodes at Guitar Center  (Read 5047 times)

Offline coachdobbs

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Colby Dobbs Band online
Fender Rhodes at Guitar Center
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
So I was in our local Guitar Center in Charlotte NC and when I walked back to the keyboard section I was AMAZED to see a Rhodes for sale! Now let me say it wasnt         the best looking one I have ever seen. It was a stage 73 stamped 3475 with the "Rhodes" panel. It wasnt in really all that great of shape. Tolex torn in a few spots and the "Seventy Three" logo was missing. The harp cover was pretty nicked upand some of the keys had obviously been replaced.  I would say out of 10 I would give it a 5.5. I had never seen one in any kind of music store around here before so when I saw one it was a shock! I played it and it played pretty well. But the funny thing was the price tag... $1199!! I wanna be there when they sell it for that much... But thats how those stores do it. Buy it cheap and make a killing selling it to someone who thinks its cooland doesnt know what are buying. Has anyone else on here ever seen one pop up in a big chain store like that?
1978 Fender Rhodes Stage 73 (3978) 
Roland JC-120 
BBE Sonic Maximizer 
Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble/1982 Boss CE-2/1982 Ibanez CS-9
1978 EHX Small Stone/EHX Polyphase
MXR Analogman Dyna/Ross
1974 Thomas Organ Wah

Offline pianodano

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Fender Rhodes at Guitar Center
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »
Quote from: "coachdobbs"
So I was in our local Guitar Center in Charlotte NC and when I walked back to the keyboard section I was AMAZED to see a Rhodes for sale! Now let me say it wasnt         the best looking one I have ever seen. It was a stage 73 stamped 3475 with the "Rhodes" panel. It wasnt in really all that great of shape. Tolex torn in a few spots and the "Seventy Three" logo was missing. The harp cover was pretty nicked upand some of the keys had obviously been replaced.  I would say out of 10 I would give it a 5.5. I had never seen one in any kind of music store around here before so when I saw one it was a shock! I played it and it played pretty well. But the funny thing was the price tag... $1199!! I wanna be there when they sell it for that much... But thats how those stores do it. Buy it cheap and make a killing selling it to someone who thinks its cooland doesnt know what are buying. Has anyone else on here ever seen one pop up in a big chain store like that?

Yes, I have seen a similar one here in the Virginia Beach Guitar Center. Fact is, I was there the day they took it in. They allowed a $300.00 credit towards merchandise  for it,  iirc. They'll prolly sell the one you've spoken of for around $800.00.

Danny
I am a builder. If you see me running - get out of the building

Offline axg20202

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:54:22 AM »
I saw an average condition Mark II stage in a well-known music shop here in London (in the famous Tin Pan alley) a year or two ago that had a price tag of £1000 ($2000)!! No legs, braces or sustain pedal either. I told the bloke behind the counter that the price was a total joke and he shrugged at me and said "yeah, I know, but some sucker will buy it at that price before the week is out". He was right.

A fool and his money are easily parted. I bet the guitar shop acquired it p/ex for next to nothing as well, thereby ripping off the previous owner too, so it seems a fool and his Rhodes are easily parted too.

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:38:29 AM »
Then you have the other side of the coin. In the days JUST before I heard of Ebay, I STUPIDLY sold a near mint 1976-no, make that mint, stage 73 locally for $450. The guy bitched about the price too.(Because he didn't like the way the tone was set up,an easy fix)  I told him if he didnt want it, I'd sell it to someone else.I should have taken it back and waited a couple of more years...or just kept it....That was the best Rhodes I ever had.

How much did I pay for it?

$0.

Yep, it was GIVEN to me....I'm still kicking myself...
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »
places like guitar center mark their stuff up a good deal.  In fact, you can negotiate prices at guitar center much like a garage sale.  They have what's referred to as a "soft minimum" which is the lowest a sales rep can go down to without manager's approval.  I buy enough stuff there :).  

Anyhow, you could probably get it for under $1000, but it still wouldn't be worth it.  Somebody will buy it though.  Better deals on ebay and craigslist.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline Clavier

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 12:51:01 AM »
I must be lucky then. I bought mine for $600 at the local GC, an early 76 suitcase eighty eight that had only been played (or even set up!) a handful of times. I 'd be surprised, but they also sold me a new Motif for $500.  :shock:
Keys: Rhodes Mk1 Suitcase, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Hammond RT-2

Amplification: Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »
That certainly was a deal from GC.  But may also mean they took it in on trade for like $200.   :shock:
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet