Low output and tine failing to resonate on MK 2

Started by absent, March 14, 2008, 10:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

absent

Hi folks;

I am rebuilding a Mk 2. I can't seem to get one of the high tines dialed in. I have moved it to different spots to check it with working and properly adjusted hammers and dampers. I have learned to adjust pickups aafter changing seven of them, although I have yet to evenly voice the thing. But this tine just goes "Clunk" with no resonance at all.  I have held the damper away from the tine completely, and the hammer doesn't seem to stop on or mute the tine, or slap back onto and mute it (escapement?).
I'm stumped. I have sucessfully dialed in most of the piano, although I have had to start over a few times. It's not rocket science to work on these guys, and I love it.
It's certainly easier to deal with than my Farfisas. *sigh*. I am getting ready to maybe sell it and find another to restore, although I should wait until we see what's up with Major Key.

...And it has mysteriously low output through my Twin. We've been using it with an ART Tube MP, but this not the right solution for this problem, and I've heard it can be dangerous.
The internal cable appears to have never been tampered with. I have been considering changing the output cap on the pot,and I should at least change the cable temporarily.
Any sugestions on what might cause this?
his piano is in great shape physically, it has new hammers and grommets, and works wonderfully except for this tine in the last octave or so.
I can be reached at absent@shrinelabs.com, and am willing to discuss this situation over the phone.
Help!
My roommate, a fellow Hawkwind fan aware of Wilhelm Reich, frequently jokes that I left the "Organ Accumulator" turned on.
I am on my 3d Rhodes (a 1980 MK II Stage 73), which I am restoring to sell. I am about to inherit (sadly) a restored Wurli of unknown origin. My house is awash with Hammond Spinets (and an H series console), 4 Farfisa items in various stages of disrepair, and I sold the remains of my Vox Super-Continental to get my working Yamaha dual-manual combo organ. I have from 2-3 Moogs, depending on what you call a Moog.
My girlfreind says I am like a cat lady, but with keyboards. The punchline: I am a guitarist.

Ben Bove

First, to make sure it's not the hammer/escapement issue causing problem, hold down the pedal and give a very short staccato tap to the key.  This will make sure the hammer bounces off and you're not holding the key down up against the tine.  

As long as you don't see any tonebars colliding with eachother, you'll want to make sure the tine is really bolted well to the tonebar.  You'll need to unscrew the whole tonebar unit to tighten very well.

while it's out, do make sure they're new grommets.

After reinstalling if it's still thunking, it's probably the tine.  Remove 2 neighboring tonebar assemblies and switch tines to see if a known resonating tine works on the "bad" assembly.

Does the tine appear a great deal shorter or longer than its neighbors, and the pickup is adjusted either farther back or closer to compensate?  If an improper tine length was used as a replacement, the hammer tip might be hitting too far up the shaft.  But this would have to be a big noticeable difference.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet