News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Clavia Nord Discussion

Started by funkallero409, June 27, 2008, 11:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funkallero409

I am really confused at the moment as im out to get the closest reproduction of the fender rhodes.

I am on way to think about the Nord stage compact/Nord Electro 2 or the Nord Stage... any advice on which would be the best thing which comes closest to the fender rhodes??

Cheers matt

The Duke Of Prunes

I own a Clavia Nord Electro 2.

When I first got it, I never played a Fender Rhodes so I didn't know how a Fender Rhodes felt or really sounded. So at that time I really liked the Nord Electro.

But once I played a single note on a real Fender Rhodes I knew I could never play the Nord the same way again. I still use the Nord for the Clavinet sounds and sometimes the Organ sounds.

I might use my Nord for rehearsal if I don't want to carry my Rhodes but if I'm playing a show I would much prefer the real thing.

It all depends on what you are using it for. I think the Nord Stage might be better because of the weighted keys. The Nord Electro has the "waterfall" keys and it doesn't feel right for me when playing a Rhodes.

If all you want is the Rhodes sound I wouldn't get it. I'd get a real Rhodes. But if you really want an emulated Rhodes sound, I think it's the best. I haven't played many other ones though. Some people can get a good sound out of the Nord but nothing beats the real thing.

Quatschmacher

The samples on the the Stage are better than those of the Electro as they include key-off samples too. A definite plus for the Electro (which I own) is that it has a 1975 Suitcase sample (which the Stage doesn't, bizzarely).

I've tried my Electro and a Mark I Rhodes side-by-side through the same amp. In the lower register there was little to tell between them. However in the midrange (the section of the piano you'd probably be playing most of the time) the Rhodes was superior - so much more depth and richness in the tone.

I guess it depends what you need it for. In a band mix a Nord can be hard to tell apart from a real Rhodes (from an audience perspective), especially when using effects. Also you never have to tune or adjust the Nord. And it's very portable. Depending on the controller keyboard you're using, the feel can be quite different. I have the rack version of the Electro which means I have the freedom to choose a keyboard with good action to go with it. I wasn't fond of the action on the Nord Stage as it is a compromise between piano and organ action (the keyboard versions of the Electro are even more organ-feeling).

As the previous poster said, if you only want to use the Rhodes sounds you might as well get a Rhodes. I agree with that; I'm mainly using the Rhodes patches on the Electro (with a bit of Clav and Wurli, but I almost never use the Hammond clone, which is great, but I'm not really into it). I'm on the lookout for a Rhodes now (but will still hang onto the Nord if finances allow, though I may have to use it in trade towards a Rhodes).

I

Quatschmacher

Forgot to mention. I recently saw a Nord Electro rack for £375 (which is quite a bit cheaper than they normally go for used). There's a chance it may still be available, if you want the details, drop me a PM).

jim

i had an electro2 for a while and never did one gig where i got my groove on. it felt good to sell it and leave all that digital behind.

tomnardozza

i agree with jim....i had a nord and as good as it sounded......i still carried the heavy ass rhodes everywhere! it just doesn't feel the same (even though 99 to 100% of people wouldn't know the difference...or even care!!)  it just wasn't right for me
"What's in a name? that which we call a rhodes
     By any other name would smell as sweet......"

Quatschmacher

funkallero409, I sent you a PM.

martin

i get on the bus with my nord stage compact........
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

Quatschmacher

Funkarello,

if you've got the cash, you might want to check out the Scarbee software-based Rhodes samples. These are much bigger samples than the Clavia ones and they sound amazing. Check it out here: http://scarbee.com/products/cep/

You'll need to have/buy a really top end PC or Mac to run it, but if you can afford it then this seems to be the best reproduction out there.