News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

The "Miracle Mod" on hybrid wood hammers Pre-1978

Started by Ben Bove, October 28, 2008, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Bove

You wouldn't have to pull the piano from the case if you didn't want to.  You could remove the name rail that goes across the keys, pull the keys out in sections.  Test a couple keys with bump mod positions and then reinstall them just to make sure it feels great before doing all the keys.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

ppeterso2

Thanks for the responses! I think I can do this ...lol! I've been reading various posts about removing the felts (they're on my keys; not hammers).  I think that may be the main challenge for me.

Have to do something as I've find myself using the Hammond more and I used to find myself doing most things on the Rhodes before I bought this particular one.

Ben Bove

If you've got a 1975, the glue for the key felts is taken down pretty well by acetone.  A quick run to home depot etc., you don't need a lot at all.  Just put in a shallow tray of some kind like a disposable tupperware container, dip the back of the keys (felts) into the acetone, give it a few and remove.  Make sure there's a little ventilation for you, and make sure not to get acetone on the key caps in the front.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

voltergeist

I don't know how common this is, but on my early '75 the glue on the pedestal felts dissolved with acetone, but the glue on the other felts on the keys did not respond to acetone at all.  I ended up having to steam those out.   
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

ppeterso2

I really appreciate yall--wife likes this alternative to me buying another Rhodes Suitcase.::lol
Plus this one has the real smooth keys but wooden hammers

I surely hope acetone works on mine! I notice the MM kit has a bottle for saturating the felts--why would I need to saturate the felts?

ppeterso2

Weekend yielded some good Miracle Mod work!  I have the 20 highest keys left and the difference is unbelievable--feels more like a piano should! I setup 3 adjacent keys to find the best location (glad I did, one location (all the way front)  didn't work at all!  Also I had to find more super glue--long story but it involved shooting some glue up in the air and across the room

Different piano for sure--keeper! Love the mod

ImNotDedYet

Quote from: ppeterso2 on April 19, 2015, 07:54:46 PM
Weekend yielded some good Miracle Mod work!  I have the 20 highest keys left and the difference is unbelievable--feels more like a piano should! I setup 3 adjacent keys to find the best location (glad I did, one location (all the way front)  didn't work at all!  Also I had to find more super glue--long story but it involved shooting some glue up and actions the room

Different piano for sure--keeper! Love the mod

I actually considered beginning this this weekend, but instead I worked on tinkering with the voicing a bit.  I never minded the action on my baby until I started taking lessons and playing my digital piano, then going back to the Rhodes.  But my Rhodes action isn't as bad as many - but it sure feels like a sponge after playing a digital with good, weighted keys and action.

ppeterso2

I can understand that--my Hammond A105 (C3 w speakers and reverb) is, of course, an organ and has no weight on the keys--you can rapid fire on one key with one finger lol
But this 3rd Rhodes and my first with wooden hybrid hammers.  It sounded and barked so good I was mesmerized but the more I played it, a couple things irritated me:
-the flat mushy feel compared to the others I once had--got worse as my felts hardened over time; and
-I had the suitcase bottom and preamp from a 1977 model and installed it years ago on this early-1975 AND can't stand the sound of the preamp compared to the Peterson ones I've played (I can't get the bass and treble to sculpt the sound I want and no matter where I put the intensity on the tremolo, I don't like it). It is louder though lol
I see a 4 pin set up in my future (I have the original rail for it lol)!

voltergeist

Quote from: voltergeist on April 08, 2015, 03:27:32 PM
I don't know how common this is, but on my early '75 the glue on the pedestal felts dissolved with acetone, but the glue on the other felts on the keys did not respond to acetone at all.  I ended up having to steam those out.   

If anyone encounters felts that don't respond to acetone, the process for steaming out felts is actually pretty easy.  Lay a damp rag over the felts of a group of keys, then run a hot iron (a regular household iron) over the rag on top of the felts.  This creates steam, and the adhesive should release and allow easy removal of the felts.  If the felts are not coming out easily, steam them again.  Remove the leftover adhesive with an exacto knife while the glue is still soft from the steam. 
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

ppeterso2

Quote from: voltergeist on April 20, 2015, 09:49:22 AM
Quote from: voltergeist on April 08, 2015, 03:27:32 PM

If anyone encounters felts that don't respond to acetone, the process for steaming out felts is actually pretty easy.  Lay a damp rag over the felts of a group of keys, then run a hot iron (a regular household iron) over the rag on top of the felts.  This creates steam, and the adhesive should release and allow easy removal of the felts.  If the felts are not coming out easily, steam them again.  Remove the leftover adhesive with an exacto knife while the glue is still soft from the steam.

Great tip because I have 20 to go!
But, 10 seconds in Kleeer Acetone and the flew right off to bare wood with a large flat blade screwdriver.  But I did note that mine had really gotten stiff over the years.  The looked untouched, but tough nonetheless.

voltergeist

Great tip because I have 20 to go!
But, 10 seconds in Kleeer Acetone and the flew right off to bare wood with a large flat blade screwdriver.  But I did note that mine had really gotten stiff over the years.  The looked untouched, but tough nonetheless.
[/quote]

Just to be clear, steaming will only work if the adhesive is water-based.  Just like adhesive that doesn't respond to acetone will respond to steam, adhesive that responds to acetone will not respond to steam.  So, it's one or the other.

Bill33

Hi everybody,

On my 77's rhodes piano I have flat pedestals. I don't know if I've to place bumps and new red felts from the Miracle Mod on pedestals and removing the originals felts on hammers (white felts on hammer cams), or if I've to leave these original felts and just put bumps on each key pedestal...

Thanks in advance !
Bill

Student Rhodes

Either way would work, though I think most people decide to take the felt off the hammers and put the bump and felt on the pedestal.  I believe that was the factory solution to the sluggish action on the 76-77 pianos.

Bill33

I understand, thanks !

I made this modification on some pedestals, but when I place hammers on the rail to test the ideal position for the bump (and also on some keys that have their modification complete), I hear a "click" that seems to come from the damper arm bumping against the hammer... I don't know if it's normal, but I don't think so...

EvanBingham

After this is installed, should I put some sort of teflon powder or other dry lubricant between the felt and plastic?

Student Rhodes

The consensus seems to be do NOT put Teflon powder in the pedestals.  Over time it builds up in the felt and  apparently acts as an abrasive on the back of the hammer cam, which causes wear, and in the end an even more sluggish action.