News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Legs Hard to Screw In - Mk I Stage

Started by MartyC, November 29, 2008, 10:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyC

I'm thinking of bidding on a Fender Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Rhodes-Stage-73-Piano-Keyboard_W0QQitemZ120339438393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboard_MIDI_Accessories?hash=item120339438393&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

(Item number: 120339438393).  The photos aren't very good, but I talked to the person who's selling it and learned this:

- Tolex is in pretty good shape (no big tears or pieces missing)
- Not much rust on the hardware
-Didn't know anything about the keys, action, electronics, etc.
- It was used in a high school and hasn't been used for 5+ years.
- "The legs were hard to screw in."  Is this likely to be rust on the legs or in the flanges?  She said she could get 3 of legs to screw into the flanges, but the fourth wouldn't go.  I asked if it looked like the flange was pushed into the wood, and the answer was maybe.

Is it common for the leg mount flanges to get damaged?  If there is damage to the wood where the flange is mounted, is it something that can be easily repaired?

I'm interested in the piano cause it's a Fender Mark 1 (don't know the year) and because it's only a 3 hour drive from where I live in the middlie of Kansas.  No techs in the area that I'm aware of, so I'll be doing repairs myself.

I realize this is sketchy information, but thanks for any help you can provide.  This site has been great so far, and I wouldn't even be thinking of getting a Rhodes if it wasn't for the knowledge and help available here.

Marty

Rob A

Hey howdy from the east coast of Kansas.

The likeliest leg issue is that the threaded part a the top is spinning freely. the spot welds where it joins to the tubing are pretty sketchy. That's a common failure point. That may be why it's hard to get a leg in, but consider that speculation.

If the flange is messed up in the case, that's a harder fix, but I've never run into that. Worst case you put the thing on a stand while you sort things out.

DIY tech/repair shouldn't be too big a problem, you have us to help.

MartyC

Hi Rob,

Nice to meet you, and thanks for your thoughts on the legs.  I guess I jumped to the conclusion that the flange would be damaged, and I'm relieved to know the more likely scenario is a broken spot weld on the leg....seems much easier to fix,

The eBay auction ends Monday at noon, so I'll see how it goes.  If I get the piano, I'm sure I'll be coming to you for more help!  Thanks again,

Marty

sean

I've seen a lot of ugly welding jobs on the legs.

I have fixed the loose leg threads with a simpler method that I think looks much more tidy.

After cleaning out the sloppy or broken weld with a file and sandpaper, I put the leg in a vise, and then clamp the threaded insert so that it is as tight as it will go into the top end of the leg.  Then I drill a 5/32" hole near the top of the leg into the threaded insert.  (Don't go all the way through the leg.)

Then I run a #8-32 SS top-quality machine screw into the hole.  Done.

(I don't remember if I even bothered to tap the hole first.  The threads hold well enough, and I got a half-inch screw to pull all the way in before it mashed all the threads.)

If you file all the gunk off first, and rotate the insert until it fits the leg snugly, and you clamped it together tight while you drilled; then when you are done, you will have a perfectly good leg.  

The protruding screw head looks a lot cleaner than the welded repairs I have seen.

keysandslots

Mine have always been a bit hard to screw in, even when it was new.  The threads are a bit rough I suppose but eventually it goes together.

Randy
Some of my stuff can be checked out at tune and tune and CD and even tune

Ben Bove

Yes it does depend.  The legs by nature are tough to get in, in general.  you have to have the leg at the right angle for the thread to catch in the flange.

However, being that she got the other 3 in, I would assume leg or flange needs work.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet