Author Topic: sustain pedal installation  (Read 7765 times)

Offline muzik87

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
sustain pedal installation
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »
hey!

With the sustain pedal I received not too long ago, I seem to have a problem, that maybe some of you may be able to help.  I have a 1976 rhodes (as per stamped on the rail.)  The issue is that I find it very hard to install the pedal, there seems to be a "sweet spot" (very difficult to find) that the whole piano will be able to sustain.  And even then, most of the time it seems like the sustain pedal kind of sticks and jams, but still able to use it, making it more difficult and resulting in unwanted noises.

Is there anything I should check or try to fix?  Right now the way I can install the arm, it goes on the big circular felt under and pushes that.  I would like to be able to fix that since when bringing to gigs or somewhere else, it is hard to install the setup quickly :).

Thanks!

Offline keysandslots

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:48:21 AM »
Is this a stage piano or a suitcase?  I have a 1974 stage 88, and I'm not sure if the 1976 pianos use a similar mechanism but here's what I did.

First, make sure the pedal is sitting on a floor and not carpet (if this is a stage piano).  Then, remove the top and make sure the damper release bar (that actually pushes the dampers down) is attached to both sides of the harp support blocks (both pins are attached properly).  You might also want to remove the pins and clean and lube them while you have the thing open.  Be careful when you put the pins back in and tighten the locking screws, it's easy to strip the threads in the damper release bar.

The last step is where I did something a bit different.  I got tired of the rod sliding around on the underside of the damper release bar so I epoxied a washer to the underside of the bar, centred around the spot where the rod would contact the bar.  This keeps the rod from slipping around.

Randy
Some of my stuff can be checked out at tune and tune and CD and even tune

Offline sean

• Mark III EK-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:52:56 PM »
If you have a suitcase piano top, or a piano that doesn't have the sustain guide cup or a dimple in the damper pushrod (the wooden dowel that the sustain pedal rod pushes on), you can use the sophisticated solution shown in the picture below:

If your Suitcase piano is missing the plastic grommet in the hole where the pushrod goes, you can use a 7/8" wooden dowel.  If the glue is still holding that grommet in place, you should use a 3/4" dowel.

Make the dowel three inches long, and drill a 1/4" hole two inches deep in one end.  It will slip onto your sustain rod without much fuss, and it will stay there securely... maybe too securely.

You should know that this brilliant design should be considered "PAAF" - "Patent Almost Applied For."  You can make this little part out of any cheap little pine or poplar available at your local hardware store, but you get much better tone and sustain if you make it with lumber cut from the heartwood from a Norfolk Island Pine overlooking the white pointers on Manly Beach.

Offline keysandslots

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »
Do all Rhodes pianos come with the wooden dowel piece?  My stage piano did not, and I could never figure out why someone at Rhodes would think a metal rod against a metal damper rail would work well.

Randy

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
Quote from: "sean"
You can make this little part out of any cheap little pine or poplar available at your local hardware store, but you get much better tone and sustain if you make it with lumber cut from the heartwood from a Norfolk Island Pine overlooking the white pointers on Manly Beach.

Actually the pine harvested in the early 1970s sounds far superior to anything harvested today.

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »
Quote from: "keysandslots"
Do all Rhodes pianos come with the wooden dowel piece?  My stage piano did not, and I could never figure out why someone at Rhodes would think a metal rod against a metal damper rail would work well.

Randy

Yes. It's parts # 32-35 here:
http://www.fenderrhodes.com/org/manual/fig2-1.gif

Did you check to see if yours was floating around in the case? They break free sometimes.

Offline muzik87

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »
haha i see now... i just have an empty hole and the metal guide is pushing directly on the felt (or something that feels similar to touch :)).  I may try to check those pins too inside the rhodes... By the way, it is a stage rhodes 1976 mkI.

Offline Clavier

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
Quote from: "Rob A"
You can make this little part out of any cheap little pine or poplar available at your local hardware store, but you get much better tone and sustain if you make it with lumber cut from the heartwood from a Norfolk Island Pine overlooking the white pointers on Manly Beach.

Actually the pine harvested in the early 1970s sounds far superior to anything harvested today.

So True!

I A/B'ed them once. The new ones made the tone sound thin and brittle, whereas the   vintage ones sounded fat and creamy.  :D
Keys: Rhodes Mk1 Suitcase, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Hammond RT-2

Amplification: Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Offline Jordy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »
Quote from: "Rob A"

hahaha, hilarious
'71 Stage 73  >>  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Offline keysandslots

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
Wow, I've had this thing since 1974 and only now found it there's a part missing.  It has worked fine all this time with the washer glued to the underside so I might as well stick with that.

Randy