News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Slipping legs on Rhodes MK I?

Started by jack, January 26, 2009, 12:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

I recently bought a Rhodes MK I to fix up and it came with a complete set of legs in pretty nice condition.  The only problem is that the front legs aren't secure.

Each leg is two parts, the outer leg and the inner leg with the foot.  I've looked but can't find this info anywhere: what parts are on the inside that secure the tightness?

With the legs I got one of these ("frontleg ring"):
http://www.ep-service.nl/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=308&category_id=49&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

and two of these ("frontleg plate"):
http://www.ep-service.nl/joomla/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=358&category_id=49&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I think these are probably the parts I need — meaning I have enough for at least one leg — but how do I apply them?  I've tried inserting them two or three different ways, but when I've assembled the leg and lean my body weight on it, it isn't secure.

Secondly, if these *are* the parts I need, are there any Rhodes suppliers in the US that carry them?

Thoughts?  Help?

Jack

Mark II

jack, u need 3 leg plates and one frontleg ring for each front leg.
that makes 2 rings and 6 plates totall.
the 3 plates are hold by the outer leg and the frontleg ring.

check this site for part suppliers in the US:
http://www.fenderrhodes.com/service/parts.php

kind regards
Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

jack

Mark,

Thanks for your feedback on this!  That's exactly the scoop I was looking for.

Problem is that I'm aware of all the companies that sell Rhodes parts domestically, and none of them offer these two pieces as part of their regular inventory.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to e-mail them each individually and ask.

That said, if anybody reading this post has any of these rings or plates hanging around, consider me interested.

Jack

Spaceduck

Hey jack, Mark II is absolutely correct; each tightening mechanism needs 3 plates and 1 ring. BUT I've found, in a pinch, you can get by with 2 plates and 1 ring if you position it just right.

Hard to describe, but I'll try... normally your 3 plates will be spaced equally, about 120° apart. The idea is to sandwich the leg with equal force from all directions.

Well, if you can manage to get 2 plates 180° apart, that will also do the trick. It might be difficult to set because those lil buggers like to slide around as you're tightening them into place. But it's possible.

One of my legs had only 1 plate, so I borrowed 1 from the other leg. So now each leg has 2 plates, and they hold up just fine. I wouldn't use my piano as a diving board like Billy Joel or nuthin, but it's strong enough to hold its own weight + a heavy Kurzweil K1000 on top.

As a last resort, give it a shot. Good luck!

dnarkosis

I think you can substitute vinyl rings purchased at a well-stocked hardware store for at least one if not both of the rings. I did that for my Stage 54, but because I use a separate stand for it rather than the original legs, I forget now just how I did it. Let me have a look this weekend. If I have remembered correctly, I will post a pic.
1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54

dnarkosis

I bought the beveled white nylon sleeves (one sleeve replaces the two front-leg plates) at an Ace Hardware store.
I use rubber feet because they're easier on hardwood floors.

1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54