Author Topic: Advice on buying a Rhodes 73... Help  (Read 4353 times)

sss

Advice on buying a Rhodes 73... Help
« on: April 22, 2004, 09:43:51 PM »
I have the chance to buy a Rhodes 73 for $250. It's out of tune, missing the front side & middle logo, sustain rod (got the pedal), there's some wax on the keys, some keys are louder than others (needs maintenance) and the case (the outer case w/the latches) has been carved up and would need replacing.

Still a deal?

I just don't want to get in over my head on repair costs. I'm pretty handy and like maintaining my own gear, so I'm not afraid to learn the ins & outs, I just don't want to buy this and regret it because I didn't hold out for one in better shape.

What are the red-flag warning signs that I should look for when I decide to buy it? Is there anything you would caution me about?

Thanks.

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
Advice on buying a Rhodes 73... Help
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 12:43:13 PM »
If you're willing to put a little time into getting the piano back in shape, then it's a good deal (I picked up a Stage 73 in about the same condition for $350 a couple of years ago).  The tuning and volume adjustments are easy enough to do yourself, and you can get a new pushrod for the sustain pedal from places like Major Key and Speakeasy Vintage Music.  As for the carved up case, is it just the removable lid that's damaged?
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe