How much is my vintage Fender Rhodes piano worth?

Started by james, March 25, 2005, 03:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

There's no straight answer to this question. It really depends on whether you want to rip off a desperate musician or give it to them for a fair price. At one time the Rhodes was so despised that you could get one for $50, or even for free. These days a fair price is more like $500 to $750, depending on the condition of the piano. For $500 you should be getting a Rhodes where all of the keys play, and if it's a Suitcase, the amp should be included and functional. A piano in "living room" condition (i.e. one that plays well and has no visible road damage) may be worth $1000 or more. Prices are generally the same in Euros.

Things to consider:

* If it is a Stage model, does it have the legs, sustain pedal and push rod? These parts are commonly missing from "well-loved" Rhodes pianos and are somewhat expensive to replace.

* If it is a Suitcase model, does it have the original amplifier, and does the amp still work? Does the preamp work? And most importantly, does it have the 4- or 5-pin cable that connects the piano to the amp? That strange cable is the most important part of the deal.

* Has it been used on the road, or is it a living room piano? Pianos that have been toured tend to be in need of some loving care, and they will probably need replacement parts. Some parts may be hard to find; others may be expensive to replace. Make sure you don't have to buy an entire piano's worth of parts to salvage it!

* Do any spare parts or replacement tines come with it? If so, fresh tines or other parts could really sweeten the deal.

Other things that can make a Rhodes more valuable are third-party enhancements like Dyno-My-Piano modifications, an aftermarket preamp, or a MIDI retrofit. These uncommon features can add hundreds of dollars to the piano's asking price.
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

robertgraff

I'd just like to add that, in the UK, expect to pay a lot more...

Most rhodes I've seen for sale have been at least £800 ($1,600), and I have to admit I paid a little more than that for my Stage Mk 1.

1979 Fender Rhodes Stage 73 Mk1 -- Behringer DD400 -- Behringer UT100 -- eight fingers -- two thumbs

blondieswuk

hi does anyone have a piano bass for about $1000,im 14 years old in the uk looking for a good deal on a piano bass and a vox continental,thought i would try here,obviously shipping costs covered ect...looking for something in tune mechanicly good...complete..looking to be used to reproduce the sound of the doors.....can anyone help me?...im new to the site so any help and info of anykind would be great...xchristiex
dont be fooled by my age...im a serious player looking to be taken seriously===please

rtcp

Quote from: "james"
* If it is a Stage model, does it have the legs, sustain pedal and push rod? These parts are commonly missing from "well-loved" Rhodes pianos and are somewhat expensive to replace.
Firstly, I'd like to apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I'm looking at buying a Mark I 73 Stage, and I would like to make sure all the parts are there.  So does it have the same parts as the Mark II on the User Guides page?

That is:
Two front legs
Two rear legs
Two rear leg braces
One Sustain Rod
One leg brace knob
Sustain pedal

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob A