Author Topic: What amp should I use with my Stage Piano?  (Read 48399 times)

Offline zoooombiex

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: What amp should I use with my Stage Piano?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »
another thought regarding guitar amps & speakers is that they can struggle with the low end.  the coloration from the amp is one thing, but the speakers are a separate part of the equation.

amps like bassmans (my preference) give a nice coloration to the sound.  they give you a smooth dynamic from clean to a nice grind.

but I did some comparing with the bassman into a variety of guitar speakers and the differences were dramatic.  some didn't have the low end at all, others tried but mushed out, others held together great (EVM12Ls in particular).

that kind of gets back to the PA v. guitar amp dilemma.  there are a lot of ways to navigate the middle ground between the two.  You could go guitar preamp into a powered PA kind of power section.  or you could do a guitar amp into a more full-range PA-type speaker.  or all PA preamp & power amp with pedals for coloration.

Offline leon-

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 04:36:31 AM »
+1 for the bassman. Was going to get a cheaper amp and some pedals but in the end bit the bullet and just got the amp.
Keep an eye out on eBay for deals if youre considering one. They are out there.

Offline Captain Caveman

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 07:39:51 AM »
I'm currently using a Harvard Reverb II (Fender Solid State from early 80s with a 10" speaker).  I'm also using a Swell G-Drive pedal for a little extra hair.  I may have a lead on a fairly inexpensive Musicmaster Bass amp, has anyone tried one of these?

Offline eisenhower

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
The Fender Twin Reverb was used by most Rhodes players in the 1970's, and it is now regarded as the ultimate Rhodes amp. It was also used in the factory as a reference amp for the Rhodes, which meant that the pianos were unintentionally designed to sound best through that particular amp. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the Fender Twin, any guitar or bass amp with 12" speakers should do the job. A tube amp will give you a better sound than a solid-state amp, although (ironically) almost every version of the Suitcase amp was solid-state.  If you're using a keyboard amp or PA, a bass cabinet emulator (that's right, BASS) works well with the Rhodes tone, acts as a preamp and usually gives you the inline effects you need (chorus, tremolo, phase shifter, etc.).

Amplifier designs have progressed since the 1970's, and while the Twin might be considered "the ultimate Rhodes amp", I have heard several that are better than it. There aren't any magically components in that amp, and the design is well documented and imitated. As for tubes v.s. solid state (and v.s. digital), you have to keep in mind most of the arguments are from guitarists who love overdriven tube amps because they produce harmonics that were at one point difficult to replicate with solid state amplifiers, which often had hard clipping which sounds harsh. But for Rhodes, distortion is not as important for most people - if it was they certainly wouldn't want to use a Fender Twin given it is not known for its distorted tone.

Now with modern solid state amplifiers, and especially with modern DSP, tube amps are easily replicated, and surpassed in many ways, tone included. Even some old solid state amps could "beat" the cleans from a Fender tube amp (e.g. the Roland JC 120). Unfortunately people seem to want to cling to old gear.

Offline eisenhower

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
This is a short Fender Rhodes amplification test comparing a Roland KC-350 keyboard amp and a Fender Twin Reverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCNT0lKNjM

The Roland KC-350 is obviously better sounding

Offline LDV

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »
they're not cheap - but I've not heard anything better than a Bassman.

Offline Froggy NR

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 04:12:51 PM »
A friend of mine just brought his Carvin Belair 212 amp at home the other day.
He plays guitar thru it, Gibson SG, Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster.
He told me they tend to be underrated for a long time and though this amp is not really my cup of tea when it comes to its vintage looking,
I never heard such a beautiful rhodes sound than thru this amp. This thing gots creamy highs, lush mids and powerful basses. Really dig it.

Offline Amptech

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 08:58:14 PM »
Well, I have a bunch of stuff that could be used, I have Twins, I have Bassmans, I have Marshall Majors, but I think I put together something that might be a bit off the reservation for the purists, but I think it'll be fine..  Let see what you guys think..  It's a Stage 73 ( 1974 ) and I want to go direct out to an Alembic F2B preamp, to a McIntosh MC2300, to 2 Hardtrucker cabinets, one with a JBL D140, and the other with 2 JBL D120's and an 075 bullet horn.  What do you guys think??