News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

What amp should I use with my Stage Piano?

Started by james, March 25, 2005, 03:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

The Fender Twin Reverb was used by most Rhodes players in the 1970's, and it is now regarded as the ultimate Rhodes amp. It was also used in the factory as a reference amp for the Rhodes, which meant that the pianos were unintentionally designed to sound best through that particular amp. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the Fender Twin, any guitar or bass amp with 12" speakers should do the job. A tube amp will give you a better sound than a solid-state amp, although (ironically) almost every version of the Suitcase amp was solid-state.  If you're using a keyboard amp or PA, a bass cabinet emulator (that's right, BASS) works well with the Rhodes tone, acts as a preamp and usually gives you the inline effects you need (chorus, tremolo, phase shifter, etc.).
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

jaktron

The twin is cool, but if you want a closer sound to the suitcase, including that stereo pan then get a Roland Jazz Chorus, any model. The lush chorus is very nice and spreads out the timbre in a way that is not too dissimilar to the panning of the suitcase and the solid state amp gives more definition to the sound. AER amps are good too and light. If you want to make your stage into a suitcase there is a replica Rhodes preamp with stereo pan made by somebody (do a google search). Feed this to a pair of JBL powered P.A. speakers, and its show time!!! use a guitar tube distortion pedal before the preamp to get the crunch factor. A lexicon multi fx stage wouldn't hurt.
sounds are numbers shapes and colours

adrian480

This is a short Fender Rhodes amplification test comparing a Roland KC-350 keyboard amp and a Fender Twin Reverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCNT0lKNjM
Fender Rhodes stage 1972
Fender Jazz bass 1972

dano

Using a Stage 73 mark 1, how do you get a stereo output? (considering it has one output). Is the output stereo?
ddd

www.myspace.com/danyldaniel

Spookyman

Simply add a guitar effect in Stereo. Like a stereo chorus, a stereo Tremolo, etc...

Mono IN and Stereo OUT  :wink:
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 1973

keysandslots

That's what  I use, a Boss mono in stereo out chorus.  The Rhodes goes into a Tube MP right off the harp, and then into the chorus.  

There's not much use going stereo with a Rhodes unless there's something actually generating a stereo effect, like a chorus or ping pong tremolo or something like that.

If you go the chorus route, don't forget to pan the two channels left and right.  For some reason that I'm not sure of, the effect seems to work better if I do not pan completely left and right.  9:00 and 3:00 seems to be about right.

Randy
Some of my stuff can be checked out at tune and tune and CD and even tune

dano

Right! Just what i was thinking;but im still demoing (online) different guitar effects pedals. Any reccommendations on a stereo vibrato/tremolo/ping pong unit that costs no more than 200 usd?
ddd

dano

I'm looking at the Boss TR-2, and Line 6 Tap Tremolo units. Any reviews/comments on those, would they be great for what im looking for?
ddd

Spookyman

Give a look to this :

Under 100$ (new) and really good sounding  :wink:

I have one since a few months, and it's really a perfect analog pedal for everyone looking for a stereo Auto Pan. But you can use it as a mono tremolo too. (and made in USA...)

Edit : Sorry for the picture size  :?
Fender Rhodes Stage 1971
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 1973

jim

John Brevik

Hello, all,

Since you're posting about stereo effects, I thought I might try this question in this forum -- sorry if you've read it elsewhere.

This is really just a request for advice/opinions -- my experience with amplification over the last 15 years has been a Leslie and a Suitcase amp.

I now have a Stage piano with the Suitcase-style preamp, and I'd like to put together a simple, fairly portable, and not-too-expensive stereo rig to preserve the wonderful tremolo. It doesn't have to be very powerful at all, since I generally play small spaces. Anybody doing something similar? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
John Brevik

1966(?) Student 73
Hammond A100 chop/Leslie 21H 2-speed

tnelson

Two small PA speaker enclosures plus a powered stereo mixer or a mixer that has separate amps for "monitor" and "speakers." Run your two output channels from the preamp into two mixer inputs. If it has monitor/speaker paths, run input-1 to monitor and input-2 to speaker. Your two speaker enclosures are connected one to monitor output and the other to speaker output.  If it has a stereo path, pan one input full into each channel (L/R), and each channel to one speaker. You can enhance the stereo effects by placing your speaker enclosures on opposite sides of the stage.  However, even a small space at low volume can be reflective and boomy enough to make it difficult to hear yourself play through the PA speakers  if they're too distant from you, and you may want to adjust your stereo ping-pong and speaker placement to deal with cancellation/reinforcement of reflections.

John Brevik

Thanks for the insights. I am definitely looking for a setup like that, but having no familiarity with the various makes and models, I was hoping for a few specific suggestions as a starting point.

Best,

John
John Brevik

1966(?) Student 73
Hammond A100 chop/Leslie 21H 2-speed

BJT3

May be a bit of overkill if your playing mostly smaller venues, but the Mackie SRM 450's sound great. They make them so they can lay on their side like a monitor, or mounted to a stand for mains. You could also look into some keyboard amps like the Roland KC series.
1978 Mark I Stage Piano 88
1970 Wurlitzer 200
Hohner D6 Clavinet
1961 Hammond A100 Organ
1977 Fender Twin Reverb (Blackfaced)

dano

I will look into this product; as im travelling to the u.s. this weekend.
...and thats a good size pic; thanks!
ddd

Rhodesman

I'm looking at a Hot Rod Deville, should I go 4 10 or 2 12?  What would the differences be? Thanks :)
76 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage 73=> Vox wah=>Morley Volume Pedal=> Arion Stereo Phaser => Vox AD100VT

Rhodesman

or possibly just go for a vintage twin reverb?
76 Rhodes Mark 1 Stage 73=> Vox wah=>Morley Volume Pedal=> Arion Stereo Phaser => Vox AD100VT

Jordy

Quote from: "Rhodesman"I'm looking at a Hot Rod Deville, should I go 4 10 or 2 12?  What would the differences be? Thanks :)

I think 2x12 is better for if your audience is on the same height as you are, and 4x10 is better if you play on a stage that's higher than your audience. (4x10: the vertical soundfield may be bigger)
'71 Stage 73  >>  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

andi85

So you bring two amps to every gig and look which one is best for that night? ;)
Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!

Jordy

Quote from: "andi85"So you bring two amps to every gig and look which one is best for that night? ;)

No, you probably know if your on a stage that's higher than your audience. If you play mostly in little clubs without a stage (higher than your audience) you should go for 2x12 for bigger stages go for 4x12.

Or just mic it  :wink:

Mark II

or just use a amp stand or an empty botle case.

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

Jordy

Quote from: "Mark II"or just use a amp stand or an empty botle case.

Mark II

Exactly!  :) It has so much character if you do that.  :D

Rob A

You have to empty the bottles yourself. I find a fresh, full case for every gig works the best.

Jordy

Quote from: "Rob A"You have to empty the bottles yourself. I find a fresh, full case for every gig works the best.

Man, you really get the BEST of the BEST info on this forum.
Every amptech has got to know that sort of facts.

Mark II

Quote from: "Jordy"
Quote from: "Mark II"or just use a amp stand or an empty bottle case.

Mark II

well, I dont get your point.
yes, I do drink beer, but not a hole case. :D
and I mask the empty case with a back cloth, smooths your eyes and brings the loudspeaker on ear level.

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

Jordy

Quote from: "Mark II"

Mark II

well, I dont get your point.
yes, I do drink beer, but not a hole case. :D
and I mask the empty case with a back cloth, smooths your eyes and brings the loudspeaker on ear level.

Mark II

No, drinkin' a lot of beer isn't cool.
It justs looks vintage (the amp on a couple of empty-cases), gives me the kind of feeling when I look at Woodstock-videos :D

Jordy

Quote from: Jordy
Quote from: Mark II

No, drinkin' a lot of beer isn't cool.

Except when others drink a lot, than you can laugh at them.  :D

martin

i have a traynor ygl3a which is like a twin but with el84 out put valves insteaed of 6L6's. i am going to have them changed to 6L6's to give it a twin sound. they are a lot cheaper than twins as they are not that well known.
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

Freddan

I know this isn't a common view, but I do not think tube amps are the ultimate. The Rhodes itself has always ( even since 1965 ) been solid state, and there's somting about guitar-amps and keyboards that never match.
My preference is a bass-rig, powered monitors or even a small mixer/amp pa.
You need something that can amplify the whole range clearly without colouring the sound, and something that doesn't make the sound messy and distorted unless you want it that way.
Just my two cents.

All the best,
Freddan
Frederik "Freddan" Adlers
Rhodes Supersite Lead Historian, Content Provider and Scandinavian Rhodes-Tech since 35 years.
Peacefreak Service Center, Gothenburg Sweden
www.freddan.biz

Rob A

My amp view is quite similar.

Interesting relevant post from another thread:

Quote from: MikePeterson on November 23, 2006, 01:29:23 PM
I got this message privately, but I thought it might be informative to share the answer.

QuoteDo you have any advice for someone who wants to learn, hands on, about what parts of the circuits give certain characteristics to the sound and how to build a preamp or power amp from scratch?

Serious engineers would build a mathematical model, and run a computer simulation. Of course, nobody I know in the music business does it that way.

For example, my old friend Paul Rivera taught himself how to design guitar amps without using any sophisticated analysis at all. He started as a guitarist with a great ear for tone. He also understood electronic circuits on an intuitive, rather than mathematical level.

After many, many hours of experimentation, he was able to develop an intuition for which components, and circuit topologies created a particular tone.

There are two philosophies followed by designers of musical instrumentation amplification:

The "HiFi" philosophy calls for the amplifier to add or remove nothing from the original sound. Among engineers it is sometimes called "a wire with gain". The idea is to increase the voltage of a signal, while reducing the output impedance of the circuit. In the pure case, absolutely no changes are made to the overtone content, or dynamics. Purist circuits do not even have bass, treble or other "tone" controls.

This philosophy tends to be desirable for amplifying something like a grand piano. The sound is assumed to be perfect, the only requirement is to make it louder.

The "guitar amp" philosophy calls for the amplifier to actively contribute to the production of the tone. A good guitar amplifier has several stages, each stage overdriving and distorting in its own unique way. Every component from the tubes to the output transformer to the speakers, adds to the tone.

So...which philosophy is best for the Rhodes?

I don't know for sure, but my intuition says about 80% HiFi and 20% active tone shaping. A committed experimenter could spend many hours discovering the real percentage. We obviously don't want the extreme "heavy metal crunch", but there may be some subtle distortions that are musical.

Then there is the question of the pickups. Each tine excites an individual pickup. Ideally, each pickup would go directly to its own separate amplifier.

That's a lot of amplifiers!

Because of cost, and the state of electronics long ago, the pickups were wired together and fed to a single amplifier. This approach has some downsides. Each pickup produces a very weak signal. This signal then has to push current through all of the other pickups!

Pickup coils are inductors. Inductors pass low frequencies and block high frequencies. The combined wiring of the traditional Rhodes therefore adds inductance, and reduces high frequency output.

With modern intergrated circuits, it might be possible to produce an amp-per-pickup system, but it would still be a lot of wires.

We never built such a system in the lab, and don't know for sure if it would sound any better, but if I was going to try to build the ultimate Rhodes preamp, it is the direction I would go.

So...what should you do?

I am assuming that you already know the basics of electronics. If you don't, you will need to take some classes or read some books to learn enough to get started.

Set up a simple electronics lab. Start playing with components. Listen carefully to the results of each experiment. Take notes. Try to detect patterns.

The goal of a musical instrument engineer is to develop an artistic intuition that relates design decisions to tone. Many have tried, only a few are respected as masters...but that's no reason not to try.

zoooombiex

another thought regarding guitar amps & speakers is that they can struggle with the low end.  the coloration from the amp is one thing, but the speakers are a separate part of the equation.

amps like bassmans (my preference) give a nice coloration to the sound.  they give you a smooth dynamic from clean to a nice grind.

but I did some comparing with the bassman into a variety of guitar speakers and the differences were dramatic.  some didn't have the low end at all, others tried but mushed out, others held together great (EVM12Ls in particular).

that kind of gets back to the PA v. guitar amp dilemma.  there are a lot of ways to navigate the middle ground between the two.  You could go guitar preamp into a powered PA kind of power section.  or you could do a guitar amp into a more full-range PA-type speaker.  or all PA preamp & power amp with pedals for coloration.

leon-

+1 for the bassman. Was going to get a cheaper amp and some pedals but in the end bit the bullet and just got the amp.
Keep an eye out on eBay for deals if youre considering one. They are out there.

Captain Caveman

I'm currently using a Harvard Reverb II (Fender Solid State from early 80s with a 10" speaker).  I'm also using a Swell G-Drive pedal for a little extra hair.  I may have a lead on a fairly inexpensive Musicmaster Bass amp, has anyone tried one of these?

eisenhower

Quote from: james on March 25, 2005, 03:34:13 PM
The Fender Twin Reverb was used by most Rhodes players in the 1970's, and it is now regarded as the ultimate Rhodes amp. It was also used in the factory as a reference amp for the Rhodes, which meant that the pianos were unintentionally designed to sound best through that particular amp. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the Fender Twin, any guitar or bass amp with 12" speakers should do the job. A tube amp will give you a better sound than a solid-state amp, although (ironically) almost every version of the Suitcase amp was solid-state.  If you're using a keyboard amp or PA, a bass cabinet emulator (that's right, BASS) works well with the Rhodes tone, acts as a preamp and usually gives you the inline effects you need (chorus, tremolo, phase shifter, etc.).

Amplifier designs have progressed since the 1970's, and while the Twin might be considered "the ultimate Rhodes amp", I have heard several that are better than it. There aren't any magically components in that amp, and the design is well documented and imitated. As for tubes v.s. solid state (and v.s. digital), you have to keep in mind most of the arguments are from guitarists who love overdriven tube amps because they produce harmonics that were at one point difficult to replicate with solid state amplifiers, which often had hard clipping which sounds harsh. But for Rhodes, distortion is not as important for most people - if it was they certainly wouldn't want to use a Fender Twin given it is not known for its distorted tone.

Now with modern solid state amplifiers, and especially with modern DSP, tube amps are easily replicated, and surpassed in many ways, tone included. Even some old solid state amps could "beat" the cleans from a Fender tube amp (e.g. the Roland JC 120). Unfortunately people seem to want to cling to old gear.

eisenhower

Quote from: adrian480 on March 24, 2007, 06:20:12 PM
This is a short Fender Rhodes amplification test comparing a Roland KC-350 keyboard amp and a Fender Twin Reverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCNT0lKNjM

The Roland KC-350 is obviously better sounding

LDV

they're not cheap - but I've not heard anything better than a Bassman.

Froggy NR

A friend of mine just brought his Carvin Belair 212 amp at home the other day.
He plays guitar thru it, Gibson SG, Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster.
He told me they tend to be underrated for a long time and though this amp is not really my cup of tea when it comes to its vintage looking,
I never heard such a beautiful rhodes sound than thru this amp. This thing gots creamy highs, lush mids and powerful basses. Really dig it.

Amptech

Well, I have a bunch of stuff that could be used, I have Twins, I have Bassmans, I have Marshall Majors, but I think I put together something that might be a bit off the reservation for the purists, but I think it'll be fine..  Let see what you guys think..  It's a Stage 73 ( 1974 ) and I want to go direct out to an Alembic F2B preamp, to a McIntosh MC2300, to 2 Hardtrucker cabinets, one with a JBL D140, and the other with 2 JBL D120's and an 075 bullet horn.  What do you guys think??