farting out-now no sound-electronics help

Started by maxj67, April 22, 2004, 08:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxj67

I bought my Suitcase 73 'bout 5 years ago from a privite owner. Not sure if its a Mark I or II but will find out tonight using the web site.

My problem.

Something in the amp. Sound was intermitent...would kick in if you turned volume up to 6/7 banged on the keys then something would reconnect and it would play fine. Over time you had to crank it louder to get the reconnection. I know extreme abuse. Now no sound no matter what. Will not kick in. I get signal from keyboard and out the preamp but now from the amp to speakers so that's the prob. Typical prob would be what? Read a bit about cold solder? That would intail reheating joint to make connections?

Thanks Stan

james

I had a problem like this with my Suitcase 73, and even after I had a tech repair it, the problem came back.  The only permanent solution I could find was to connect the Accessory 1 & 2 jacks on the front panel with a short 1/4" patch cord.  Try that and see if it makes a difference.
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Anonymous

Attach accessory 1&2 to what?  I want to use the tremelo sound with the amp cabinet.  For recording I've gone from the pre amp out to 'puter and the tremelo works.  But to play thru the Rhoads amp doesn't.

Stan

james

If the Preamp Output jacks are working, try connecting the them to the Power Amp Input jacks with a couple of 1/4" cables and see if that helps.

maxj67

I understand now.  Tryed it last night. Preamp out to Power Amp in.  NO LUCK.  Still no sound.  Since preamp works to recording equitment.  Seems like something bad in the power amp section.  I'm not seeing any Big Tubes or anything so I'm guessing this thing is solid state power?  Where are the big capasiters that would need discharging? B4 I start jiggling and checking for bad parts.  

Latest edit:  found schematic right under my nose!

Thanks
Stan

james

Right, all of the Suitcase amps from 1965 and later are solid-state.  It sounds like you found the schematics...good luck with the repairs!

Anonymous

Now the thing is working.  And I can't get it to cut out to fix it.  Or I guess technically is working now.  Maybe it only likes warm weather as it's in the upper 70's now in Chicago.  I'll never understand how a machine can fix itself but it's happen all the time.  Usually after you whack the heck out of it or just open it up and close it again.
:lol:

Stan