News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Max speed of vibrato?

Started by Gingermagician, July 08, 2009, 08:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gingermagician

Just checked a video of a Peterson preamp and his speed goes way above mine. Is this a mod and what should the correct speed be? I have fitted the preamp rebuild kit from Vintage Vibe

billulsund

I believe if you change the value of the capacitors for the vibrato circuit you can change the speed. They are either 5mFD or 8mFD depending on the year the preamp was made and are located next to the vibrato bulbs. If you look on the circuit board pic from vintage vibe for the preamp rebuild kit it points out the capacitors and says that the 8mFD caps will give you a slower pan. I believe most preamps have the 8mFD caps. I have rebuilt 3 different peterson preamps and only one had 5mFD caps and it came off of an early model Mark 1 Rhodes.
1974 Suitcase 73, 1975 Suitcase 88

Gingermagician

Right, thanks for the info. Here's the video I was referring to, at the end he whacks the rate up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weFAB5OwyTA

billulsund

Just watched the video. That is some good Rhodes playing. It is very hard to see in the video what preamp he has on that piano, but the vibrato speed has definitely be modded. It occurred to me after my last post that you may be able to increase the vibrato speed by just putting in a higher value potentiometer for the speed. I will try some experimenting and get back to you on this.
1974 Suitcase 73, 1975 Suitcase 88

Gingermagician

It would be interesting to find out the result, thanks.