News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

sustain pedal

Started by duker, August 28, 2009, 06:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duker

I recently purchased a number of items to get my sustain pedal up and running. It included the guide cup, snap bushing and the rod itself. This set up seems super flimsy to me and I am curious to find out what if anything else this pedal came with originally.

pictures welcome
Dunc

jim

in what way is it flimsey?is there side to side movement?
it sounds like you have all the right parts.

duker

I played around with it for awhile last night. I realized I had the snap bushing and the guide cup backwards. The guide cup is now at the back of the pedal and the bushing underneath the piano body. (It's a Mark I, 1977 model).

However, the makeshift unit that connects the sustain rod to the pedal lever seems to look like an old cigarette butt and a large paper clip. This came with the pedal when I acquired it.
Dunc

jim

in 77 fender used to save some money by using parts from the stationary factory next door.

i joke though.

the rod shaft should sit around a little pin kinda thing coming up from the back end of the pedal.

sean

The back end of the pedal lever normally has a hole with a drift pin stuck in that hole.  The drift pin is 1/8" in diameter, and 1.25" long.

The pin doesn't have to be that long, but the longer pin is easier to insert than a fussy little short pin.

You can go to any GOOD hardware store, and simply ask for an "eighth-inch drift pin, inch and a quarter long please".   But if the hole is enlarged, the pin won't fit anymore.   ***EDIT:  The correct term is "Spring Pin" not drift pin.***

You could easily substitute a #4 machine screw secured with a nut on top of the pedal lever.  The nut would be small enough that it wouldn't interfere with the rod.  (Keep the nut from rattling loose by locking it in place with a dab of fingernail polish on the threads.)  

Yes, a number 4 screw is scrawny, but it will work fine, and fits through the 1/8" hole in the pedal lever.  If the hole is enlarged, you could use a #6 screw, or even tap some threads for a #8.   Or get out your welding torch, and....

----------------------
Sounds like the previous owner tried to make it work with a cotter pin and a CigButt.

jim

sean are "draft pins" used in like, drumkit hardware?

i recently was hassled by a pin type thing thinking "what is this bits deal, how do i make it come out!?"

is it the same thing and how do you make em come out?

i ended up drilling through it. :twisted:

sean

Yikes!  I guess "Drift Pin" is not universal language.
Thanks to McMaster-Carr, I finally found the item I mean.

I should have called it a "Spring Pin."  It is installed using a Drift, or Drift Pin, or Drift Punch.  Well usually, I just use a Nail Set, Center Punch, or a discardable old screw or nail to remove it or drive it in place.

From the page at http://www.mcmaster.com/#pins/=3gr8sq

Yes, this is the same pin that is used to assemble lots of drum hardware (and this joint is usually why your toms wobble around).  Since it is just force-fit into the hole, usually you can remove the pin by banging it through to the other side.

jim

awesome thanks, for the info,

i love the learny timez.