News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

What Happened To The Rhodes MK IV Prototype?

Started by Tim Hodges, September 07, 2009, 07:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Hodges

Whatever happened to the Rhodes MK IV prototype?

Has somebody got it or is it MIA?

T
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

james

I've wondered the same thing. You'd hope that Mike Peterson has it safely guarded in his home somewhere...
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Ben Bove

Mike had told me that it was last with the old R&D department.  

He suggested however, it may have been scrapped as Fender was trying to rebuild its name and didn't want prospective projects that were not approved for production to leak out and jeopardize the name.

So could have been scrapped, with the chance of someone taking it out before that happened.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

MikePeterson

Duh...Idunno...

When I left the company, it remained in the R&D lab.

Immediately after I left, the Rhodes and Rogers divisions were closed and the new Fender company moved out of the Fullerton plant.

The Fullerton plant was very very large, and the move was probably a bit chaotic.

I have little hope that the prototype survived.

I wish it did...it belongs in a museum.
I am the designer of the Mark IV, the Mark V stand, and case. I also worked with Harold and Steve on the rest of the piano. My website is loudroundrecords.com

Tim Hodges

Quote from: "MikePeterson"

I agree, it looks absolutely fantastic, fingers crossed it'll pop up sometime.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

qlyde1973stage

Quote from: MikePeterson on September 10, 2009, 10:11:56 AM
Duh...Idunno...

When I left the company, it remained in the R&D lab.

Immediately after I left, the Rhodes and Rogers divisions were closed and the new Fender company moved out of the Fullerton plant.

The Fullerton plant was very very large, and the move was probably a bit chaotic.

2021, Vintage Vibe thriving, Valente Electric Pianos are here, Rhodes resurrected for the MK8.. still lots of young guys like me buying old MK1's and MK2's for restoration and getting heavy use. Why wouldn't we considering building the Peterson 4 Electric Piano?

I'm sure with your history & reputation, you would have a small extremely loyal customer base regardless of the price, and over time you could work on building a more accessibly priced piano. I understand there may be some sort of non complete clause or NDA around your past work but there's got to be a way if there was enough drive to make it happen, considering how identical some of these modern electric pianos are to the pianos they're based on.

The Peterson 4.. kind of rolls of the tongue, I can see it now with those beautiful wood sides.

Just food for thought

chigalihape

Hi,

even though it was a proto, the design on the photo is very nice.

the guys @CLFResearch may have some informations ?
'66 Sparkle top, '71 Suitcase MKI 73, ยด77 Suitcase MKI 88  & '81 Stage MKII 73