News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Is this Rhodes Worth Buying?

Started by prostix, February 08, 2010, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prostix

I know nothing about a Rhodes Mark I , but always wanted one. I found one for $400, the owner said it was in good condtion, but the tolex is torn and comes with the sustain pedal and legs. He also said it needed 2 tines, whatever that means. Is it worth $400? Thanks guys!

[/code]

Tim Hodges

Wow for $400? sounds like a bargain to me, tines are part of the sound producing mechanism which form something similar to a tuning fork. To get replacement tines you're looking at something like $25 for each tine, maybe less for a used one higher up on the keyboard.

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/org/manual/ch1.html

This is a full length tine which can be cut to size for the appropriate key:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-FULL-LENGTH-TINE-For-Fender-Rhodes-PERFECT_W0QQitemZ200434594375QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eaad53247

It's good to hear it's got the legs and sustain pedal as usually most of the pianos I see have either one or both of those missing and to buy replacements can be very costly.

The torn tolex isn't such as issue as it's purely cosmetic, if you really want you could re-tolex it yourself, there are plenty of posts about it on the forum.

You might want to ask about the inside of the piano, whether there is any corrosion on the tines, pickups or the tonebars. It's a simple fix if there is but if you can lower the price anymore because of it that would be brilliant.

If you can get any pictures as well from the seller that would be good so we can have a look. But in my opinion $400 is a very good price, I'm in the UK and I paid over a $1000 for mine (converted from £700)

Let's see what everyone else thinks.

Tim
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

kramer

You Americans and your amazing Rhodes bargains.  :)

pianotuner steveo

That's nothing,Kramer... I have had TWO Rhodes given to me for free, and I bought another for $80 once.....3 total for $80.

Of course those days are LONG gone...
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

drcarver

I'd say that's a good deal.  If nothing else, you could replace the tines and sell it for a profit.

If you keep it, make friends with the guys at Vintage Vibe, Major Key, etc.  They should be able to hook you up with all the parts to have it looking/playing/sounding better than new.

kramer

Quote from: "pianotuner steveo"That's nothing,Kramer... I have had TWO Rhodes given to me for free, and I bought another for $80 once.....3 total for $80.
You should get banned for saying things like that!

Tim Hodges

Out of curiosity and mainly to annoy myself what models were they?

T  :D
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Tim Hodges

Quote from: "kramer"This one is quite fun:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Rhodes-Suitcase-seventy-three_W0QQitemZ260550318919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL?hash=item3caa025b47

I was looking at that earlier and couldn't believe it. £1800 for a Rhodes???  :shock::shock::shock: over here that's way above the asking price anyway and it makes it even worse with these attributes:

7 missing tines
S missing off Seventy Three
Modded 5 pin cable
Ripped tolex
Burn damage on the lid

I would pay maybe £500 at a stretch for that. I wouldn't even consider my piano to be worth £1800 and I've completely restored it to make it look brand new.  :shock:

(could someone also explain why I have cached links and files of wonky hammers? at the bottom of this post)
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

pianotuner steveo

2 stages  (1973, and I think 1976) and  an ampless suitcase (1975)that was an absolute basket case. That piano is now my Rhodes bass. The other 2 were sold and I still kick myself for selling the second one.It was  near mint  73 stage- complete, and the buyer complained about paying me $425 for it. (This was in the days just before Ebay) I almost put it back in my car and drove away, I wish that I did.

Only 1 of the 3 was a Fender (obviously) And ALL THREE had 1/4" jacks on the harp instead of RCA jacks........... I don't know why, but they did. I was told once that that was abnormal, but it was normal to me...
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...