News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Restoration Thread - Show us Pics of your work!

Started by Tim Hodges, February 15, 2010, 02:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodesman73

Quote from: tjh392 on August 08, 2012, 03:24:10 PM
Superb work Rhodesman, it looks new!!
Thank you.  I hope to post some pics of the top soon.

Rhodesman73

Here are some before and after pics of the keyboard section.  1977 Suitcase 73

musomarc

Hi,
Great work on the Suitcase rhodes.
Can you show me a pic of the bottom keyboard part and how it fits/sits onto the base amp/speaker?
I've always wondered how they fit or lock in place.A friend has one and the sustain pedal dosen't seem to lock into the top and I've suggested to him it needs realigning with the two sections.
Keep on Rhodes :)

Tim Hodges

Quote from: musomarc on August 09, 2012, 04:54:15 PM
Hi,
Great work on the Suitcase rhodes.
Can you show me a pic of the bottom keyboard part and how it fits/sits onto the base amp/speaker?
I've always wondered how they fit or lock in place.A friend has one and the sustain pedal dosen't seem to lock into the top and I've suggested to him it needs realigning with the two sections.
Keep on Rhodes :)

On the top of the suitcase amp there are 2 small cups which match up to two glides on the underside of the piano.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

vanceinatlance

Greetings,

Before I start, I just wanted to state that I have great respect for this forum and the people who have contributed to it's wealth of information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I can only imagine how many of these instruments have been saved because of this site. This is my first post, so I hope I am placing this in the right area.

I am currently trying to bring back to life what I believe is a 1978 Mark I suitcase 73 (1083 stamped on board with tines) . It was sold to me as a parts unit, but most everything is here and in what I would consider pretty good shape. Oh, yeah, that amp didn't make any sound on power up, and the preamp is missing the 5 pin connector entirely and of course the 5pin cable is mia. Opening up the preamp revealed a radiosh*** metal screw driver, penny, and odd piece of metal wire floating around inside. I have heard of many revisions of the preamp, but I don't believe these items were part of the overall plan. The power amp had a very tarnished headphone jack. I cleaned up the headphone jack and its contacts with some inox and I was suddenly able to get sound from the aux inputs!  One channel is nice and clear and the other channel is distorted. I ,of course, played it to death with the distorted sound until I was finally craving a clean sound. This is where my questions come in.
I am seeking information on what type of non polarized capacitors people are using for the audio amps mainly the 1uf (c2) and 5uf (c1) and some good suggestions on where they can be purchased, possibly, reasonably priced.
My next question is where can I find a 5pin receptical for the preamp. I see the cords everywhere in the $60 range, but never the receptical.
Thanks,
Vance

guvech

There is my restoration work on 1976 MKI . There is still some work on the hardwear. Some corners and legs, but the most important thing is that I already have sound. And it's pretty good.

guvech

Adam@Sealekeyworks

Adam Sheppard
----
Serving the Nashville Music Community for over 27 years
Seale Keyworks, Inc.
1121 Harpeth Ind. Ct. Franklin, TN 37064
Office #: 615.370.8800

voltergeist

Pics of Peterson restoration (in progress).  I drilled holes in the pwb for the new cap leads and stabilized the caps with hot glue.  Replaced AC input with a modern appliance-style input (and a snazzy custom-machined adaptor plate!).  LED is tied to +25V.  All new power transistors on power blocks.  Still need to hook up a new 4 pin connector and balance the output amplitudes.  Power and audio test ok, very little ripple on the power rails.

Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

voltergeist

'75 88 Satellite I restored a while back.  Original Tolex and hammer tips.  VV stereo preamp, all new felts, grommets, chrome hardware, backchecks, miracle mod, and cheek block power supply.  Wonderful piano.

Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

voltergeist

These are custom-machined folding legs I built for my first restoration, a '78 suitcase.

voltergeist

A couple more pics - with the legs secured to the cabinet.

voltergeist

My first restoration - '78 Suitcase (finished)

voltergeist

Before and after polishing damper pedal cover plate.

voltergeist

'77 Stage I restored for a friend.  All new felt, chrome, rubber, Tolex, and hardware.  He didn't have $ to spring for a new top, so he painted his old top.  It was in really tough shape when he brough it in.

David Aubke

I'm envious of folks who know how to repair electronics. Maybe one day I'll pursue that more.

I love the aluminum legs.

What's the scoop on the Stage's harp cover? Is that one of Ken Rich's Starfields?
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

voltergeist

Quote from: David Aubke on October 04, 2013, 03:15:08 PM
What's the scoop on the Stage's harp cover? Is that one of Ken Rich's Starfields?

The owner did the harp cover himself.  Sparkle spray paint and several coats of aerosol clear coat.  He got pretty good results, considering the low budget/low tech approach. 

voltergeist

Nowhere near the high-gloss glory of a Starfield, though.

ClariRhodes

Rhodes MK I 1978
Nord Lead A1
Nord Piano 2
Novation Impulse

Tim Hodges

Here's my latest completion with before and after photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsjwb5HXD the Rhodes was completely rusted up.

Before:

After:

It's a 1977 Rhodes Stage Piano 73 Key which was in a terrible state. Everything was taken apart and rebuilt from the ground up. Case was re-tolexed, tines and tone bars re-plated, missing parts sourced, previous mods fixed. Now I'm in the midst of fixing up 2 more satellite amps (I'll update once more when they're completed)

Tim
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Tim Hodges

Next restoration I've been given is a 1974/75 ish 88 Key Mark 1. I've yet to date it as the stamp has disappeared off the harp but as I take it apart I'll find it.

Some one had modified it for gigs with all this additional metal framework, I'll be returning it back to it's former glory.

Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

cinnanon

Didn't see any pictures of wurlitzers in here. Currently working on this one. It has come a long way. Currently building the sustain pedal and it will be painted like the rest of the wurlitzer. Still need to cut out a music rack (traced) and some music rack brass hinges (Wire EDM).

goldphinga

Quote from: tjh392 on September 22, 2015, 02:07:13 AM
Next restoration I've been given is a 1974/75 ish 88 Key Mark 1. I've yet to date it as the stamp has disappeared off the harp but as I take it apart I'll find it.

Some one had modified it for gigs with all this additional metal framework, I'll be returning it back to it's former glory.

Now I did something similar to mine, except I ditched the old ply case completely, built a new one from common flightcase materials and saved almost 30lbs.

Ben Bove

Quote from: tjh392 on September 22, 2015, 02:07:13 AM

Good eye ball on dating it, if the date stamp is missing, it's a 1974.  The blue ink they used can get wiped off if someone tried to clean inside the piano.  If you get up really close to the top right corner of the wood on the harp and look from a couple different angles and lighting, you may see the remnants of a 74 date.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

PadThai

Love me a good project to get some quality time in my shop...especially when it is working on something musical...and seems to be going well 👍🏼

1-Case disassembled and cleaned out (no more acorns or mold ) 😁
2-Harp (tines and tone bars) disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and reinstalled)
3-preamp tested and working well
(Pots feel good, virbrato working well)
4-replacement cheek block and power supply installed
5-pick ups tested, only 1 is bad and is to be replaced 😊
6-key heights checked
7-action (stickiness) checked
8-dampers removed and ready for felt replacements

Still a ways to go, but was fun being able to plug it in and start to hear it take acoustical form 🎹🎶

Tried to upload pics...but jpeg apparently isn't allowed by this forum...
Will try to load them tomorrow