News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Sustain Pedal Pics?

Started by pcmancini, May 27, 2010, 01:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcmancini

Does anyone have any close up pics of what the end of the stage sustain pedal - the part where it connects to the rod - is supposed to look like?

I just bought a Rhodes and it came with a fully functional sustain pedal but the rod just  seems seems to be a thin cymbal stand.  I am going to buy the correct rod but I want to make sure the pedal has all the right parts too.

Right now it just has a small screw, washer and nut at the connection point.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Paul
1975 Mark 1

Tim Hodges

Hi Paul

Here are some photos of my stage pedal and rod, unfortunately I've haven't got the Rhodes with my at the moment so I can't take more detailed pictures but these should do the job.

The bottom of the sustain rod sits on the pin of the sustain pedal (and prevents it from moving about)

T

Sustain Rod:

This is a close up of the clutch minus the additional rod which extends.

Sustain Pedal:

You can see the aforementioned pin (for the rod) just in the picture

(Note the rod should be going straight up into the piano not angled as shown in the last shot, this was due to me just moving the piano out of it's usual place)
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

sean

Hey Paul,

That screw is a common repair.  The pedal came from the factory with a spring pin driven through that hole.  The spring pin is NOT any better.

See http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=5613.msg27728#msg27728 and read downward for the pictures of the little spring pin.

Unless your Sustain pedal rod is defective, rusty,  or slipping, I would leave it as is.  If it works, why switch it?

I have a number of DIY pedal rods, and I don't have to worry about them getting bent or stolen.  (Keep the real Rodgers rod at home in a drawer.)

Here is my method of building the sustain rod:
http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=3834.msg17261#msg17261

Measurements of the pedal, to make a DIY lever:
http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=3834.msg17261#msg17261

The pedal lever really isn't that mysterious.  When I go out to evaluate a Rhodes for purchase, I always bring a little 18" long board that I flop on top of a screwdriver handle as the fulcrum.  It works great, and it wouldn't kill me if I accidentally left it behind (or lost it on a gig).  (Of course, to make the board-and-screwdriver pedal gig-worthy, you would have to include some duct tape.)

sean

sean

Hey T!

Great photo of both types of sustain pedal in one photo!

(The ...tjh392/DSCF3399 photo above.)

For no good reason, I prefer the look and shape of the earlier pedal.

I will add that photo to my screensaver slideshow.  Thanks.

Sean

pcmancini

Guys, thanks so much for the quick replies.

Paul
Paul
1975 Mark 1

Tim Hodges

Quote from: "sean"Hey T!

Great photo of both types of sustain pedal in one photo!

(The ...tjh392/DSCF3399 photo above.)

For no good reason, I prefer the look and shape of the earlier pedal.

I will add that photo to my screensaver slideshow.  Thanks.

Sean

Cheers Sean, glad to be of service!

I have to point out though that the black pedal is a reproduction, as you can see it's slightly larger so I don't know whether that was due to the reproduction company's molding or whether the black pedal actually differed in design over the years. I prefer the original too, but I need to give it a proper buffing, it was in a bit of a state when I picked it up but with a buffer machine hopefully it'll look as good as new (except for the scratches ;) )

Quote from: "pcmancini"Guys, thanks so much for the quick replies.

Paul

No problem! :-)
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Spaceduck

Quote from: "pcmancini"the rod just  seems seems to be a thin cymbal stand.  I am going to buy the correct rod but I want to make sure the pedal has all the right parts too.

Hey PC, yeah the standard sustain rod for a Rhodes is nothing more than a hi hat rod!

TJH, great pics. I've always wanted to see an older pedal up close. I have 2 that are from '75 and they look identical to the black one. I've always wanted to strip off the paint because I think natural silver looks really sleek.

jim

yes you can totally strip the paint and polish it! i've done it!

Tim Hodges

Yeah it definitely looks better on a MK1 & cheers Spaceduck!
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com