Author Topic: Transitional Tammer Tips - 8 different shores?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline nirsound

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fenderrhodesla.com
Transitional Tammer Tips - 8 different shores?
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »
In a perfect world, the Fender Rhodes piano would have 73 (or eighty eight ) different hammer tips harnesses, but in reality, the instrument that was made between 1970-1984 had 5 different levels of hammer tips harnesses, making the transition between shores, sometimes, bit noticeable. Of course we can compensate for that with voicing in the transition points but I was wondering is anyone aware of a source for additional levels of hardness to the hammer tips beyond the original configuration? Lets say 1-2 extra harnesses in the mid section:

*  00 - 23 = 30 shore (soft)
    * 24 - 33 = 50 shore (medium soft)
**   ADDITIONAL HARDNESS  HERE (less important)
    * 34 - 43 = 70 shore (medium hard)
**   ADDITIONAL HARDNESS HERE (more important)
    * 44 - 57 = 90 shore (hard)
    * 58 - 81 = Maple with shrink (very hard)
'74 Modified Suitcase
'65 Sparkletop
'75 Suitcase 73 Keys
'78 Suitcase 73 Keys "Red Tiger"

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »
http://www.acmerubber.com/neosheet.htm

Added: McMaster-Carr catalog, page 3480.

...among what has to be many other sources. What I can't answer is how to fabricate hammer tips out of the sheet stock.

If you could cut it with a router bit, you could profile one edge of the sheet, then rip the profiled edge off, so you have a strip a few feet long with the right profile. Then chop it up lengthwise into hammer tips, maybe with a good old razorblade and a jig. I just dunno if you can route the stuff. Never worked with it.

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:42:54 PM »
Trying to think laterally here.... if you could mold them out of RTV, you could theoretically get a more or less continuous durometer range by adding some amendment to the silicone. I just don't know how long they'd hold up.

Offline GetWithTheTines

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Re: Transitional Tammer Tips - 8 different shores?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:24:15 AM »
Yeah, you would think that since it comes in shore level increments of 10, it would be easy to make tips with a hardness of 80. I wonder why no one has done this yet, especially since it seems to be in such demand. Perhaps there's a good reason. Maybe Chris from Vintage Vibe will respond and let us know why this hasn't been done.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:41:35 AM by GetWithTheTines »

Offline Groove4Hire

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vintagebua.no
Re: Transitional Tammer Tips - 8 different shores?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 06:21:55 AM »
I know they introduced a set of blue tips to be used between the yellow and white tips on the Mark 7 to make the transition here more even. I haven't tried these tip on an old piano yet...
Jon
Rhodes-tech, www.vintagebua.no, Norway