Information re connecting a stage piano to powered speakers

Started by paulmulligan, June 28, 2010, 10:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulmulligan

Dear Super site members. attention technical Geniuses. Is :wink:  :wink:  there anyone who can please advise?
I have had my satellite speakers disposed of for my stage rhodes and have bought two powered speakers.The original satellite preamp controlls have a 4 pin cable which used to go to the master amp.the powered speakers I have have 3 pin inputs.So i connected the roads via the accessory inputs (guitar jacks)Subsequently i am getting sound but the tone controls on the preamp and stereo pulsing controls have no effect. what do i have to do to connect via the preamp input? will a 4pin to 3 pin adaptor work ?: or do I have to get a spacial input put into one of the powered speakers?It is possible to slave one powered speaker to another . What do i need to get the tone and stereo pulsing working?Did my original satellite speakers have a special wiring  in them? Is it possible to get 4pin connectorrs :wink:

Ben Bove

The problem is the cable between your preamp and the satellite speakers - the preamp has to be powered.  The cable supplies power from the amp to operate the preamp.  So you'll have to have a method of powering up the preamp, and 1/4" outs to your powered monitors.

VIntage Vibe and other places like this sell units to power up the preamp.  Haven't tried that product myself but have heard good things so I'd say that's a safe bet.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Wavedude

Gosh, I hate those stupid 4 pin/5 pin connector things they used. I took the control panel out of my suitcase mod, and just stuck some 1/4 inch outputs on it. Much easier to deal with. Sure I wish I could use the tone and vibrato the original control panel had, but without the bottom speaker part, its useless.

If you want to use those controls, you will need to figure out what pins do what, and find/make an adapter. one pin is +volts, another is -ground, the others are the stereo outputs. If you can figure out what pins are what, then you can make your own power supply and output to then power the preamp and get signal from the piano.
That's what I would do, and what I want to do sometime with mine ;)
Fender Rhodes 88 key - Suitcase Model