Author Topic: conversion of suitcase model to stage model  (Read 4523 times)

Offline inlineaw

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
conversion of suitcase model to stage model
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
hi all,

i'm newbie and would like to seek your expert opinion.
does anybody ever try to convert suitcase model to stage?
what is the pro and cons?
how to do it?
do you have any recommendation?

thank you so much

Offline garagebandking41

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 01:10:37 AM »
Suitcase tops don't have the four leg flanges on the bottom for stage legs, and the wood is thinner than on stage models so you can't add you're own. The best option is to buy a nice sturdy stand, and plop it up on that. Maybe change the namerail if you wanted to, But you can still just go straight out from the accessory 1 jack, if your model suitcase has it. (Straight from the harp)
Noisy Wurltizer 200a
Buggy Moog LP Tribute
Heavy Rhodes Mark V

Offline drcarver

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:39:04 AM »
That's how I use my suitcase.  I keep the speaker cabinet in the studio, and when I play the rhodes out, I just use a heavy duty "z" style keyboard stand.  You can buy power supplies that will still allow you to use the stereo tremolo.  Or, like garagebandking41 says, you can use the accessory jack, but I usually have that used up for my effects loop.

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »
Anybody been tempted to get some wood and basically add the difference onto the bottom of the piano?

If I was to attempt it, I would have a sheet of wood cut out just larger than the dimensions of the piano maybe with a width of 1cm or so. I would then screw it onto the base, sand down the sides to create the rounded edges of the piano's profile, then cut the leg flange holes. The additional width of wood beneath the piano would provide the structual rigidity required for the leg flanges. Then at that point I would re-tolex.

A lot of effort I supose.

T
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
While you are at it, you could add some bricks and an anvil.

The legs on a Rhodes are far from convenient.  Keyboard stands are much easier to deal with, and some are more sturdy than the Rhodes legs and cross braces.  

The parts are expensive:  The leg flanges are outrageously expensive.  The legs and cross braces are too.

Then theres the plywood, bondo, and the tolex.  And hours of work.

I would not be surprised if it would be cheaper to just buy a stage Rhodes.

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »
Quote from: "sean"
While you are at it, you could add some bricks and an anvil.

I would not be surprised if it would be cheaper to just buy a stage Rhodes.

I sense sarcasm Sean  :lol:  you're quite right I had forgotten about the weight! :)

T
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Offline inlineaw

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
thank u so much for the reply gentlemen..
i think it would be better get stage model

well, i live in singapore and find that it is very difficult to purchase good rhodes from US at reasonable price.

i've been thinking of shipment issue.

please let me know if anybody has contact for seller whose able to help with the shipment and has mk1 late model with good condition and reasonable price.

appreciate your help guys..

Offline michaeltristan

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:32:27 PM »
suddenly that extra piece of plywood sounds like a good idea!  But for real, I would just use a power box for the suitcase preamp and run it into a PA, or come straight off the harp via the rca plug into a tube amp.... or just replace the namerail with one with passive electronics and put the sucker on a strong table style keyboard stand.  Both are much cheaper to ship than an entire rhodes!  I use a table top keyboard stand for my Hohner Pianet, and I always think it reminds me of a MK V stand... i like it... strong and looks good.  On Stage is the make, and it under $60 USD.  You can get the passive electronics from vintage vibe....

-michael
Mk 1 Stage>Fender PA 100>2x12 Celestion G12t75
Hohner Pianet>Musicman 210 Sixty-Five

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:29:32 AM »
Ni Hau Singapore!

The Rhodes is a beast to haul on a bicycle, but one of those three-wheeled motorcycles would be great.  This is the one I want http://image.tradevv.com/2008/10/06/lkmoto/cargo-tricycle-with-dipping-253060.jpg?size=600

What model Suitcase do you have?   Mark I or Mark II?  
Which Preamp does it have in the name rail?  

Can you post some pictures for us to see?

As Michael said, you can buy a power supply to make the preamp in the name rail work perfectly without the heavy amplifier bottom.  You just have to buy the right power supply for your preamp.  It will cost between $100 and $300, or more if you like the exotic models.

Without the power supply, the Rhodes preamp won't work, but you can still connect to the "accessory 1" jack on the name rail, and you have to control your volume with whatever preamp or amplifier you have at the gig.  You could put a little mixer on top of the piano.

Of course, you will need a sustain pedal and push rod.  Since the damper push rod dowel in the Suitcase Piano doesn't have a dimple or hole in it, your sustain pedal rod will tend to slip out of place.  The easiest solution for that is to slip a wooden dowel over the top of your sustain pedal push rod, like this:
http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=4991.msg24625#msg24625

You can buy your sustain pedal online from a number of places for under $200USD plus shipping.  You could make your own without too much trouble.  The pedal is a simple lever, and the rod isn't too exotic.

My directions for making your own sustain push rod:
http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=3834.msg17261#msg17261

My measurements of the sustain pedal for you to copy:
http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=3695.msg16447#msg16447

(Honestly, I have used a simple piece of wood with a block nailed under it as a sustain pedal.  It works fine once you learn how to keep it from moving around.)

Get yourself the strongest keyboard stand you can find.  The X-brace style will either bounce too much while you play; or if it is the sturdy type with multiple cross pieces, they will bump your knees all night.  Get a platform-style stand like Michael said.

Show us some pictures, and we should be able to point you to the right power supply, or help out any way you need.

Sean
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:02:24 PM by admin »

Offline michaeltristan

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Here is a link to the stand I use for my Pianet.  It's strong.

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/KS7150/grp/GRP000073

its rated for 230 lbs!!  You could put your Rhodes on it, and a small person!  The "list price" is CRAZY.  You can get it on Amazon for $49 USD.

-michael
Mk 1 Stage>Fender PA 100>2x12 Celestion G12t75
Hohner Pianet>Musicman 210 Sixty-Five

Offline shmuelyosef

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:09:22 PM »
This is the stand that I use on my Stage 73. http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPKS7350 I was going to re-tolex the case, but after stripping the old tolex off and finding all the corners busted and the top made out of 1/8" particle board, I decided to build a new dyno-style case...stay tuned. (my alternate passion is period furniture re-creations)
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" --- Henny Youngman

1973 Fender-Rhodes Stage 73 Dyno > 1912 Mason & Hamlin Model A > > Nord Electro 6HP 73 > DSI OB6 analog synth > Rondetti concert accordion > dozens of melodicas, saxophones, clarinets, flutes, drums, amps...help...I'm awash in GAS!!

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »
Quote from: "shmuelyosef"
period furniture re-creations(

heheh

:lol:

Offline truelove

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
Hi inlineaw, I'm singaporean and I have a Rhodes MK7 for sale. have sent you a pm. please contact me if interested.  email: jimmy.chan82@gmail.com or call 84246935

Offline Peacefrog35

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 07:59:08 AM »
Quote from: "michaeltristan"
Here is a link to the stand I use for my Pianet.  It's strong.

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/KS7150/grp/GRP000073

its rated for 230 lbs!!  You could put your Rhodes on it, and a small person!  The "list price" is CRAZY.  You can get it on Amazon for $49 USD.

-michael

+1 on this stand.  I also have one that I used for my sparkletop suitcase that I purchased for $400 that didn't come with the bottom speaker.  I use this stand and plug directy to an amp.  The stand is sturdy, strong and while it doesnt' look eactly like Rhodes legs, still maintains the overall similar look and feel of Fender Rhodes legs.  I like the look alot better than an X stand or Z legs.
current gear:
1965 Fender Rhodes Gold Sparkle Piano Bass
1965 Fender Rhodes Gold Sparkle Piano Bass
1962 Fender Rhodes white top piano bass
1966 Fender Rhodessilver sparkle piano bass
1968 Gibson G101 organ
1966 Vox 301H wood key conitnental
1968 Vox 301E Continental
1967 RMI 300A Electra-piano and Harpsichord