News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Just found a Rhodes, starting to repair

Started by jetjordan, July 19, 2010, 01:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetjordan

Hello everybody,

I just recently had the great luck (perhaps insane luck) of finding a working Fender Rhodes Mark II stage piano (73 keys)  in pretty good shape on the side of the street.  It had a note on it that read "I work."  All of the keys work and it was more or less in tune.  It has its legs but no sustain pedal (do have the rod) so I made one out of wood that resembles an organ pedal.  

I figured out how to tune it by moving the coils on what I believe are the the "tines"  (just learning the lingo sorry if that's incorrect)  So with Piano now in tune with a working sustain system I'm starting to grow more adventurous and I'd really like to get this thing in as good of shape as I can.  I've scoured over all of the repairs and maintenance section and I'm having trouble finding one comprehensive guide on reviving one of these bad boys.  Does something like that exist on these forums?  

thanks in advance for any pointers and advice.  

-t

Tim Hodges

T

Man you're lucky!! that's great news congratulations, here's the service guide to get you started.

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/service/manual.php

You'll find everyone on here is very helpful and if you have any questions no matter how simple you can ask anyone on here.

I look forward to seeing and perhaps hearing the progress!!

All the best

Tim
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

Spaceduck

Man, I must be driving down the wrong streets. All I ever find are ratty old sofas.

Big congrats on your find, JJ. You are now embarking on a lifelong adventure. Check out the manual tjh posted, then take it one section at a time and feel free to ask for tips.

Like you did, I would start at the harp, making sure all the tines are in tune & working (as well as the pickups). Then move on to the hammers, dampers & work your way down to the keys. But everyone has a different strategy, I'm sure. Have fun with it!

jim

jetjordan

thanks guys, I feel welcome already.

so my tines and tone bars are pretty amazingly calcified and rusted.  Anyone have any ideas for a really tough cleaning solution?  I'm nervous to dump them in something as harsh as CLR.   I've heard good things about kerosene though... thoughts?

thanks again.

t

Tim Hodges

Kerosene is good, there are a few threads which go into detail about cleaning them. The search function on the top right should help you.

In the meantime here's a thread which had a few examples of the stuff some of the members have done in restoring their pianos (a shameless self promotion ;) )

Restoration Thread

Long story short, sand paper or wire wool, or kerosene or this gel Wenol:

Tine Cleaning Materials
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

jetjordan

thanks for all the tips,

I have new gromets, a couple of replacement screws, and some wenol in the mail right now.  I do have some "mothers metal polish" which I'm going to try out on a couple of the low register keys.  I've been easing the keys and cleaning the pickups (using a steel wire brush attachment for the dremel which I've done before on guitars)  I also CLR'ed all of the pickup screws (which were crusty) rather than buying new ones.  The tone bar screws and the 5/16 hex screws for the tines are all in great shape and must be stainless, anyone know why my 1/4 inch pickup screws looked like cooked sausage patties?

I'll keep you guys posted, and hopefully get some pics up soon.

-t

jetjordan

Also, do you guys just tear the hammer tips off to replace them?  I can't find anything on removing the suckers other than how to clean the top of the hammer once its off.  I'll be getting to this in a few days so just wanted to know if the answer is really that obvious.

-t