Author Topic: best way to cut tines, please share  (Read 4420 times)

tmusicnyc

best way to cut tines, please share
« on: April 30, 2004, 04:43:25 PM »
so what is your favorite way to cut a tine? anything that works especially well? i use a small hacksaw and a file, but i don't always have good results. sometimes, i get bad sustain or weird harmonics. should the tine be perfectly squared at the end or should you sand/file a bit to take the sharp edges off? share your opinion.

Offline james

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes Super Site
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 04:57:45 PM »
The hacksaw method isn't exactly the friendliest way to do it...I've been using a pair of linesman's/journeyman's pliers like these for a few years now:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1340676

I imagine a bolt cutter would work about as well.  I've found that the pliers are easier to grip, and they cut the tine fairly evenly.
Web Designer/Developer, Webmaster & Co-Creator
The Rhodes Super Site since 1996
1977 Mark I Stage 73 + Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe

Offline dnarkosis

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 04:57:02 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe one also should cut the tine off at a right angle rather than with an oblique angle on the end, i.e., with a straight cut -- to minimize vibration anomalies in connection with the pickup. At least I think that's how it works.
1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54

hrees

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 10:42:14 AM »
The tine must be square at the end for the best tone production, especially in the upper mid range. I use a grinding attatchment on an electric drill. Far quicker than filing.