News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Fixing up a Rhodes cabinet I found

Started by cowbellallen, August 15, 2010, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowbellallen

When my parents moved their business to a new space, someone had left this old Rhodes cabinet behind. It has 4x12" speakers, 2 of which were disconnected so the guy could play the radio on it. Has no keyboard with it.

I replaced the fuse a moment ago and would like to get a power cable for it, but since I'm not very educated as to Rhodes equipment and electronics in general, I don't know if there is a special cable needed, or if I can use a simple extension cable without trouble.

If there is anything else I should know before selling this, please let me know! I want to make sure this is in the best shape possible before selling it (which means I'll have to test it as well).

Rob A

Simple extension cable works.

Looks like it's missing the damper pedal (Second photo). That's a pretty serious problem for someone who wants to play a Rhodes through it. t sort of makes it a parts dog instead of a saleable unit. There are other pedal parts inside that may be missing as well, can't tell from your photos.

The grill cloth looks to be in great shape, but the second photo makes it look like wires are fed through it?

There should be 4, 12" speakers inside the thing wired to two amp modules, wired to the power supply (the thing you can see the nameplate on).

You should definitely list your location to help sell it.

cowbellallen

I have the damper pedal. I took that picture around 3 years ago, and shortly after I took it I realized the pedal was actually inside the amp itself. I haven't opened it in awhile, but I plan on giving it a thorough cleaning tomorrow and will take more pictures.

The grill cloth is in great condition, but there was a point where the previous owner had poked a wire through it so he could play his radio out of it. The cut is about the width of a nickel and it maybe half a centimeter tall.

There are 4x12" speakers inside of it, and I'm assuming they work since the previous owner had it hooked up to a radio at the time.

I'm located in Dallas, Texas.

Thanks for the help!

Rob A

You can test pretty easily by wiring a signal source to it using the pair of jacks marked external amplifier 1 and 2. Those are just jacks in parallel with the connection from the preamp, so they are outs and ins both. Plug in a guitar or ipod or whatever source you have, and check that you get both speakers on both channels.

pianotuner steveo

Yes when I need to test one of these, I bring my ipod and a cable that goes from the stereo 1/8" jack, to two RCA plugs, then adapted to 1/4" guitar type plugs.  If the amp works well, you should be able to fetch from $450-$700 to the right buyer.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...