News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Wurlitzer - Please Comment

Started by soliton, May 29, 2005, 05:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soliton

Hey Guys,

My friend is buying a Wurlitzer from a person in Niagara Falls.  I think he said the price about $500 USD.  I did a search for Wurly's and not much came up - so my question is, how much of the Rhodes buying tips apply to a Wurly?

I'd like to make a list of questions for the owner, what should I include...

Type/Model?
Year Manufactured?
Last Tuned?
Last Serviced?

What about reeds, tines, PSU, keys, and all the "guts"?

What internal components should I be concerned about?  In other words, the overall sound is dependent on dozens of components, but are there a few that should be in very good condition because they're bigger factors?

As in, don't worry about PART X, it can be serviced for $50, but make sure PART Y is working because it's tough to get a replacement.  That's just an example to get the point across.

Of course we're going to sit down and play the thing and make sure it feels and sounds good.  But without looking inside, we're not getting the whole picture right?

MANY thanks for any replies.  I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Tom.

hrees

I would avoid any model up to the 140 series. 120s and 112s have a different action and are difficult to work on. But if it is a 200 or 140/145 then it should be fine.

Look for hum/hiss and uneven volume/attack. If it displays either of these then it will need a service. A wurly should play even across the entire register (including the highest notes). If the action is unresponsive then it will need regulating.

Get the seller to remove the lid and look for signs of dampness. A good test is to see if notes stick down when you play with the sustain pedal depressed. It's not hard to fix but gives you bargaining power.

soliton

Thanks for the info.

What kind of price are people asking now for a Wurly in Fair/Good condition, and also Mint condition?

The guy says it's good or great, and is asking $500 USD I think. That's reasonable?

Thanks again,
Tom.

axg20202

Hi,

as with all vintage gear, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Only you can judge. Obviously, I can't give the best guidance on price because, in the UK, a good condition Wurly could sell for 3 times this price. $500 USD sounds like a good price to me if it really is in good condition and plays well. Again, at this price in the UK, I would buy this regardless in fixer-upper of condition and take a risk or use it for parts - but you can be more choosy. Don't be in a rush - give it a thorough audition and inspection.

Andy.