Author Topic: One Key sounds dead  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Vibe75

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
One Key sounds dead
« on: May 29, 2005, 06:28:57 PM »
Help, ever since I got may Mark I 73 key I have the F# above middle C that doesn't sound great.  It sounds muted.  The other keys ring out and sustain but this one doesn't.  I've tried everything.  It looks like the tine doesn't vibrate enough.  The sound dies quickly.  Any suggestions?
I love the Rhodes....and playing some Funk.

Offline suitcase'81

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
One Key sounds dead
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 04:04:07 PM »
is the tine bolted on TIGHT to the tonebar?
and with tight i mean really tight.
this can influence the sustain..

hope this helps.
"All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians."

Offline Vibe75

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
One Key sounds dead
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 05:08:17 PM »
I've checked this and it is as tight as I can see it.  It's the weirdest thing.  I haven't heard anything like it.  When I strike the tine it just doesn't vibrate as long as the other keys.  I will check the tine again and see if it is really tight but I don't know?

Offline zjokka

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • http://modman.blogdrive.com
One Key sounds dead
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 09:28:05 AM »
Screwing the tone bar on very tight is not a solution, rather it might indirectly be the problem. Try replacing the grommets (rubber washers), they are the key to sustain problems. Often, fierce tightening of the tone bar migh cause the rubber to get squashed and dead.

hope this helps,
zjok

Offline Vibe75

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
One Key sounds dead
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 12:27:28 PM »
Thanks, I've ordered some grommetts to see if that is the problem.  So, I'll have to wait until they get here to determine if that was it.

Offline spacecho

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
One Key sounds dead
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 01:01:10 AM »
Hi Vibe75,

i have a mk2 stage and i have found that some of my notes just don't sustain. I have taken them out (tine and tonebar) and struck the tine whilst it is in my hand and it just dies quicker than if i do the same thing with a tine/tonebar that i know is good.

What i want to establish is whether it is the tine or the tonebar that is faulty? they are definently super tight, i will probably go and swap tines and tonebar around with a friends rhodes to see what it is..

I think the idea of re-electroplating the tonebars might be a good idea???

before u do anything look at your hammertips, my rhodes must have been played by a keybasher! because some hammertips have a groove in them almost all the way to the bottom (7mm!) These notes had shorter sustain because of this

Offline Vibe75

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
One Key sounds dead
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 02:52:43 PM »
Wow, to have hammer tips that bad....ghees.  I also think that the replating is a good idea.  I haven't researched the replating thing at all yet so I don't really have an opinion on that.  But I do know that if you replace the tine and the grommets you will get a much better sustain with whatever key that's bothering you.

I think my dampeners are really wacked because if I bend them I don't get the ringing to stop when the sustain pedal is not pressed.  If you know what I mean?  I'll have to work on it some and then post some pics or something.