News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Way to modify Stage piano to stereo outs?

Started by coachdobbs, October 20, 2010, 06:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachdobbs

Im just curious, and I really dont know if this has been answered already or not. Is there a way to from the harp where it has the mono RCA jack to replace that with 2 stereo 1/4 inputs that I could mount on the face plate? I always use my RCA output on the harp and bypass the preamp. Im just curious to know if there is a way to make it stereo? Thanks!

1978 Fender Rhodes Stage 73 (3978) 
Roland JC-120 
BBE Sonic Maximizer 
Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble/1982 Boss CE-2/1982 Ibanez CS-9
1978 EHX Small Stone/EHX Polyphase
MXR Analogman Dyna/Ross
1974 Thomas Organ Wah

Cormac Long

Well its a mono signal by definition. It only becomes stereo via an effects processor (chorus, tremolo etc).

You could rewire the pickup serialisation and partition them into groups (Joe Zawinul did that i think). Its then a multi output solution then where they equalise bass, mid and treble sections separately. But it's still 2+ mono signals.

However such a setup could be mixed in stereo with left mid and right bias for each output creating a stereo effect.

Wiring the RCA to twin jacks is possible, but its merely twin mono.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Rob A

Did you have in mind recording, or playing on stage?

coachdobbs

Playing on stage. Just say I wanted a dry signal w/ no effects, running straight from the piano to two amps. Is that possible? I could just get a mono to stereo splitter box of some kind couldnt I?
1978 Fender Rhodes Stage 73 (3978) 
Roland JC-120 
BBE Sonic Maximizer 
Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble/1982 Boss CE-2/1982 Ibanez CS-9
1978 EHX Small Stone/EHX Polyphase
MXR Analogman Dyna/Ross
1974 Thomas Organ Wah

Cormac Long

You possibly could split the passive out or RCA into two mono feeds, one to each amp.

However I'm wondering if the passive signal can actually survive two amps drawing from it. I've never set up something like that before. So I'm not sure if that would really be an issue. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

Assuming it is an issue...

One possibility with two amps is to use a preamp out or effects loop out from one amp and route to an active input on the other. The output from the first will have been through a preamp, so you shouldn't use a passive guitar/mic input on the 2nd amp. Come to think of it....surely that's a common feature of guitar amps for daisy chaining?

A standalone mini mixer with passive inputs or an active di box with a Jack splitter will do a similar job of first applying a preamp. The output is then definitely splittable. The mixer option may provide more control here however by using multiple outputs, or a stereo left/right, each with its own volume adjustment.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Rob A

I'd be tempted to suggest carrying your own little mixer, so you have a complete self-contained monitor mix of your own at your fingertips. I got a used Behringer mixer for about 40 bucks. It seems like anything less is a lot more aggravation than it's worth.

We had a great thread earlier on splitting the harp to play left hand bass, but it doesn't sound like that's where you're going with your idea. But it's still a great thread, nice work sean.

Cormac Long

Quote from: Rob A on October 21, 2010, 08:02:45 AM
I'd be tempted to suggest carrying your own little mixer, so you have a complete self-contained monitor mix of your own at your fingertips.

Amen!

When my stereo speakers and amp could not properly amplify the passive out from my Rhodes, I went to a music gear shop looking for either a stand-alone pre-amp or a self-powered DI box. The guy in the store convinced me to get an el-cheapo Alesis mixer (~€100).

While its not the quietest (has a tendency to introduce noise from the pre-amp and gain etc), it does the job. It's also something that you or someone else will easily use in lots of applications, be it MIC mixing, recording etc.

In time. I'd like to get a better quality mixer and possibly one with a USB out so I can conveniently record etc with as little noise possible.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Rob A

Yeah, that's what was behind my question about recording vs. stage. It may not be viable for the ultimate low-noise studio, but on stage the limiting factor will be the loudmouths in the audience, not cheap ICs in the preamps.