News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Gold Piano Bass Production Survey

Started by Peacefrog35, November 22, 2010, 08:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peacefrog35

Ok, many of you know I've been interested in these for a long time and have had trouble figuring out just how many. I've heard different numbers with 20-30 being the highest.  I wonder if we could use this group as a starting point...perhaps figure out by serial numbers.

If you have one...post em if you got em!

This gold bass has 1165 on the gold tag where the serial number is  and on the harp has a stamp of RJ1567.   I'm not sure what this means...perhaps made in 65, `11th week?  Maybe the stamp means made in 67? I'm not sure.
I definitely want to get to the bottom of this.

Of the ones I"ve seen, different name rails, hardware and finish on cheeck blocks have been found. Let's list this info and see what we come up with.

and here's a pic of course.

current gear:
1965 Fender Rhodes Gold Sparkle Piano Bass
1962 Fender Rhodes white top piano bass
1966 Fender Rhodessilver sparkle piano bass
1968 Gibson G101 organ
1966 Vox 301H wood key conitnental
1968 Vox 301E Continental
1967 RMI 300A Electra-piano and Harpsichord

Peacefrog35

Serial Number

Tolex:  Brown or Black?

Name Rail:  Chrome or non mirror smooth
is output jack centered with the pots or to the far left?

Cheek Blocks:  wood painted black or wood stained to natural color?

Hardware:  rear lift off style hinges or older pin style as seen on Pre CBS Models
Dog bone handle or later style handle

Post a pic if you have one!

Thanks in advance!
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

Peacefrog35

current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

polyvoks

Best regards
OLIVIER
See my site :
http://olivier-grall.yusynth.net/
see the official RSF synths site :
http://perso.orange.fr/rsf.synth.official/cadre.html

Eminor

Hi Peacfrog,

I just purchased the Gold Sparkle Piano Bass that was recently listed on Ebay.  I'd mentioned this in the "buying" category where you were discussing it when it was listed but then I saw your production survey thread.  I've been trying to buy one of these for about 10 years and was starting to think it would never happen.

On the gold label under the cover the model # is BA 0196  but under the harp it's rubber stamped "9 66."  I'm assuming that means the 9th week of 1966?  The keys are wood under the white plastic ( which is different from the all plastic keys of my silver sparkle from the same year), the blocks are wood.     I'll get some pics of it up within a day or two.  I'm new to the forum but once I purchased this I had to tell someone who cared.

Eminor

Okay, finally got a chance to take some quick photos of the gold top.   I wonder if the one in the Doors movie is an authentic or a reproduction?  It looks real.

Peacefrog35

Hey Eminor!  Congrats. I saw that one on ebay and was so surprised it took lo long to sell. It's a sign of a bad market I guess,but you got a great piano bass there. I'd hang on to it for sure. I needed cash and was very close to selling mine...so glad I didn't!  That's like the Doors holy grail right there!
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

ForkintheRhodes

What's cool about the gold top is that for your Doors setup (actually big fan of yours, Peacefrog35, I'm actually Wonka275 on YouTube), it's the authentic color and style that Ray Manzarek used. Granted, I don't think his was a '62, which probably makes yours alot rarer than his (I assume) 1965 or '66 model that Robby Krieger's parents actually paid for, but still for authenticity that's pretty damn cool! Also, I envy your Havenhurst Connie. I love my English one to death, but I'd KILL for an American Connie! (JUST SAYING!)
1965 British Vox Continental
1967 Italian Vox Continental V-302
1979 Rhodes Mark I Suitcase 73
1980 Rhodes Mark II Stage 88
1968 Fender Rhodes Piano Bass
1957 Hammond M-3
2016 Hammond Sk-2
1964 Vox Buckingham Amplifier
1965 Vox Berkeley Amplifier
1968 Gibson G-101
1969 Vox Continental Baroque
1972 Fender Quad Reverb
1976 Leslie 860 Pro-Line

Eminor

I noticed it's been over 3 years since anyone's had anything to say about the Gold Sparkle Piano Bass.
Here are a few Youtube vids I made utilizing the bass for Doors tributes / tutorials.  Maybe this will spark some more conversation or drum up a few more owners.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTx4csVOIzg&list=PLZhQCzxV7ye1R0LtGWEY9I9YUOjyNADCS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-SoPq6dxbY&list=PLZhQCzxV7ye1R0LtGWEY9I9YUOjyNADCS&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2P0vUSTeQ&list=PLZhQCzxV7ye1R0LtGWEY9I9YUOjyNADCS&index=4

Peacefrog35

I managed to purchase another gold piano bass this spring. In great shape and full Manzarek spec with the shifted over 1/4 Jack and name rail slightly less chromy than what you see on 66 models.
I tried to post a pic and they wouldn't attach. I may try again later.
No serial number as the gold tag is gone,but I suspect it's a 1965.

current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

Peacefrog35

Ok, here are pics. All original.  Aside from some screw holes remaining after removing a bracket the previous owner installed on the case, it's in exceptional condition for its age.
There were 2 medium sized surface cigarette burns in the gold top, but Novus 1-2-3 polish took care of those in short order.

current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

Eminor

Wow, new piano bass (and the RMI) look spectacular.  2 gold sparkles basses....crazy, CRAZY!!  Dare I ask how you came upon the new one?  Also, I never noticed that Ray's bass had the output jack further left than most.  What's the story behind that?  Was that a feature of the '65 model or just an occasional random anomaly? 

Anyway, Congrats.  Very Cool!

Chris

Peacefrog35

Hey Chris!!! Thanks. Yes, Ray had the jack just over the low E which seems to only have been on 1965 basses. I'm not sure why they changed this as it helps keep the cord out of the way. The name rail is chrome like, but smoky and not as much like a mirror as the 66 versions and appears to be thicker...perhaps polished aluminium. Most of those also have the pin style hinges on the rear like Ray's.

I found this one a couple of months ago when I went to an antique store I frequent. The old guy I got it from had quite weird story about how long he had it,but I think he was building me up to purchase something he thought was junk.lol
The tolex was in great shape, but when i started cleaning it it started to smell like urine. After the cleaning and letting it sit in the sun for a couple of hours, I was relieved. Lol

Oh and the RMI I've had for about 3 weeks. I saw it on reverb for $200 and offered $100 plus shipping and he accepted my offer. It was non working, but cosmetically almost brand new. I got it repaired for $80 so it was a great deal!

Btw, I love your videos om You tube.  I have the rare acoustic 260 with the 261 power plus powered cabinet which is hard to find over the regular 261 cabinet, but you sir, have the elusive Jordan, The Boss amp. Hats off! Hens teeth!
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

Eminor

Great story about the finding the new bass. I love hearing that you can still find gems like that in an old antique store.  Seeing it in person and deciding to buy it right then and there is a better story than "I bought it unseen from some dude on Ebay."  Just when I thought I was set...well, I have something new to hunt for.

I have an RMI too but for some reason it's overall output is super low even after dumping $150 worth of repairs into it.  Did it come with a pedal that's needed for it to sound right?  I'm also missing the legs.

Yeah, the Jordan Boss amp took years to hunt down.  I'm not sure why they're so impossible to find but I couldn't even find a photo of one on the entire net except for pictures of bands and advertisements in the 60s.  Originally I thought maybe they were junk and got tossed but mine feels solid and sounds LOUD.  One turned up on Ebay 2 years ago and I jumped on it.  Now I'd like to get the slave unit that would feed off the amp like the Doors had but have yet to find one.   Also need to get the Acoustic 261 cab to go with my head.  The guitarist I play with has one so I play through his sometimes.    My favorite set up is the Vox and Gold bass coupled with the Jordan and Fender Bassman which seems like Ray's standard setup from around March to Sept. of 67.

Thanks for the kind words on the keyboard / Doors vids.  I want to get back to making more but the real world keeps me from getting back to it.  I did get a chance to play with Riders on the Storm a couple of weeks ago when Ryan wasn't available so that gave me a reason to brush up again.

Peacefrog35

Good stuff, Chris.  I,  too, have wondered why the Jordan amps are so scarce. It makes no sense.
My acoustic 261 is the super rare power plus like most of the ones the Doors had. They are powered cabinets that you can run without a head to add more power. You can tell by the same amber pilot like on the blue strip on the right side of the cabinet that is just like the light the head has.
These were made in smaller quantities than the non-powered cabinet.  It was on ebay as a pick up only in Chicago with a starting but of $400 and I was the only bidder!

My RMI does have the volume amd sustain pedal. The unit looks almost mint, but smelled of mold so i had to give it a good cleaning and that took care of it.

It is great having someone else be so into this stuff!

Chris
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

Eminor

Gold Sparkle top piano bass for sale on Reverb site.  $3500...yikes.

https://reverb.com/item/17346441-rhodes-fender-piano-bass-1965-sparkle-top-gold-vintage-just-like-the-doors

If I didn't have one I'd probably make a lower offer but I just can't justify it.  Now if it was the exact Ray model with the output jack in the right spot...

Good luck someone,
Chris

Peacefrog35

I saw that one too. Insane. It did look pretty clean though. As for the true Ray spec with the pin style pre -cbs rear hinges and hazy chrome name rail with jack over to the left, I've only seen 5 with those features in addition to my own and one was Ray's.
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

Eminor

I've come to the conclusion that Ray's first Vox was most likely a British Vox despite getting it from the Vox factory in California.  Time for me to start hunting again.