Author Topic: What about to replace white and wooden hammer tips by softer yellow ones?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Peter Cherry

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Hi,
I am quite annoyed by strong acoustic noise (clicks) caused by white and wooden hammer tips (the last 2 octaves).
Plus it seems to me, that sound of these octaves is rather aggresive and louder than mids and lows tones sound.

So my idea is to buy yellow hammer tips (are softer, the same are on mid octaves) and replace the white and wooden hammertips by them.

What do you thing about this idea and sound impact (I like softer sound)? Is there anybody with similar setup? I tried to replace one hammer tip, but it is hard to decide based on one tone.

Thanks
Peter

[mod note: duplicate of this post was removed at your request]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:20:44 AM by Rob A »

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
Re: What about to replace white and wooden hammer tips by softer yellow ones?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:18:04 AM »
It's a modification. My usual advice is to do adjustments first, then refurbishments, then if you can't attain your sound goal, modification. The person who owns your piano next will have to live with or reverse any mods you do, so think that through.

Having said that, I think it's a great way to attain a goal. You seem to know what you want to happen, it's within easy reach, and you can reverse it without unreasonable difficulty. So I think it's a very reasonable plan (I've never done this mod).

Offline Cormac Long

• Administrator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
    • The Electric Piano Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »
When I replaced my hammer tips, many of the upper wood/rubber tips came apart when removing them. The rubber split and the tip unraveled. So it may be a bit more destructive if you try removing these, especially if they are old. I think the newer tips are either plastic wrapped (or its a much harder rubber). They may weather removal more easily. Granted individual replacements will not break the bank.

But then I thought... if this is a Mark1 with the separate hammers, you could just unhook the bridle strap from a few suitable hammers in the mid ranges, and just relocate them to test positions in the upper treble.

If you've got the comb-variation, then maybe try relocating an entire comb section after unhooking all its straps. You probably don't even need to attach the straps for the test.

Just a thought.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Offline Peter Cherry

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 03:31:31 AM »
Thanks for reply, but before I replace hammers (tips) from MIDs to HIGHs for test - Did anybody try to use white or yellow tips on last octaves for a longer time period? Durability, sound, etc...

Offline Rob A

• Global Moderator
  • Mark V
  • Modal Globerator
    • View Profile
    • Rhodes buyer's guide
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:40:29 AM »
http://www.fenderrhodes.com/service/hammer-tips.php By Steve Woodyard indicates it was a fairly routine practice.

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=3291.msg13535;topicseen#msg13535

Seems most people did the opposite goal of yours though. No matter, it's up to you what you want it to sound like.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:42:29 AM by Rob A »

Offline Peter Cherry

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:40:06 AM »
Yes, I  have read these articles, but as you wrote, everything is about replacing soft tips by the harder ones.
But nobody replaced wooden ones by black or even yellow hammer tips. Why? Worse (too soft) sound? Durability? I don´t want to piss against the wind:)

But again, my biggest issue with wooden and black tips, is common annoying clapping acoustic noise (knocking, clipping) during playing (when the tip touches the tine).

Offline HernanBaldi

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sintetizadores.com.ar
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:15:24 AM »
Hi Peter

My advice is to follow a few steps before:

- Try to readjust strike line ( http://www.fenderrhodes.com/service/escapement.php ) you can get more sound on treble tines.

- Check (without the harp) that the hammer tips are not knocking the dampers, i mean plastic agains aluminum... this can cause a click.

- Check the volume and timbre on that notes, maybe you can get some gain on that area.
(I mean the low mid area.. so you can get a balance with the louder high)

IMHO, Soft hammers on the hi-range will give you less noise on the mechanism, but will add a lot of "thunk" on the audio...

Adiós !
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:21:32 AM by HernanBaldi »
Ing. Hernán Baldi
www.sintetizadores.com.ar
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Offline Peter Cherry

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »
Thanks for advice,
I think the strike line and escapement are fine. The click is definitely not caused by the damper (I tried to block dumper by hand and the click was the same). Maybe I should try to buy new hammer tips to see if it will be better. It is definitely better with yellow instead of wooden but as you said, the sound could be more thunky...
Peter