The Rhodes Mark 8

Started by Peter Hayes, May 20, 2021, 03:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derreny

Thanks for the link ! A good read and like you Id like to see exactly who this product is aimed at. The considerable price aside, its not totally clear (maybe it shouldnt be).
But truth is, I can get a lot of synth and piano for 10 grand.
No midi out of the box ???!?
P.s. have i missed something, or have vintage vibe stopped making the clavinet ?? (Understand this might not be the correct bit of the forum for such a question).

spave

https://rhodesmusic.com/rhodes-authorised-dealers/

Saw this on the Rhodes site today, looks like they are setting up a dealership network. I'm guessing its just for merch and parts (at least for the time being) as it seems the MK8's will only be available on their website. Maybe the network is laying the groundwork for a possible MK9? that could be sold off the shelf like a normal digital keyboard?

Interestingly, only one location on the list is considered a service center. That probably means the setup process is different enough for the MK8 that they don't feel comfortable giving that designation to places like CEPCo or Fender Rhodes LA without training them first.
1969 KMC Home Rhodes Prototype
1971 Suitcase Fender Rhodes
1977 Wurlitzer 270

dnarkosis

1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54

Dave

The MK8 will be at NAMM this weekend. If anyone checks it out, let us know what you think. It's received a lot of hype — can it live up to it?

spave

Quote from: Dave on June 02, 2022, 08:30:17 PMThe MK8 will be at NAMM this weekend. If anyone checks it out, let us know what you think. It's received a lot of hype — can it live up to it?

How about a demo by none other than Mr. Stevie Wonder?

https://youtu.be/HB-T95ZdQ2Y?t=818

Dr. Mix happened to be at the Rhodes booth when Stevie was there and caught a good portion of him playing the MK8. Stevie doesn't say anything about the MK8 itself in the video but he clearly enjoyed playing it.

Hearing Stevie play the MK8 makes me want to try one even more. It sounds really good in this demo and with the upcoming midi option it seems like it really could be the ultimate keyboard. I also heard a rumor that Rhodes might be leaving a demo unit in LA so I'll have to see if I can try one out soon.
1969 KMC Home Rhodes Prototype
1971 Suitcase Fender Rhodes
1977 Wurlitzer 270