News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

New Vintage Vibe Electric Pianos

Started by Chris Carroll, December 23, 2010, 11:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetWithTheTines

Well, the sound didn't disappoint. And that guy looked like he was really having a ball playing it. I doubt you'd see anyone enjoying playing a Nord that much. I would still like to see a video of the action, but of course there's no substitute for actually getting your hands on one.

Cormac Long

Some more videos below.. I wasn't messing earlier when I said, based on booth number that they would be within a tines throw of another tine piano vendor!.. but man.. right next door

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvdyGt6iFfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xskpaQlJnFo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8UjXwdd8CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAut3Sw0EuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQDr_T3SA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYUIlsE1xuU
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Cormac Long

Still waiting for some video of the harp raised!.. C'mon lads.. open her up!
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

bumpyrhode

So funny about their location. Maybe that's why the lid stays closed.
Wouldn't you like to be a fly in those booths?

Having done conventions myself (non music related), I appreciate the guys
are letting the pianos speak for themselves. No heavy pressure selling.

Looks like more activity going on in the VV display. 

Dote

Hi gang,

I must say hats off to Vintage Vibe for pulling this through. I have the utmost respect for them to bring this type of piano back to life without any long before roll out teasers.

Thinking about patent issues and trademarks, without having checked the facts, I think that all original Rhodes patents have long run out and they do not use any trademarks resembling anything Rhodes. I even tend to think, from the youtube-clips, that these pianos will have their own sound/character. I realy like what I hear.

I would love to see Wurly-style pianos in the future from VV, but I understand that the whole action and harp is much more complex and expensive to make, but maybe.

Again kudos to VV for all their support of vintage pianos and for the future of electric and electro-mechanic pianos.

If the price is right here in Europe I will definitely buy one.

@Chris: will you attend Musikmesse Frankfurt 2011? Have you found a german/european distributor? Thomann comes to mind?

I wonder if the stated local techs have received a piano yet (Jens?) ;)

Cheers,

Dominik

tylert

Sounds like a rhodes. I would like to hear it without the background noise though.. is there any proper demos up yet?

Nitrofunk

This is unbelieveable. Are you Guys coming to the Musikmesse in Frankfurt? I hope so...
Peter
Fender Rhodes Stage 73 ('76) - Boss GE-7 - Small Stone - Boss MD500 - Boss RV-6 - Roland Cube 60 (vintage)
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 88 ('74)
Wurlitzer 200a
Minimoog
Arp Odyssey
Prophet 10

martin

put me down for one!!!!!!!!! cant wait to try one!!! are you coming to the uk!!!!
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

Fred

Well, we're back from namm, and what a great experience. We met a lot of artists... CJ Vanston, Brian Auger And Stevie Wonder(!!!!) to name a few, all played our piano! Response was very positive, and we could not have asked for better neighbors. The Hammond guys where awesome, playing our pianos and pointing out all the greats (and even sending them our way)!

Moderator edit: edited to comply with posted forum rules.
Head Designer of the Vintage Vibe Tine Piano
Collector
Electric Piano Technician in New Haven, Ct.
(203) 824-1528

rockstardave

That is wicked awesome.  I want a  VVEP, and I ain't ashamed to say it :|

Can we puh-lease look under the hood now?

Moderator edit: edited to comply with posted forum rules.
Rhodes, Clav, Hammond, Pianet, still waiting for my Wurly.

martin

moderator edit: removed post to stay within posted forum rules.
'77 stage rhodes mark 1>'73 traynor ygl3a mark III>'60's selmer pa100sv>Wurly200a>Nord Stage Compact>hh ma100>1x12 fane twin cone speaker>smartlight pa>2xhz speakers>selmer pa100>Samson Auro D210 active pa cab

FerrorB

Hey All,
I am new here, Vintage Vibe is my first choice, I am planning to purchase or design own custom one-of-a-kind  vintage Fender Rhodes piano or Wurlitzer electric piano then there is no one better qualified to help my achieve custom vintage keyboard design and fabrication..  :)

Cormac Long

Saw this today on Twitter..

Quote@vintagevibekeys tune in to Letterman tonight on CBS to see a Bright Eyes performance featuring a Vintage Vibe piano!
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Cormac Long

Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Fred

Our "Television Debut"! You beat me to it, Cormac! =)
Collector
(203) 824-1528

GetWithTheTines

It was really hard to pick it out of the mix :-( At least it looked cool, though.

Fred, I've been checking the epc site and haven't seen much more info about it yet. Any idea when we can learn more about it? I'm seriously contemplating buying one.

Cormac Long

Still waiting for pictures of the inside..... come on guys put us out of our misery ;-)
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Cormac Long

VV have uploaded a video of the new piano.. sounds real nice. Still no view inside :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxU3HS7j2o
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

tylert

Just put $1000 in the bank yesterday to start my vintage vibe fund.  Just wondering if anybody ordered one yet and if so which one?  what do we do about a Case? I plan on using mine on tour and I haven't heard or seen a top or case being advertised.

Fred

Flight cases can be made custom, but we are DEFINITELY looking into a soft case as well.
Collector
(203) 824-1528

Cormac Long

A new video of the VV EP. I like this the best of all the demos so far. The tines are really well tested by the player and they sound absolutely wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfmVL2bipr0

The cool part is that there are two exposed harps and assemblies in the background.

You can see the harp is clearly reduced in size and weight as it contours with the reducing size of the tonebars. Its also vertically supported from the keybed assembly in line with the harp brackets. The side harp supports seem to be wood.

Here's a snapshot of the video at a point where it pans toward the exposed assemblies.

All in all these look to be very well thought out. Kudos to VV.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

PianoSam

Any plans in the near or distant future to do a 32-key Piano Bass style? Or is the 44-key model that's upcoming more in that area?

GetWithTheTines

Quote from: Fred on March 27, 2011, 12:03:32 AM
Flight cases can be made custom, but we are DEFINITELY looking into a soft case as well.

This is interesting. I have been wanting a flight case for my Wurlitzer, but I'm not satisfied with the options I've seen. Do you guys have one designed for them? I bet there would be a lot of interest.

Fred

Collector
(203) 824-1528

Cormac Long

Fantastic news guys.. Lets hope there won't be any exploding TV sets this time around
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Fred

Collector
(203) 824-1528

Cormac Long

Simon Beck has posted an interview with VV's Chris Carroll and Fred DiLeone....

Click Here
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

kphlx2000

Fender Rhodes Collector/Music Producer/Recording Engineer

Rob A

This raises the question of whether a Corona edition VVEP is out there.

Cormac Long

Also brings new meaning to the concept of a well lit workplace
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Cormac Long

Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

goldphinga

-----

goldphinga

Just bumping this thread.

goldphinga

-----

ideasculptor

If anyone wants to know about the VV ownership experience.  I've been playing a VV73 with midi and active electronics since late last year. I've probably played 40-50 shows with it (ranging in audience size from about 3 to 1000), have recorded a fair number of tracks with it, and mostly love it, but do have some reservations.

goldphinga

----

Fred

-----
Collector
(203) 824-1528

jbarkley00

About to acquire one of these beautiful things... Anyone here have one? Looking for any pros and cons

Jenzz

Hi .-)

This is my small setup since Nov. 2015... and lovin' it for sound and portabiity .-)

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

zoooombiex

Old thread, but there isn't much info out there from regular owners so I thought I'd offer my experience FWIW.

I bought a VV64 Deluxe used, but it was basically unplayed. The original buyer had to flip it for financial reasons. For reference, my other rhodes are Mark V's and a Mark I.

My main takeaways so far:

-the VV is ridiculously light and portable. not just a little better like the 54's and the Mark V's.  way way better. like, carry it under one arm with something in the other hand, better. for some gigs that might make the difference in whether i would bring a EP or something like a Nord.

-the action is excellent. nothing at all like the Mark I (mine is pretty much stock, and very spongy). the VV is super fast and snappy, with a very defined stop at the bottom of the key travel. it feels like the overall key travel is shorter than the mark V's, though I haven't measured. i'm pretty used to the mark V as my reference for good rhodes action, so i wouldn't necessarily say the VV is "better", but it's certainly not worse. excellent, but a different feel.

-very clean sound (little/no hum)

-i had a bad pickup when i opened it. maybe that was just a fluke or it happened during shipping. but i've had a lot of rhodes shipped to me and never had one arrive with a broken pickup. again could be a fluke, and VV sent me a replacement very quickly. it was easy to install and has been fine since.

-the sound is a little tamer than my mark V's. when i just play it by itself, it sounds beautiful and I have no complaints. but when i've had it side by side with the mark V's, the VV's high end seems almost dull by comparison.  I spent a little time trying some different pickup placements and adjustments to the tines but couldn't capture that extreme clarity I get from the V's. but that's not to say it might not be possible. and again, when i just sit down and play it i never feel like it is lacking anything at all. so it's very much a taste thing.

-i'm interested to see how it holds up physically. i'm pretty careful with my gear. other than the pickup it has been fine. but there's that ironic suspicion of whether something so much lighter will hold up as well.

-i wish the lid were flat, as (just like the mark I's) it makes putting other boards/effects/etc on top tricky. maybe they make a flat option? i've seen some comments about the lids not holding as much weight as the rhodes (introducing buzz on keys), and the VV material does seem to have more give. i usually stack a D6 on my rhodes without any issues, but i'm not sure i'd be comfortable doing that with the VV. but lighter stuff seems fine.

Finally, FWIW, here is a recent set where i used the VV. it's a more experimental set overall, but there is some cleaner playing in the middle and towards the end

https://youtu.be/0NffbWrxtLU?t=14m30s

sookwinder

Hi guys... another post to this older thread.

This delightful Vintage Vibe 64 EP in Lilac sparkle arrived on my doorstep here in Australia a couple of days ago.
My first impressions of the EP leave me speechless ... I am over the moon. 
Earlier posts have said how great these VV EPs are , but let me just reiterate how awesome the key action and the sound is on the VV64.

I already have a 1973 Rhodes, Wurli 206A/200A, Pianet N & T and this VV64 has a voice of its own that fits in perfectly and fill a gap at the same time.
What is great is that the sound with the active electronics can achieve a multitude of styles and feels   ...   totally different to my Mk1 Rhodes or my Wurli 206A/200A

The fit and finish of the instrument is first class, the quality of the parts used, the design, the fitment is very impressive.
Little things have blown me away... like the location of the on/off switch ... yes you need an on/off switch, but it doesn't need to be staring you in the face when you play. 
Again discussing the action of the keys ... they make playing just so easy ... to use an auto industry metaphor ... while I love my 1973 Rhodes , comparing the action of the Rhodes to the VV64 is like comparing the steering of a 70s Chevrolet to a 2017 Chevy SS  -  chalk and cheese.
The Lilac sparkle top is perfect .. both in colour and in the finish surface.
I also like the fact that the active electronics allow a guitar to be plugged into the return and utilise the preamp FX.

In short ...  this VV64 is a superb instrument.
Plus communication with Chris and the VV guys was easy.

David

Late 60s Pianet N - Late 70s Pianet T - Ensoniq ESQ1 - Hammond XK2 - Wurli 206A converted to a 200A - 1973 Rhodes Stage 73 - Roland RD150 - Vintage Vibe 64 EP - s**t load of guitars, basses & amps

d-rock

Wow! Gorgeous. Such a nice collection of pastels.

eddie_bowers

Cool article I ran into while searching for what Rhodes was used on Midnight Rider.
https://www.emusician.com/thewire/peter-levin-brings-vintage-vibe-to-muscle-shoals-sessions-at-fame-studios
It's not linked from the VV site or mentioned, but it's practically and ad for them.

Back to the song. For me it's the quintessential tone of a Rhoads.

Philly73rhodes78

The cost a fortune but reduced weight to about 50LBS according to their promo

FrankP91

Hello everybody,
I'm an owner of a wonderful 2016 Vintage Vibe Piano (classic model) and jazz musician.
I would like to take a moment to give my "review" and tell my experience, both about the product and about the Vintage Vibe Staff.

First of all, a little reference of what I like to do with the VV: a song I've recorded this summer with my electric trio.

Harlem Dawn by the great Bob James, played with the arrangement of a great influence, friend and teacher, that I suggest everybody to check out: Mr Harold Mabern Jr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlXcEiWTfyM

Vintage Vibe Piano

To me, the most complete, versatile, responsive and manageable solution for the professional pianist, who, like me, wants to start sinking his teeth in the electric piano world. I'm the proud owner of a Vintage Vibe 2016 Classic Model and couldn't be happier: the action is pure butter, the weight is absolutely suitable, both for studio and gigs, the sound...well, it deserves a few words.
I use a Fender Deville amp and I can't describe how much the Vintage Vibe Sound can be versatile and, combined with the amp regulation, go in so many different directions. It can be velvet, it can be spicy and barking.
I'm not a guy who uses pedals or effects: by nature I seek what a "traditional" jazz musician seeks for, but I tell you that this piano can be a Pandora's box in terms of sound regulation.
Wow. I've had colleagues and owners of Nord pianos come to my house and leave with a: "F**k: frank's piano is really something else".

Staff

Fred di Leone is a phenomenal guy, always available, caring and professional. I won't go in details about how much he has done for me with this piano. Suffice to say, I bought my VV as a used instrument and he made it a mission to help me bring the best out of number 262.
Fred and Chris immediately embraced my Harlem Dawn Project and proved that they are not just shop owners and technicians, but people who genuinely care about the message their piano conveys. Personally, I love being part of a community that cares about the aftermarket and about the music, which may seem obvious but in 2020 is not something to give for granted

Thanks VV Guys!

Frank Piccinini
-Vintage Vibe 64 Classic with Variable Voice-
-Wurlitzer 106 Pupil with Vintage Vibe preamp and fx loop-
-Vintage Vibe Prototype Bass Piano-
Clavinet E7-
-Hawkes & Son Keyboard Glockenspiel (1912)

Former: Rhodes MkV, Hohner Pianet N, Hohner Pianet Combo, Logan String Melody, Korg Dw 8000, Oberheim Matrix 1000

Filmosound 621

^^ nice post and playing, Frank.  :)

hello everyone.  :)

new member here from Hamburg, Germany, I got into E-Piano playing only recently, maybe 2 months ago,

after two years on the Yamaha upright Piano and more years on the guitar.  I am born in 1968.

I found a used VV64 from 2013 in the local classifieds and went for it, after some web-research.

What a sweet instrument it is, I am a big fan now and already found my second one ...  :)

pic from the cherry red VV64, much nicer in person, now sold to make way for my new one.

the second Vintage Vibe Piano is a dream come true, I found a like new 2018 black sparkle deluxe on the used market,

it even has the Stereo Console.

here it is, it arrived yesterday, looks like the milkyway in the night sky with lots of colorful stars.

It is not easy to get user information of these, as there is not much discussion going on,

neither here, nor elsewhere.

I am in love with the product, the company, the people.

so happy to be an enthusiastic part of it.

kind regards

Jan  :)

Jenzz

Hi .-)

This red VV was once owned by board member 'Nitrofunk'... Looks like it is in good shape since 2013 :-)

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

Nitrofunk

Those were the days :-). Here are some visuals of this exact piano from 2013 (on the left, under the Moog Prodigy ... it isn't played on the audio, though).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feqopia_rbs

Fender Rhodes Stage 73 ('76) - Boss GE-7 - Small Stone - Boss MD500 - Boss RV-6 - Roland Cube 60 (vintage)
Wurlitzer 200a
Minimoog
Arp Odyssey
Prophet 10

Nitrofunk

By the way: This red one was the first that came to Germany and (I think) the third one in europe :-). I bought it from ep-service in the Netherlands.
Have fun with it :-)!
Peter
Wurlitzer 200a
Minimoog
Arp Odyssey
Prophet 10

Filmosound 621

thanks for the head-up guys, three 'ermans on an American based board, I hate it.   ;)

but thanks for the Info on the cherry red # 77, now sold ...

anyway, let me share with you all what I believe to be the ultimate E-Piano home set-up:

the dear sparkle-top active deluxe with two freakin' Ampeg M-15 Amps ( second one came via UPS from Italy today ... )

build in 1959, 20 Watts from two 6L6, 15" Alnico Speakers  :) - these two Amps are upgraded with Altec Lansing 418B's.  :)

Octal pre-amp tubes for all that warmth, shimmer and dynamics one can think of.

these are octal amps that stay clean once turned up in volume, there is nothing like them out there.

non compressed vintage tone, true magical 3D sound.  :)

kind regards from Hamburgo, rock and roll.

:)