Crackling Noise when I press a Key...

Started by Nitrofunk, January 16, 2011, 02:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitrofunk

Hi!
I recently got some Static Issues on my Suitcase 88 from 1974: When I press down a Key, you can hear a short, quiet (but noticeable) crackling Noise. I guess the Dampers cause this Static Noise. How can I solve this Problem?
Thanks!
Peter
Fender Rhodes Stage 73 ('76) - Boss GE-7 - Small Stone - Boss MD500 - Boss RV-6 - Roland Cube 60 (vintage)
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 88 ('74)
Wurlitzer 200a
Minimoog
Arp Odyssey
Prophet 10

Cormac Long

Peter,
    if possible can you grab a recording of the noise and maybe attach an mp3 to a reply? It might help people identify the cause.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

mugen441

go t the same problem with a mkI from 75 , stage model , ive seen that the noise is in the 8-10khz range

sean

Does this noise also show up when you depress the sustain pedal?

Is the sustain bar grounded?  On Mark I pianos with wooden harp supports it needs a little ground wire.

Is the RCA jack at the back left of the harp excessively corroded?  If it has a layer of insulating oxide, you could be starting to get "my Rhodes is an antenna" noise.

Are all the grounds on the harp frame clean and tight?  Check the lock-washer solder terminals, the tape folded over to the underside of the pickup rail, etc.

Are your 1/4" jacks on the front of the piano clean?  Does the noise go away when you use a guitar cable to short between accessory 1 and accessory 2?

Does the noise persist when you bypass the preamp by plugging an RCA-to-amp cable directly into the RCA jack on the harp?

If you stick your fingers in your ears, can you still hear the noise?

One of these will probably work.

Sean

Cookymonster

Quote from: sean on March 15, 2021, 10:32:00 AM

If you stick your fingers in your ears, can you still hear the noise?

Sean

:D :D :) ;)
I will turn all my mountains into rhodes.

WurlieNewbie

I had the same issue with my Stage Mark 1 and discovered the pick-ups for those specific keys weren't screwed in tight enough.  While voicing, I loosened them and never screwed them tighter after I was done.  Hope this helps.