News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Video clip of my Mk II suitcase & minimoog

Started by drcarver, February 27, 2011, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drcarver

I just took delivery of my new Moog voyager, and decided to do a short clip alongside my trusty Rhodes.  The Rhodes/Moog combo is tough to beat! :)

http://vimeo.com/20411576

willstring

sounds awesome man!  did you paint the harp cover white?  looks sick dude. 

keep up the good work.

drcarver

Thanks ;D

Yeah I did new tolex/grille cloth last year, and recently hit the lid with some new paint.

Miguel Tuna

Hi Carver,

Thanks for the reply on my topic.

I started to work with music software 2 weeks ago, borrowed a MIDI keyboard from a friend, and I'm in love with a Moog VST (Minimonsta, not the real thing, of course, but very, very good). Loved your video, your Rhodes tone reminds me a bit of Jamiroquai and Bob James, very nice. What's your recording setup?
'79 Mk1 Suitcase

Miguel Tuna

Portugal

Dan Belcher

Damn. That's awesome. Great playing, great Rhodes tone, funky Moog sounds. Love it!
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73

drcarver

Thanks for the kind words...I'm glad you guys dig it. ;D 

The melody that repeats throughout is from a tune on a solo project I'm releasing later this year (pardon the shameless plug!).  So keep an eye out for it.

Miguel:  I love your tone/playing.  I'd really like to hear a bit more. :)

I've tried to keep my setup simple, as outboard gear tends to vary quite a bit from session to session.  Right now, I'm running it in stereo out of a Speakeasy power unit, into my pedalboard, which has my go-to effects (Chorus, Phase, delay, OD, and reverb). I also run a Wampler compressor at its lowest setting at the beginning of the chain.  Form there, it goes straight into protools with a small amount of Eq. and thats it.  For this video, I also had a crybaby in the effects loop, but only engaged it when I wanted the wah.  99% of the tone is in the voicing/setup, which for me is a never-ending search.  Right now, I'm going for a more fundamental tone, with lots of attack and minimal "bell" tone.